Initial Impressions of the TM SOPMOD M4 AEG

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While fiddling about with my SOCOM recently I noticed an expected benefit of using a Magpul MIAD grip. The swappable backstrap means you only need to remove the pistol grip base to get access to the a

Oh PureSilver, you do spoil me rotten sometimes.   PureSilver dropped half his SOPMOD off with me last weekend with some new goodies to install. Before we continue, you should note that the gun had

Posted Images

Thanks elanaiba, the TK will be the next barrel I will get :D which weigth do you advice? im currently using biobal 020 due to the low fps the socom had (until yesterday) :P

Now something more technical, my motor sounds a lot, a pitched WIIII, WIII, WIII after every trigger pull, lowering or rising it in the grip dont seem to make any difference... blink.gif hate being such a tech noob :lol:

Thanks elanaiba, the TK will be the next barrel I will get :D which weigth do you advice? im currently using biobal 020 due to the low fps the socom had (until yesterday) :P

Now something more technical, my motor sounds a lot, a pitched WIIII, WIII, WIII after every trigger pull, lowering or rising it in the grip dont seem to make any difference... blink.gif hate being such a tech noob :lol:

Try 0.25g...

Could that be potentially bad for the AEG? sad.gif in theory I didnt ask him to redo the shimming, just to put 6mm metal bushings...

IF you geting a high pitched wizz sound its sort of the same as having the motor out to far... the problem with fitting bearings/bushings is if they are thicker or thinner than the standard bushings then the shimming will need to be adjusted.

90% of the time people can change them with out the shimming needing to be changed..

all im saying is if your getting a sound excessivly different to normal its worth looking into before excessive wear happens on either A. the pinion gear or B. the bevel gear. or C .both.

Might be nothing or it might be something... no harm in looking at whether the bevel gear is low enough. especially if your running an aftermarket motor as well.

Got a sopmod here now with a magnum in, pritty nice ROF on a 9.6v nimh pack!

Any one else had success changing out the motors to a higher torque one ?

Actually I was wondering when Isamu's adjusting the motor height, is the motor actually moving inside the grip? Or just the grip's base screw moving up/down. At least for my Systema-in-a-MIAD, sometimes i have to tap the grip to motor to get un-wedged.

My grip is a Dboys HK416 one, the motor base fits well into the base plate, but I might be wrong, as I said, im quite the newb in these matters. I feel the motor is not very secured into the grip as it is a bit hollower than the stock one, will try to push the motor a bit more upwardsand see if it changes....

Sorry for the double post, but I couldnt resist to post this... I wrote to Echigoya about getting a stock TM CQB barrel for my socom and they replied today, 110$ just the barrel!!! its almost two times more expensive than the Laylax or pDI ones...!!! how can it be?! blink.gif

not tried the 203 but where theres a dremel theres a way..

isamu - Companys ahve to price the spare parts a little higher so they dont get people buying all sapre parts to make up a gun, it also covers having loads lieing around. i would imagine echigoyas added there profit to and delivery for sourcing the parts for you as well.

Your allowed to say no if you dont like the price then maybe in future they reduce there margin, but id imagine they know people only buy oem parts if they have no choice. Near 60 quid for the barrel... hmm IF that included delivery it might be alright.

Im invisioning a hefty price for the lower reciever and tube lol That said ive already been contacted by someone who wants it lol

Guys has anyone tried to mount a "barrel Mounted m203" to there socom?

Im concerned the outer barrel will be to wide for mounting brackets...

Just a quick reply to this, I did see a Youtube video where someone had modded a G&P m203 to fit to the barrel, it required a fair bit of dremeling, but not alot.

LAYLAX have done it again, every time i come up with an idea they beat me too it lol i swear to god theres a microphone listening device installed around here somewhere...

its like they wait for me to find a major problem with the sopmod and then fix it

The sopmod stock has a big issue with it breaking... ive had to glue several now..

07241045_4c4a45af81731.jpg

07241045_4c4a45b65390a.jpg

You replace the plastic part with the new harder part and problem solved.. Bit disapointed its not metal but it says its a better fit on the description which can only be good. This will selll out due to the amount of broken stocks out there needing to be fixed!

Hopefully it will be a better fit, and remove some of the pressure on the END contacts.. becuase the other one has play.

Id recommend this to ANYONE running quickchange batterys or having lockup issues in the sopmod..

youll need a long philips screw driver and an allen key to install it...

how great is it, they seem to be doing parts all the time.. well done laylax keep up the good work.. p.s laylax im still waiting on the job offer tongue.gif

Edited by Richard Y

running mine on 7.4 2200 lipo and it runs sweeeeet ! has been magpul"ed to buggery but i"m loving the look from nose to tail its got an MOE handguard , AFG , FSA , C-more sight , gen 2 buis , ASAP , CTR stock and at the very end a PTS stock pad (which is the only non PRO&T part ! ;) )

I cant tell you how much work this unit is, working with a company to produce the item, weve finalised the prototype and its ready to be produced. below is a final picture. We are having trouble atm increasing the weight and staying with in the manufacturing abilitys of the machine.

Basically what it boils down to is costs, and thats what we are discusing atm, how much will people be willing to pay, every process i add extra onto the unit seems to increase its per unit price, the more it increases the less i can order.

How much is every one willing to pay for a recoil weight which increases the recoil effect by an unknown amount at this point? There must be a maximum price people are willing to strech to much like RIOTS gears im faced with the dilema of making the unit and it being expensive.. or making the unit cheaper but it being missing key features..

personally i think we would rather it be expensive but have as many features about it as possible, if we are going to do it we might as well do it right. my opinion

Recoilunitprototype.jpg

Which features do you want it to have? I would be more than satisfied with it only increasing the recoil and keeping the gun reliable.

Cant comment on how much Im willing to spend as im allways in a tight budget and i dont know enough to know what price is fair... :(

Thanks for your hard work richard

Well i guess by features i mean, size and shape and weight. The more effort we put into making it 100% fit the more it increases the price, adding a simple taper increases price, ATM we are having to source a heavier steel, which is an unknown price etc.. the guy we need to talk toos on holiday till tues next week. All these things increase cost. I think they just wanted to know i was going to be spending a decent amount of cash, rather than mesing them about.

Id like to retail it at either 49.99 or 59.99, it would be great if i could drop as low as 39.99 but thats a big MAYBE at this point.. Bare in mind its a kit, so it will be the unit its self and the Upgrade spring. The problem is this is such small scale, we are talking only about 20 - 50 units will be available on a first come first serve basis.

fingers crossed the moon and earth and stars aling on this project there seems to be a lot of ifs and maybe still considering how far in we are..

Edited by Richard Y

Personally I'm ok with that price however my concerns would be impact on the rest of the stock TM system (e.g. any strain to the TM mechbox, the wall in the buffer tube, etc.). In other words, will other things break :D?

I've been thinking about some other options - I'll PM you and see if you think these ideas are good or not.

50£ with the upgraded recoil spring seems a good price having in mind its a first run and it will be a very exclusive upgrade until it is really massproduced. Dont know if the day it is released I will have spare money to invest on it, but as I said, I think its a reasonable price.

As Anakchan said, I too am wondering which impact will it have in the rest of the gun internals... seems like only time will tell :)

If it doesnt destroy my RIF in 1000 rounds, I'd pay £50, but thats going to be your problem there Richard, the unknown effect of the piece on the RIF and the extra cost of upgrading things to keep it working! but £50 is an ok price. I think Id pay it!

hi guys,

I have just been doing a bit of testing and am after your thoughts/experience/test results.

My Socom shoots at 295 fps with .28 bbs with the HOP OFF all the way (approx 350 with .20)

However you need a fair amoint of hop to shoot a .28 straigh which means the fps is reduces considerably. Approx 265 fps with .28 and HOP APPLIED.

The above reduction only really seems to apply to these sopmod hop units though as I have not noticed such a difference in other AEGs and .28s.

Question: Do you think replacing the .28 with a .25 will increase fps in to areas, first one obviously being a lighter bb travels faster but second the hop will apply less friction and therefor more fps do shoot it straight? I only ask because I have no .25s to test...

thoughts?