AEG Sniper Thread

Shriven

To all who are concerned abpout GnG standart 50BBs low-caps for PJ/A&K SR25. According to local guy here - GnG mags are pain to put in/out, but they feed normally.

My two cents on the project. Getting it ready for sniper training. exAEG, now HPA A&K SR25. GnP M1 scope, dual rails, PDI 6,01 TBB, some Magpul stuff for fun. Still on going project so some parts are mising - like upper and lower receiver jointm silencer, gas block(?) Also, the Palmer and HPA tank is not pictured. Whats interesting, there will be no external rigs attached to my gear ;] Also, I won't use normal sights.

post-61164-0-85362500-1300141872_thumb.jpg

post-61164-0-90409600-1300141878_thumb.jpg

I have made pictures for Magpul 20LR DE mags review [just never did the review itself]. Maybe some is interested?

post-61164-0-51271100-1300142075_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently got a VFC SCAR SSR. I am running a 11.1v lipo on it and from what I read so far it seems it is recommended to install some protection for the trigger wiring.

Now my dilemma is what to install: a simple mosfet or an ASCU(using it as a general term)?

From what I know an ascu is made of 2 mosfets that can give better trigger response and burst function, I don't need that since I am happy with the trigger response on the SSR stock and I am only using it on semi.

Is there any reason to go for a ASCU then?

What do you guys recommend I should use?

Personally, I plan on using a standard MOSFET with my 11.1v LiPo setup. Either one I make, or the Element one. The likelihood of a lock-up with a battery of that voltage is pretty low, and if you're keeping full auto (like me), it doesn't matter as much if it does happen anyway... Just my opinion :)

• 8 months later...

Good read this thread, needs some life in it.

I guess your stateside Isamu, so you have different power levels to us Brits.

For us most sites will only allow dedicated (SR, M14, SPR etc etc)DMR types to 400-425 and fixed to semi, Aegs are mostly capped at 350, some allow 370 (laws are being set on limits now in the UK, it always been "guidelines" )

There is some good info in the thread. Start by rebuilding your AEG, and shim the barrel tight, whip/PTFE tape the hop rubber to the barrel tape up the barrel clip, that will give you some extra performance for free.

Check your cylinder head seal and service the gearbox. Just a complete blueprint overhaul will see some gains and give you a solid base to work from, and if you can do it yourself is free.

From there, you can start trying things out. A new barrel will see a boost in FPS and tighter groupings. Playing with some different hop rubbers and nubs will do wonders.

Quality BBs is a place to go. I started on .20 then .25 now playing with .28 (at 340-350 fps.20) Quality BBs will see tighter groupings.

I got a CA M14 to DMR, but have never got started on it. After following the guides i am bringing my 249mm barrel UMP smg up to respectable performance, it's no DMR and never will be. The moment i go over 350fps i have a 35m MED and have to convert to single shot only, i can only gain 50 fps by going AEG DMR where i play so there is no real advantage to do so (for me anyway) if i go 500fps boltie i gain an advantage in range and still have a 35m MED, and i can't be doing with lugging around a heavy M14 all day when i can get 5m closer to a target :) or get a super light VSR instead.

You seem keen on trying hop mods (read your other post) so i guess you know your way around an AEG to get inside and playabout.

Rebuild what you have, dial it in, get some range time, get it shooting sweet with a low variation on FPS from shot to shot, again thats free, then build on that.

I look at my UMP as a dirty little sleeper with a mini dmr hiding within, i can go up against poorly set up SR25s and they don't like being bagged at range by a lowly smg.

Your ICS M4A1 has the carry handle and hot swap gear box ? carry handle scope mounts are cheap and there are direct mount scopes out there.

Use the tune up tips first, if you take to the role then look around for a proper dedicated DMR platform to work from. Anything that isn't a dedicated DMR will cost a lot to change over if you want the look, and a railed SR25 will be more solid at the front than a M4A1.

Mine has turned into a learning curve, not DMR performance but way better than a lot of AEGs out there. Next for me is checking the cylinder seal and nozzle and dialing in for .25 or .28 (whichever works best in mine) the M14 will find a new home and i might try a VSR next year as everything i am learning now will help bring that up to spec.

Happy tuning.

Im using a CQB M4 right now, but Im considering getting the M4 with full stock due to rear wiring and accesories as it is cheaper than getting an upper and a gearbox by themselves. My CQb performs admirably OOTB and I dont think it really needs tinkering, just added XT60 connectors and a simple Flat hop mod.

My fields are a bit snobby about DMRs, but a 14.5" barrel is not very different from a 16" recon barrel once you put a long rail on it, a scope and maybe short mags... done. In fact im a bit concerned about which rail should fit with no modifications as it is a sportline gun and plastic is quite fragile. so if someone can recommend me a 11" rail, it would be great :)

Right now my list of mods is short:

Flat hop with madbull blue bucking and sorbo nub

tight bore barrel

m130 spring and possibly a cheap metal spring guide (for peace of mind)

XT60 connectors

I think I can get an above average DMR with these mods

Not an M4 person so i can't help anymore.

I would look around the local forums/game sites to you for donor/boneyard parts to try out, that will keep costs down.

I am trying the madbull blue rubbers myself. The supplied nub is larger and harder than others i have used, and i think the hump molded into the hop rubber is more pronounced as well.

In 2 different AEG set ups, the madbull overhopped like mad, even with the hop wound fully off both AEGs would shoot about 10m then BBs went vertical with .20 & .25, changed out the nub to bring them under control.

I have to chrono on .20 and BBs going skywards is taken as a sign of trying to drop fps by cranking up the hop. Shooting nicely now.

Just curious if you tried the rubber stock first and what effect you got.

Good luck with modding the rubbers, a lot of work and testing but if the results live up to claims then worth the effort.

Also short mags are worth having, the VN type M16 ones, nice compact low profile for shooting prone. The M14 is nice but did look into chopping down a full size mag for more clearance when hiding in shallow cover, some one needs to make a 5 or 10 rd M14 midcap, that would be great on my Scout14.

The flat hop mod sounds interesting. Do you have some more traditional hop'ed plaform that you will be able to compare it to side by side?

Seconded about the need for a shorter magazine. The standard M14 magazines do elevate you more than just using a bolt action of similar dimensions.

Good Hunting ;)

I never had a problem with madbull blues overhoping the BBs... I have a Galaxy Mp5K which overhopped like mad in stock form, once I installed a madbull blue and an Element Hnub the problem was instantly fixed and I could apply the needed hop.

Right now my only gun to compare is the said MP5k which shoots at 300FPS so comparing the CQB with the "K" wouldnt be fair and my primary gun is right now being serviced, but if I recall correctly, the CQB shoots farther and a bit more precisely than my primary TM SOCOM which was fitted with a TM bucking, scs nub and guarder 6.02mm TBB. So I expect the CQB to clearly outrange the SOCOM when I install a Madbull TBB in the future and both be on par when I mod the SOCOM to the same specs. Unfortunatly I have not space at home to test this until I go to a game, which will be hard until next year... :(

Yes, I though about using VN mags, but I dont know a reliable/cheap brand, I remember KA making them, but I have had bad experiences with their mags...

I posted this in Isamu's thread. Thought it would help illustrate the advantages of the flat hop modification that have been running around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdcczPe4Q#ws

In my opinion, since running the r-hop version of this modification. No other hopup(scs, big out, firefly) setup really compares. Since this is the dmr forum i'll just repost what I posted in Isamu's thread. Because we all want to out shoot those damn bolt action users B)

Go flathop(r-hop if your brave) gents. Its the future ^_^

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Flat-Hop-Necro-Exempt-t220183.html

Excellent reading.

I veered off to the "Gunsmith"s G-hop, (asf link page 3) the not so involved maybe not as good but works at lower FPS and auto version of things.

So it looks simple (flat hop) but requires you to mod the barrel and rubbers, and a bit trial and error and high upkeep, the trade off is a boost in range without a massive boost in power. Something to keep you quiet on winter nights.

Now the G-hop is more me, no barrel mods, longer lifespan (maybe) and works with .97Joule setups (japans limits) maybe not the benefits of range over the Flat-hop.

Where i play the auto limit is 350, semi dmr 400fps, bolt action 500fps. Now i won't be using an AEG Sniper platform, but that was some good links and information Sniperelite7, i will try the G-hop over xmas....saves me buying a H-nub :) and i have some old hop rubbers to chop about to try it.

Where i play we don't have too many DMRs or Bolties that are really into it, most are out of the box clones, raw fps but little control of it. I might be able to give them a fright with my little smg now at my lower power level.

As to shooting all the pesky bolties, i fear in Bushmans case, you have to find him first he's good at hiding :whistling:

Lul! I prefer to play in the desert, the lack of vegetation makes everything easier!

I tried the g-hop and i'll caution you about doing it. At the very least with the flat hop, if it fails you just have a shredded bucking. With the g-hop(Gunsmiths version) your going to get some obscene form of a compression jam, which will strip your piston if your really unlucky. Trust me, I tried it and it did not last long.

The simplest form of the flat hop(and the r-hop which comes up later in the thread) require no barrel modification.The flat hop is easy. Make a flat nub out of a rubbery material(sorbo is good) with a solid backbone to support it and push the bucking down. Shave off the inner ridge and nub of the hopup bucking and rotate it so a fresh patch of it protrudes into the barrel. Done. :)

Ta.

I went to the youtube links and you veer off again into J-hop and R-hops. There was a simple version that appeared to be as you describe, no barrel mods, no patch. Mod the hop rubber rotate 90o for a smooth contact patch, and make your own nub.

The pinch/compression jam issue was talked through. Very carefull set up needed, but the patch could let go anytime anyway. The hop mods look easy.....but expect trail and error in learning it. I would be looking for a second hand 6.08 brass barrel to play with, cheap and brass is easy to work with.

I have recut an AEG barrel to fit a VSR hop rubber (8" barrel for a Glock 17, tried it, not so practical but learnt something doing it )

The easy variation is going to be my first try, then again my G36 drum type hop unit may not be compatible with this type of mod anyway, always the H-nub to fall back on.

I have some dense foam rubber packing to try, i used a piece to make a Stock butt extension so it's durable material, will be pinching erasers to try as well.

Whatever i do over xmas this has been a good easy to grasp technical read for me.

It's the attention to detail i enjoy, i have shimmed the barrel, whipped and taped the hop unit that was a massive gain in fps alone and my AEG failed chrono test by gaining 50+fps. I undid some of the work to drop power to play.

Now i have restarted, the barrel/hop has bedded in at 360fps on my chrono (10fps over my limit, site chrono reading will vary +/- to mine) when i get back home i am going in the gearbox to look at polishing the cylinder and check the head and air nozzle. If i gain any more FPS from this work and get it bedded in and stable, then i can drop a spring rate to get to 350. This in turn should equal less strain on the gearbox and motor, less power drain from working a lighter spring, and maybe slightly less mechanical noise, which can only be good.

The hop mod is going in as well. Max out the FPS performance of what i have, get it stable, then drop a spring rate to come down to 350, then try 28s going to .30 is pricey, but i might get a bag of Madbulls, Bushman keeps telling me to use them in my pistols anyway (sniper pistol thread)

This is now going to keep me amused with online research with a Codkid hunting trip in January to look forward to (walk on high cap day)

+1 :)

I think the players, whatever platform or role in airsoft they choose to play as, those that crave information and seek it out, understand and apply it to what they have to use, will outperform a out of the box high end platform/shooter that can't be doing with putting in the effort.

(i will be a smg aeg sniper, lord of pistols from what i am learning :) no fear of poorly set up AEG/DMR sniper rifles for me )

(proper aeg snipers will kick my rear-end though)

This is a more "historical" question instead of a technical one... my regular fields are a bit snobby when DMRs are concerned and most of them mandate that the DMR platform must be a copy of the real world used guns, so my question is, is the M4 (14.5" barrel, 7"rail/handguard) used as a DMR? or only M16/16"Recce/SPRs?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

They where used in that role back in 80s. We had the semi only option, other countrys had the selective fire FAL, i do recall a heavy barrel option as well from FN.

Yes scoped up versions did see some service, and some really wish they would see service again in a DMR role.

An FN SLR is the English M14.

• 1 month later...

Archived