TSI Armories™ Galil Series Review

Agent47: I use a single point sling attached at the sling mount on the rear left of the receiver.

Naw, that's not what I meant. I don't know much about Galils (other than they being God Sexy rifles :D) but I can't help but notice its kinda square-ish than what I'm used to seeing. Don't want to sound like a jerk for saying this so sorry if I sound like that. :(

Compare the receiver to the ones here: http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/sma...alil/Galil.html

(Magwell is more raised in those)

Hmmm... To be honest, I'm not sure. It's possible that certain small changes had to be made to work around the Version 3 gear box. It's also possible that there are some discrepancies between RS Galils.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received my replacement pistol grips! And TSI called me this afternoon to let me know that the new SAR/ARM top covers with the functional rear sight are ready, and to send in my original. Will update everyone with the new additions when installed. Looks like everything is still business as usual over there at TSI. ^_^

Regarding the website, I was informed that it should be back up in the next few days, just down for a touch of maintenance.

Pics of the replacement grip. Even better than the originals (not just in terms of the corrected color) but also because it's a slightly tighter fit than the samples were. Very nice! ^_^

galilgrip01smallet7.jpg

I added rubber bike tubing to mine for a little extra grip (SF Style YEAH!!!):

galilgrip02smallsn9.jpg

Will update with new pics regarding the replacement SAR/ARM top cover soon.

• 2 weeks later...

TSI Armories website is back up! Also a lot of updates appear to have been done to the website. Additions include: IDF Infantry Vest (appears to be real) available in OD and Tan. They're also now listing the Mag Adapter for Galils and AKs. Also, last I heard about Tavor development was that it'll be a Version 3 Gear Box, and will be compatible with standard M4 mags.

This may be a VERY stupid question, so please don't beat me with a rifle stock for asking :P

But given the very close pricing of these rifles to the PTW, how do they compare? I mean, the PTW at least tries to justify its price with the "extra" features it has over a normal AEG....what about the TSI Galil...

Obviously I'm asking this of the people who have been fortunate enough to have handled and used both weapon systems, so please, no arm chair gun slingers ;)

Curious - what would be the advantageous features that a PTW has that one of these doesn't?

I've handled a PTW - and yes, I was impressed by its heft and by its robustness (which a TSI Galil appears to have by the bucket full). But on the other hand, as I understand it, almost all "standard" internals won't fit it them, and they don't even accept off-the-shelf magazines.

Whereas a TSI Galil wins on both of these counts. And, in the UK anyways, the Galil will be less expensive to import than a PTW would be to buy from a retailer.

So, I liked it so much I bought one. :D

This may be a VERY stupid question, so please don't beat me with a rifle stock for asking :P

But given the very close pricing of these rifles to the PTW, how do they compare? I mean, the PTW at least tries to justify its price with the "extra" features it has over a normal AEG....what about the TSI Galil...

Obviously I'm asking this of the people who have been fortunate enough to have handled and used both weapon systems, so please, no arm chair gun slingers ;)

Maple-Leaf pretty much hit the nail on the head. There's a lot of reasons. Magazines: I've been buying the new VFC AK74 mid-caps and they've been performing flawlessly... and only cost $16 each. Compare that to $46 for the PTW. Then let's look at the materials used for the receivers. The PTW is made from cast metals that most PTW owners complain about. The Galil is made from CNC aluminum and most other external parts are steel and CNC'ed. Internally the Galil is still a regular AK, so the parts are commonly found. The PTW is very much proprietary. From what I've seen the Galil out shoots the PTW as well. That said, the PTW still has three features that I simply love about it above all other AEGs: the quick swap cylinders, the auto-stop on the last shot fired, and the robustness of the internals (so long as you keep them dry and clean). Still does the value of the PTW out weigh that of the Galil? Hard to say. What I do know, is that I've spent way more than $1,000 on some of guns to get it to the same level as the Galil is in stock/default condition from TSI. To me, it was worth the price. Furthermore, having seen most of the other Galils out there on the market today, there isn't a single one that is on the same level as the TSI Galil.

To me, it was worth the price. Furthermore, having seen most of the other Galils out there on the market today, there isn't a single one that is on the same level as the TSI Galil.

The Avalon Galil does out do the TSI in functionality/realism. The Ambidextrious selector switch actually does work on the left side near the thumb area, where as the TSI's are just cosmetic. They also are roughly around the same price range.

I still would rather have a TSI though just because they make the Micro Galil which is my favorite Galil varients.

Edited by BoE.Solidius
The Avalon Galil does out do the TSI in functionality/realism. The Ambidextrious selector switch actually does work on the left side near the thumb area, where as the TSI's are just cosmetic. They also are roughly around the same price range.

I still would rather have a TSI though just because they make the Micro Galil which is my favorite Galil varients.

Sorry, you are in error. It sounds like you've never handled a TSI Galil. All the TSI Galil's left side selectors are 100% functional. I would very much like confirmation from someone with first hand experience as to whether or not the Avalon Galil's left selector is functional. All reports I have heard so far is that it isn't on the Avalon, and that the Avalon is 100% clone of the Inokatsu (which has molded the left side selector molded into the pistol grip).

Please check your facts.

I keep hearing the different story over and over from numerous websites saying Avolon is as real is it comes along with the working left side selctor switch. From what I read from searching TSI is that the selector switch left side was just cosmetic like the Inokatsu. Comfirmation from an owner I guess now proves otherwise.

Its not error but confusion.

Well, you can clearly see from USMC's report and photos that the left-side selector on the TSI is functional.

Who's word do we have for the Avalon version? It would be interesting to know for sure whether it is or isn't functional - but for me that one detail wouldn't be a deal-breaker. I'd still rather have a TSI one for all the other reasons.

I have to say though; I do like the quick-change spring and the last-shot-hold-open features of the PTW. But then real-steel AKs and Galils don't have a bolt-hold-open feature anyways - so again, that ain't a deal-breaker for me.