land warrior kinda

aimpoint

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i guess thats the same kind of idea LHH, only 'neater' looking :D

bullzebub.. sure.. i'm all cack-handed when it comes to electronics.

dont tell anyone i soldered the electronic parts on the bouys/beacons on the entrance channel part where the herald of free enterprise capsized... :o

well.. if its based on alandwarrior system, that frankly, has a lot of growing pains to get through to any stage of widespread operational depolyment, i cant see how 'milsim' people could possibly complain - they arent likely to know what shape or form the gear can or will take in the future.

and besides, this is partially for entertainment purposes so who gives a *beep*?

i am 'one of those' milsim types [not completely, hell i have BHI gear in my wardrobe!!!] and i certainly have no issue with it.

as for AK's why the hell not? if i still had my AK's i wouldve done it by now!

reminds me - you could always mod a GP25 launcher..?

sorry agent47 work is comeing along slowly as that screen i got was a peice of cr*p so iv had to sell it,i wont be investing in a new screen for a while as im trying to buy my first car at the moment,however the gun mount is finished il post some pics when i get my digicam working again

You are probably past this, but a saw a very cheap camera you could use. I saw it in my local motorbike shop, and it is about the size of a credit card. It was made to mount on a motorbike, so it is very tough and shock proof. It costs about £40, so if it breaks you haven't lost loads of cash.

Torn

• 2 weeks later...

sorry guys the project has taken a bit of a nose dive because i cant find a small enough screen with desent resolution thats cheap,however i will keep everything ihave produced because i should be able to finish it off in a few months when i have a bit more cash(should hav got my car by then so i can spend on airsoft again ;) ) anyways sorry for the hold up,il update when things get back on track again

• 3 weeks later...

Hey aimpoint...sorry to burst your bubble...

but...

I think Aero Solution and Aimpoint beat you to it already.

21.jpg

Aero Solution Scope cam (non reddot)

22.jpg

Aimpoint Red-dot scope cam (sorry, only a side view)

23.jpg

Goggles with viewscreen attached

24.jpg

custom-glock.com representative demonstrating the Aimpoint camera

25.jpg

custom-glock.com representative demonstrating Aero Solution camera

Now start saving up, kid. :D

I had an idea using 2 An/peq 2 boxes.

One would be on the right side of my m4, and would hold a night vision? daytime camera, and battery, (i wouldnt keep it on all day mind you) just when I put it around a corner. The Other on the left would contain a wireless adapter. the reciever would be in a camelbackwith wires running up into a foldable screen on the helmet.

Il have some pics up tomorrow.

Agent47 - i think the idea was for something reasonable !!!

i doubt i'd be able to afford Aero/Aimpoints solution..

the only stumbling block that i, and aimpoint had, was the cost of a high-resolution mini-screen, that we can fold out of the way.

the fold out is already solved - use a NVG flip up mount.

For non-helmet applications i'm thinking a clansman type affair would fit nicely, or just headmounted flip-up NVG mounts again [bit expensive though].

the screen - well ive already been down the route of the hand-held tv's and their res is ######.

my mpeg4 recorder/viewer screen is better than the handheld tv but its still a bit pants and i dont want us$200 worth of digital gear getting busted because it sits in front of my head.

[ive run head first into so many things, i know what my equipment would be facing!]

so , no it is not a new idea, its been done many times, i myself have been running this kind of mountable camera for - well its in its 3rd year i suppose - but the idea is something more possible for us 'civvies' or those on a budget..

also, some games say that hits on your weapon count, so thats why i dont use my gun camera very much - it simply increases the risk of me being out of a game.

Hey aimpoint...sorry to burst your bubble...

but...

I think Aero Solution and Aimpoint beat you to it already.

Now start saving up, kid. :D

and that will cost how may thousands :huh: the idea was to build a inexpensive L.W system for airsoft use

and i dont appreciate being called *kid* :angry:

Agent47 - i think the idea was for something reasonable !!!

i doubt i'd be able to afford Aero/Aimpoints solution..

the only stumbling block that i, and aimpoint had, was the cost of a high-resolution mini-screen, that we can fold out of the way.

the fold out is already solved - use a NVG flip up mount.

For non-helmet applications i'm thinking a clansman type affair would fit nicely, or just headmounted flip-up NVG mounts again [bit expensive though].

the screen - well ive already been down the route of the hand-held tv's and their res is ######.

my mpeg4 recorder/viewer screen is better than the handheld tv but its still a bit pants and i dont want us$200 worth of digital gear getting busted because it sits in front of my head.

[ive run head first into so many things, i know what my equipment would be facing!]

so , no it is not a new idea, its been done many times, i myself have been running this kind of mountable camera for - well its in its 3rd year i suppose - but the idea is something more possible for us 'civvies' or those on a budget..

also, some games say that hits on your weapon count, so thats why i dont use my gun camera very much - it simply increases the risk of me being out of a game.

as oikoik points out this system has been about for a while and he himself has been useing it for a few years

and that a desent small screen with high res are about as rare as rocking horse *beep*,

now as i am saveing for a car the screen is at the bottom of my list of things to get so when i have that i well be reopenig this project and finnishing it,as i only have the screen to get.

• 2 weeks later...

ive taken apart a couple of camcorders, not precisely for this reason, but ive fiddled with them anyway..and.. well, theyre fiddly :)

i'm not hot with electronics myself so maybe someone could work out a simple system that transfers the ribbon cable that the flip out lcd screen uses into a easily-sourced cable that will allow you to source your battery and video in/out needs.

i guess what we really need is one of those camcorders that is modular, so you can split it up into different bits you need into different places.

modern - and expensive - video cameras can do this already to a certain degree - the mini screen is remote capable, the recorder can be a seperate deck on its own, all leaving the camera in a smaller and easier to place unit.

trouble is.. cost again..

heres one idea though - still using my mini mpeg4 recorder [even though record quality is naff, if its purely to view stuff i guess its ok] - its about the size of a small sony minidisc player, 2.5" screen i think - if i make a polycarbonate box for it thats relatively bomb-proof and weather proof [my stuff seems to fog easily/get damp easily if im moving from internal to extrenal locations on a damp wet cold day alot..] and some how have it in a drop-down unit or swing down unit from the top [either head or helmet mounted] then the back is always facing the front [saves the screen] ..

well, i'll get round to it.. when i have enough spare cash and time..

• 2 weeks later...

Umm.. only just jumped into this thread but has anyone considered buying an old camcorder, Hi 8 or similar, and stripping out the viewfinder? video camera View finders are generally monochrome but high quality! Even the lager ones could be mounted on the side of a helmet with two mirrors / \ like that, and voila. Monacle HUD! make the objective mirror two way and you have superimposed images! esp if rigged with b/w security cam and IR illuminator! sorry am using too many exclamation marks cos i've been thinking this one over for two years the proj goes into operation in late april (after expencive holiday in California.

a small laptop with a capture card and a HUGE Hard drive? it's taken about twenty years for strait-to-disc cameras to get up-and-running and even now there are problems! stick to tapes for now and encode at home! There is a box that encodes uncompressed media to MPEG formats it's 50x5x40cm and runs off the mains!

you can actually do recording straight to disc reliably and cheaply.

i do it with my mpeg4 recorder - it has a screen, but accepts external inputs and can dump it straight to memory cards.

there are other systems, exactly the same only better quality but for 2 or 3 times the price.

once the price of these comes down, then itll be affordable for everyone.

getting it onto computer and editing is easy.

the other option is also what i do - record straight onto dv tape, and edit like you normally do with dv movies on your computer.

Archived