Your Perfect Ideal 5 man Squad. Any why

Drifty

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For starters, let's forget about hi-caps. In many Finnish scenarios they are banned. With this logic we can justify the use of support weapons. My team only has three guys, consisting of two riflemen and a support gunner. All carry compact sidearms, be it pistol or smg. For a 5-man team the setup would consist of three riflemen, support gunner and sniper. Preferably the riflemen have weapons using matching magazines.

My ideal team would be...

one man with a M16, fine tuned for range, and a m203 UGL, and a couple of 'nades, and a couple less magazines, so he isn't carrying much more weight than anyone else

Another with a full stock M4, since the extra battery space will be helpful when the others with smaller batteries begin having to change batteries. Tuned for medium range with low FPS for those situations in CQB.

someone with a stubby M4, with high ROF, and a 416 mini stock for optimum battery capacity and compact size. Would carry extra mags, as well as mags for the SAW, so weight is still fairly distributed.

A beefy guy with a m249 SAW, carrying nothing but mags and the necessities, and will stick with the guy with the stubby for more ammo.

Most would think I would say a sniper here, but I would not. Instead I would a multi purpose man. He would be the medic, carry a M4 pistol, so he will also be good in CQB, but he would not be deployed because of the risk of him getting out. He would carry the things a medic need, but since he is carrying a M4 pistol, and won't have as heavy a load, he will the majority of the non-fighting essentials, such as food and water if its a multiple day skirmishe.

Standard issue between them all would be: P99 compacts, or another compact pistol, at least two extra pistol mags, at least 2 smoke grenades, and one tornado grenade.

Oh, and matching BDUs/gear colors/patterns for easy identification

The reason I stress that everyone carry equal amounts of weight? If everyone is carrying the same amount, no one can b!@#h about it being unfair that so-and-so has it easier, and thus there will be less dissent between the team and more comradeship because everyones pulling their own fair weight.

Depends on the terrain type and mission objective.

For example, a standard recon operation through a temperate woodland terrain:

Rifleman: M16A2 (iron sights, 20-round magazines)/USP45

Rifleman: Same weapons as above

Radio Operator: M733 (reflex sight, 30-round magazines)/USP45

Team Leader: Same weapons as above

Designated Marksman: G3A3ZF (telescopic sight, 20-round magazines)/USP45

This team is geared toward long-distance, low-profile operations. As such, there is no need for a support gunner. The simpler choice of weapons would prevent unnecessary hassles in the field. A reduced load of ammunition for each man would allow for more provisions.

"Standard recon operation" ?

Say it with me now everyone.. aiiiiirsoooooft.

In our terminology, it means a long distance, low profile trek meant for assessing OPFOR strength and positions. ROE is do not fire unless fired upon. We avoid firefights whenever possible. Usually it's the DM who sees the most action.

Reborn, you got the wrong end of the stick by quite a long way. He's commenting on how seriously you're taking the idea.

My perfect team?

5 Men who are about to join with another three to make a Section. British Army Section tactics FTW!

You are right.

But I personally play more for the immersion and atmosphere than the shooting itself if mil-sim is considered. Besides, everybody's gotta pitch in to win, even when the job seems lss than desirable.

It's when those recon runs turn ugly (getting spotted) that the real fun starts. Fighting and falling back against a numerically superior enemy... Can't beat that. It's like the ending of Tears of the Sun every time. The fact that we are hauling less ammo than usual only adds to the realism and sense of desperation.

You are right.

But I personally play more for the immersion and atmosphere than the shooting itself if mil-sim is considered. Besides, everybody's gotta pitch in to win, even when the job seems lss than desirable.

It's when those recon runs turn ugly (getting spotted) that the real fun starts. Fighting and falling back against a numerically superior enemy... Can't beat that. It's like the ending of Tears of the Sun every time. The fact that we are hauling less ammo than usual only adds to the realism and sense of desperation.

Amen to that!

Archived