SAS Weapons

Vercingetorix

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the MP7 was designed to both penetrate armor, and have great stopping power. The ol. bigger cal the better isnt actually the best for most. What determines stopping power is the ability to create cavity in the flesh, and to crush the inside. (Ouch)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_power

According to HK anyways, the MP7 is a combined lovechild of a MP5 and M16 :)

(Oh, and yeah, im a HK fan, so don't listen to me. Also the Norwegian Army bought them to replace the old MP5's.)

Actually, the MP7 was designed to both penetrate armor, and have great stopping power. The ol. bigger cal the better isnt actually the best for most. What determines stopping power is the ability to create cavity in the flesh, and to crush the inside. (Ouch)

Please watch the ballistics discussion mate, it's against the rules. :)

I have only read some selected articles on the web, I will scan the discussion on wiki, makes up for interesting reading :)

Richard Machowicz on Futureweapons likes the MP7 at least. Have anyone got some picture refrence of SAS with MP7?

Good on the OP for not being reined in by the codswallop of his team leader who seems to not know all that much about SAS gear. For future purchases as has been said a normal M4/M16 should suffice and a fancy SFW outer barrel to complete the look.

Off-topic - In CQB I don't think it much matters what stopping power these new armour defeating rounds have individually. When you have a 50 round magazine, a high cyclic rate and the enemy is about 10 meters away..... fill him full of holes and he'll go down :P

I seem to recall that at the time before ArmaLite was bullied to sell their patents to Colt, they had two quiet and profitable buyers with 3-letter names...

IRA and SAS. :)

Some SAS history book I have (Gallagher, I think) says SAS used Armalites when 'visiting' Indonesian territory on Claret operations since AR's weren't British and could thus be more easily denied.

Has anyone got a decent listing of SAS/SBS shotguns?

There's also another good reason apart from the stopping power issue they probably don't use P90's. A piercing bullet like the P90 uses is a liability in hostage situations as it can go through walls or through bad guys and into nearby good guys. That's why it's preferable to use the 9mm MP5.

Off-topic - In CQB I don't think it much matters what stopping power these new armour defeating rounds have individually. When you have a 50 round magazine, a high cyclic rate and the enemy is about 10 meters away..... fill him full of holes and he'll go down :P

nice... instead of getting the badguy down with one or 2 shots, youd empty the whole mag, and the reload again? oops bad guy coming round the corner..

and what gun you mentioned uses 50 rd. mags?? pp-19 maybe, but afaik the geezer dont use russian weapons, oh wait right... "they use whatever suits them"....

Wouldn't .45 be the best, or .40 S&W then? They drop a person in a shot or two and there is more or less no chance of it going through the person, as it transfers almost all its kinetic energy on impact, amirite?> Or is it because of the worse recoil, making follow up shots and the double tap less accurate, etc?

Just wondering....

Archived