Losing Teeth to Airsoft

EchoFox

I've only actually seen it happen once with punkypink getting shot in the face and breaking a tooth in half. It still hasnt put me off using glasses/goggles only at that site tho.

When I play CQB on the other hand I expect to get shot in the face so full face it is.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have very regretfully shot another persons' tooth out.

It was with a pistol in the dying seconds of a game as the guy popped up right in front of my barricade just as I fired hitting a front tooth. It did not knock it out but rather squashed it (for lack of a better description) causing some sort of fluid to come out and major swelling.

After a few weeks the tooth returned to normal and thankfully the guy had no gripes about it but it certainly made me very conscious about head/face shots. Unless a player is seriously taking the peas and I can only hit their head then I will just not do head shots.

That said seeing what damage it can do I only cover my mouth when it hits the fan but I will be looking into a gum guard.

Biscuit

There's really no need for intentional head-shots. Unlike painball, this game isn't about how much pain can you inflict on the opposing force. Having said that, if I can only see a player's head, that doesn't mean I won't shoot at them - but if I've got a choice I'll always aim for centre-of-mass - that's how the army train, that's how you're more likely to get a kill. It works.

Like I said, you pays your money and you makes your choice and then you takes your chances. It's up to you if you want to run the risk of not wearing full-face protection or not.

...My Hygenist saw it and asked how it happened when I went for my last check-up.

I just said; "Oh, it got shot off!"

The look on her face was priceless...

Yup, had the same experience with my dentist.

Lost half of one of my teeth, and the shot wasn't from that close either...

...I use the bottom half of a Sensei mask now.

This one guy lost a tooth at one of my first games. Me and this other guy were heading back to the respawn area, when some guys (on our team), shot at us at about 3 meters away, making headshots. I luckliy had on a full face mask, the other guy did not, he lost one of his teeth. I remember seeing the BBs fly toward my face bouncing off my mask, it was one of those slow motion moments.

I've lost one at Chobham last june, got hit, stuck my hand in the aur and stood up while yelling hit, was shot a second time while standing so yelled hit again, as i did this one pinged my tooth and cracked half of it, £50 repair though so not too bad.

Wow! That's a lot of varied responses - certainly more than I was expecting!

I really like the look of the ESS V12's, because they seem to seal around the entire eye... If I get glasses, I want fully sealed ones. Hmm. I'll have to get contact lenses too. How are those in airsofting? Pain in the neck, or ok?

I'll definitely be looking at using a gum shield of some kind, or something like that. (Feel kind of stupid for not thinking of that earlier :))

Thanks Hedganian and RSM for the recommendations.

:P

Amount of times this topic appears, half these posts are probably going to be ' i heard about this one guy..' who'll be the same fella recuring a couple times.

I had a feeling that would be the case!

Thanks everyone for the assistance in enlightening me.

Just do what you can to stop having you're teeth broken. With front teeth, it'll become a problem for the rest of your life, unless you don't really care about your appearance. Unless you have a really minor chip, whatever restoration will be put in yor mouth will fail eventually and need to be replaced, possibly by something more expensive, almost certainly larger.

Punky, you still have those pics of your RCT?

I lost more teeth through Skateboarding than I have through Airsoft. :)

As Harmless says *fruitcage* up your front teeth (I have) and you will be keeping dentists in business repairing them for the rest of your life. I did my front teeth on a kerb ten years ago and must have had them fixed about four times.

Strange. I've had my front tooth broken into half and fixed with a plastic thingy for 10 years and it has caused zero problems. I haven't even noticed it unless something has made me to. To be honest, the only thing I fear in losing a tooth is the enormous dentist bill.

Hmm, maby I could get an insurance for my teeth. :P

And long may it last you, but the average life of a white filling is 8 years and that tends to reduce with each subsequent filling. Also changes in tooth colour and staining of the plastics tends to make the restoration unsightly.

Oh dear.. I've over all sensible and dental. If you've really lost half the tooth a nice Zirconium crown is your friend if you want to look like a film star again :P

Could always have all your teeth removed and replaced with diamonds. No BB could break those, and they'd surely be nice and pretty....

Diamods are the hardest known thing to man, however they are incredibly brittle. I would not like to fire BB's at a main tooth sized diamond. You might be surprised. :P

Just do what you can to stop having you're teeth broken. With front teeth, it'll become a problem for the rest of your life, unless you don't really care about your appearance. Unless you have a really minor chip, whatever restoration will be put in yor mouth will fail eventually and need to be replaced, possibly by something more expensive, almost certainly larger.

Punky, you still have those pics of your RCT?

I think I might do. It should still be in my inbox somewhere.

Alright, answer me this. It seems gum shields only come with protection for the upper set of teeth, so how do you protect your lower teeth?

You can get sheilds that protect both sets as long as you aren't too keen on speaking or in fact breathing easily.

Archived