Muslim community angered at picture of an adorable puppy

TheKurodaVagrant

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...cemans-hat.html

"The advert has upset Muslims because dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee have refused to display the advert."

"His incredible world-wide popularity - he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website - led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number."

What I don't understand is how they can demand tolerance of their cultural beliefs when they obviously aren't tolerant of everyone else's. <_<

It's in the local papers as well and is rightly being called *fruitcage* ridiculous. If it was a poster targeted at the Muslim community I could understand some upset but this is merely offering general information about a phone number change. What a cute dog has to do with that I don't know but it obviously isn't placed there to offend anyone.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/07...y11584931t0.asp

What I don't understand is why people seem to think the Daily Fail doesn't sensationalize, exaggerate, and when all else fails invent the racist schlock horror garbage they have the brass ballcocks to call news.

Seriously- if Muslims spent their life being offended by pictures of dogs, they'd never be able to turn on the tele or walk the bloody streets in the UK...

I see you're based in the states, so I pardon you, but think of the Daily Fail as the UK equivalent of the Weekly World News (christ, they even have a picture of an alien from the Welsh Roswell on the website you linked- come on!), but with an overtly intolerant attitude and you get the general idea.

EDIT: Chimpy, which local newspapers? A google search turned up the usual suspects of the Mail, the Mail on Sunday, the BNP, the Sherman foundation, and vasrious other homophobic organisations.

nothing on the BBC, I notice... nothing in the Herald, either...

this looks to me like another bloody hate campaign with little or no evidence or support from any "real" news agency.

Chimpy- from reading that report from the courier, theres no actual serious, tangible evidence that anyone actually complained other than the counselor.

"The choice of image on the card —a black dog sitting in a police officer’s hat—has now been raised with Chief Constable John Vine.

It is understood that Muslims have been upset by it because dogs are considered ritually unclean. Some shopkeepers have been refusing to display the advert.

Dundee councillor Mohammed Asif said last night, “My concern was that it’s not welcomed by all communities, with the dog on the cards. It was probably a waste of resources going to these communities.

“They (the police) should have understood. Since then the police have explained that it was an oversight on their part, and that if they’d seen it was going to cause upset they wouldn’t have done it.”

Councillor Asif, who is a member of the Tayside Joint Police Board, said that the force had a diversity adviser and was generally very aware of such issues.

He raised the matter with Mr Vine at a meeting of the board yesterday. The chief constable said he was unaware of the concerns, that the force had not sought to cause any upset and that he would look into it.

Councillor Asif indicated last night that he was “quite happy” with the explanation given, and stated that he had brought the matter to the board to reflect complaints he had received.

“People who have shops just won’t put up the postcard,” he continued. “But the police have said to me that it was simply an oversight and they did not seek to offend or upset.”

Cards featuring police dog in training Rebel have been distributed to communities throughout the area to advertise the single number point of contact for non-emergency calls to the police.

German shepherd Rebel has generally proved a popular recruit for the force, with huge numbers of people reading his on-line training diary.

A police spokesman said last night, “Trainee police dog Rebel has proved extremely popular with children and adults since being introduced to the public, aged six weeks old, as Tayside Police’s newest canine recruit.

“His incredible world-wide popularity—he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website—led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number.

“We did not seek advice from the force’s diversity adviser prior to publishing and distributing the postcards. That was an oversight and we apologise for any offence caused.”

for all we know, this was one angry idiot who phoned to complain, and now its spiralling out of control.

What I want to see is some actual evidence...

Oh look, now Fox is carrying the story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374564,00.html

same bloody story as the courier and Mail are carrying, though now its a "cute wide-eyed puppy" who "muslims" (not one or two, not a minority, but muslims in general) find offensive.

Sorry, everyone, not meaning to get fired up, but this sort of biased, lousy reporting of what is probably an EXTREMELY isolated incident, if that, makes me angry.

Ah, newspapers - gotta love 'em. They give me something to sneer at as I walk straight past them to buy something more useful and entertaining - broccoli for example. I don't care how many CD's you're giving away, how many supplements you throw in for free or how many nipples you show per page - I'll stick to the internet for information and opinion (and nipples), thank you.

EDIT: How do Fox News manage to get away with calling themselves that, by the way? It's like calling my local butcher shop Dave's Pogo Stick Emporium (that's his name - Dave. If anyone ever goes on a killing spree and leaves calling cards in the name of Dave The Butcher, I'll be straight on to Crimestoppers).

Oh I don't know Pablo, The paper themselfs make a nice crackly sound while being burnt for a fire and sometimes they can have some semi decent freebies. Also not to troll however but the internet may I add can be just as informing and misleading as IRL papers.

Also not to troll however but the internet may I add can be just as informing and misleading as IRL papers.

Yes, but with the internet you get the good stuff AND the spam.

Spampapers - that's a good name. The Daily Spam it is.

Am sorry but I disagree, after all that is a bit biased relying on a source of one medium yet not of another.

Can't we just go back to "love it or leave it"? Like, they have issues with cute puppies. Point them in the general direction of Middle East and tell to GTFO. Problem solved.

And should we do the same to the Jews who don't eat pork for it not being 'Kosher'? ;)

And should we do the same to the Jews who don't eat pork for it not being 'Kosher'? ;)

Aw but they gave us battered fish, so can't they stay? ;)

It does amuse me when I hear "Muslims offended by X" stories, especially ones about how they are offended by pigs (yet you never hear about Jews being offended), and it makes me think back to the several pigs they had in a zoo in Taif, that mountain which is rather close to Mecca...

Am sorry but I disagree, after all that is a bit biased relying on a source of one medium yet not of another.

No worries (why apologise?), though of course the newspapers are also available as an online resource, so I'm not actually discounting any sources at all :D

I just don't buy newspapers.

Covered in The Telegraph as well: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2229719/Ap...complaints.html

I'd like to know how they worded that apology.

Dear Religion of Peace,

Sorry for putting a puppy on our advert.

Sincerely,

The Police

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a councillor is in a position where he represents a certain group, no? It's not like some random wacko on the street was offended and then the news stirred up. When a councillor is chosen to represent a group and this said councillor states that the dog offends muslims, I think it's fair to report that muslims were offended. If this statement is incorrect, then it's the incompetence of the councillor, not the newspapers.

Further, as there are numerous examples where this kind of complaints lead to special treatment, I would say that there is a fair point in being concerned about these issues. Even in this case the police is apologizing "just to be sure". Of course it's not the immigrants' or muslims' fault if your (and our) political leaders and government officials play along with this kind of complaints and demands.

As for jews also considering certain animals unclean... It's a moot point because I don't recall jews making any special demands in the society.

-Sale

No worries (why apologise?), though of course the newspapers are also available as an online resource, so I'm not actually discounting any sources at all biggrin.gif

I just don't buy newspapers.

Ah, now the penny drops for me. I actually thought you also excluded any/all newspaper websites as well. Again my apologies.

Aw but they gave us battered fish, so can't they stay?wink.gif

It does amuse me when I hear "Muslims offended by X" stories, especially ones about how they are offended by pigs (yet you never hear about Jews being offended), and it makes me think back to the several pigs they had in a zoo in Taif, that mountain which is rather close to Mecca...

Shure they can stay. Also I specifically selected pigs as an example for that sole purpose xaccers. ;)

It's simple enough, really. If you don't like the dogs in our adverts, then go back to which ever third-world Middle Eastern hell-hole you originally came from.

Enjoy your persecution and lack of democracy, but at least you won't have to put up with the sight of puppies every day.

Pathetic. :rolleyes:

Archived