• No, Stock is fine or I let other people work on it
    • Yes, but i'm too lazy
    • Other

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought half the fun of airsoft was pulling these things to bits :D

Me too :D

Everything I own gets gutted now and then, usually because I've dropped something and its stopped working lol.

I just stripped my GBB down entirely and gave it a nice thorough clean and did the quick fix to get the hammer mech working properly again. 1911's are so much easier to fanny about with than maruzens. After I bought it originally I modified the piston head to stop it wobbling and filled the edge of the valve down as they were catching against each other and locking the slide open unless it was blathered in lube.

Wow, I thought that it would be more along the lines of only <40% actually taken apart their gearboxes.

I can break open v2 and put it back now and v3 (although I need practice on the trigger spring). The only thing I cannot repair is the spring for hammer on the KWA Glock.

The way I've always looked at it is do I pay some guy in a shop £10p/h to take his time doing god knows what inside my gun or do I learn how to do it my self. And being a northener it was the seccond option :P

I'll open up and tinker with almost anything working out how it works in the process over the past 4-5 years of doing that combined with my love of building M4's I've got a bit of a rep amongst some people at my local site as the go to guy for advice and tinkering.

I've even been offered a job as a tech before by a site/shop combo because I built a fully working AK for them out of their bits box when I was stood around talking one day.

I do all my own work on my AEGs and GBB pistols. I'm not really eager to work on other's guns, though, as the headache and responsibility aren't worth it. That's not at all to say I won't help, often a lot, but I won't just take on somebody elses's repair or upgrade. Seems a good way to take a fun hobby and turn it into a stress-fest . . .

-Tuthmose

Lol my friend tried to help a person with their P90 (silicone oil into his mag to stop the jamming) but he refused, We ended up lighting him because he came charging with a jammed p90 (full auto game /4 of us in a room).

I can rip any gun apart and put it back together again. I can solder wires with new connectors or make you your dream gun (within reason) even if it requires CNCing some parts for it or Dremel and Bondo together anything I or anyone else wants. I don't make many internal parts as of yet as I am a CNC/fabrication newb, but I am learning more every day. I love working on the insides and outsides of guns. I have even tried to make my own CNC piston! (Granted it cracked the gearbox, but I tried gorammit!) My advice to others is to take the plunge and try it out. Buy a clone and start picking away at things. Learn how they work. Reading a lot of stuff helps too. I love reading tutorials for some reason.

I do all my own work, as well as most of the work for the rest of my team. There's really no place else to go in my area, and the few guns I've seen shipped out for upgrades have since broken down and have been fixed by me, they haven't broken down again since. I can work on just about anything, so far I've done Ver. 2, 3, 6, 7, GBBs and a BAR-10.

Shinigami49

I would love to be able to work on my own guns, but everything I fiddle with inevitably ends up breaking. I once tried to fix a wiring problem with an old Famas I had, after getting down to the gearbox I found by shorting two wires it would fire constantly on automatic. The only thing I could think of was putting two wires between the connections with a switch in between as the trigger. It worked for about two days, then I decided that it really does need to be fixed properly, opened up the gearbox.....and proptly sold it for spares.

After that I vowed never to open anything airsoft gun-based again.

Do you keep your gearbox or trash it?

I keep the shell but usually gut everything else inside it (even the ARL spring :D). Ya' know what? It's just become a habit that I don't even know why I do it (for all the AEGs I've purchased).

The real question shouldn't be whether you work on your gun yourself but whether you can improve it yourself. ;)

Personally, I'm finding it more and more of a PITA these days to work on guns because more and more of them are chinese crapola.

Most chinese guns are fine to use (if you don't know any better) but, for a mechanic, the poor quality control can produce MASSIVE annoyance.

Currently, due to every man and his dog saying how great the JG G36 is, quite a few people I know have one and I get asked to repair or upgrade them and, you know what?

They're an absolute PITFA to work on.

They don't come apart quite like they should. Some bits are loose. Some are tight. Some upgrade parts don't fit even if they should do.

In amongst a country full of airsofters claiming the JG G36 is a panacea, I'd cheerfully lube one up and give it back to the JG CEO rectally.

Depending on the weapon and the nature of the work.

My bottom line is that I can effect any in-field repairs on any of my weapons - i.e. if they suffer anything short of a critical failure, I can handle it. I always carry a tool pouch with me for this purpose.

Naturally, I also clean and overhaul all of my weapons.

For major work such as the fitting of a new receiver kit or internal upgrades, I use AEX Oakland's team of technicians. They haven't failed me once.

The best way to learn how something works is to take it apart yourself ;)

Nope.

That doesn't work unless you actually understand the parts you're looking at.

Once you've spent years "fixing" guns that are missing trigger springs, turning around cylinders that have been fitted the wrong way around and, generally, correcting other peoples screw-ups you start to realise that a lot of airsofters simply don't know what they're doing, even if they think they do.

Nope.

That doesn't work unless you actually understand the parts you're looking at.

Once you've spent years "fixing" guns that are missing trigger springs, turning around cylinders that have been fitted the wrong way around and, generally, correcting other peoples screw-ups you start to realise that a lot of airsofters simply don't know what they're doing, even if they think they do.

I guess certain others may lack the same level of technical aptitude, of course working on GBB's like I do is much easier and much more fun :P

I'll freely admit that in my three years of playing, I've never done my own work. My best friend runs his own local stand alone mech shop, and is quite good at what he does. Being a house mate means my guns get worked on for free...

I've taken things apart, I do not have the patience for all the small bits and bobs. Although I've gotten kind of good with my pistols.

Archived