The Pacific

Nicoli

If this has been mentioned I apologise, I searched but didn't see anything.

Apparently not new news, but new to me so maybe to others aswell, and even if not we are nearer to the release date woo.

Not an actual sequel, but a second series in the style of the first. Following the stories of 3 US Marines through their war in the Pacific.

http://www.pacificfans.com/

THE PACIFIC is produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television. The production is based at Melbourne Central City Studios in Melbourne, Victoria, with filming taking place in and around Melbourne, where U.S. troops camped in 1943, and multiple locations in Far North Queensland. Kary Antholis, senior vice president, HBO Films, is the executive in charge of the project. THE PACIFIC is scheduled to debut on HBO in 2009.

The miniseries tracks the intertwined odysseys of three U.S. Marines - Robert Leckie (played by James Badge Dale), Eugene Sledge (Joe Mazzello) and John Basilone (Jon Seda) - across the vast canvas of the Pacific. The extraordinary experiences of these men and their fellow Marines take them from the first clash with the Japanese in the haunted jungles of Guadalcanal, through the impenetrable rain forests of Cape Gloucester, across the blasted coral strongholds of Peleliu, up the black sand terraces of Iwo Jima, through the killing fields of Okinawa, to the triumphant, yet uneasy, return home after V-J Day.

Carl Franklin (HBO's "Rome"), Jeremy Podeswa (HBO's "Six Feet Under"), Tony To (HBO's "Band of Brothers"), Tim Van Patten (HBO's "The Sopranos") and Graham Yost (HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon") will direct episodes. Writers and additional directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

In addition to James Badge Dale ("The Departed"), Joe Mazzello ("Without a Trace") and Jon Seda ("Kevin Hill"), actors featured in THE PACIFIC include (in alphabetical order) Akos Armont, Jon Bernthal ("The Office"), Joshua Biton ("National Treasure"), Adam Booth ("Doctors"), Simon Bossell ("Hotel de Love"), Laurence Breuls ("Ghost Rider"), Tom Budge ("Last Train to Freo"), Linda Cropper ("McLeod's Daughters"), Brendan Fletcher ("Tideland"), Eamon Farren ("The Outsider"), Leon Ford (HBO's "Tsunami: The Aftermath"), Daniel Frederiksen ("Stingers"), Scott Gibson ("Lucky Number Slevin"), Joshua Helman, Ashton Holmes ("A History of Violence"), Andrew Lees, Rami Malek ("The War at Home"), Martin McCann ("Closing the Ring"), Ian Meadows ("Home and Away"), Toby Moore ("Joanne Lees: Murder in the Outback"), Rohan Nichol ("All Saints"), Henry Nixon ("Happy Feet"), Keith Nobbs ("The Black Donnellys"), Annie Parisse ("Law & Order"), Sam Parsonson ("Love My Way"), Jacob Pitts ("The Novice"), Rupert Reid ("The Matrix Reloaded"), Mitch Ryan, William Sadler ("The Shawshank Redemption"), Gary Sweet ("Down in Splendor"), Anna Torv ("Young Lions"), Sandy Winton ("Two Twisted"), Dylan Young and Ashley Zukerman. Additional actors will be announced as they are confirmed.

THE PACIFIC is based on the books "With the Old Breed," by Eugene Sledge, which was hailed by historian Paul Fussell as "one of the finest memoirs to emerge from any war," and "Helmet for My Pillow," by Robert Leckie (recipient of the Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Annual Award), as well as original interviews conducted by the filmmakers. Continuing the World War II oral history work begun by his father Stephen E. Ambrose (author of the book "Band of Brothers"), Hugh Ambrose serves as a consultant on the miniseries.

THE PACIFIC is produced by HBO Films in association with Playtone and DreamWorks Television; executive producers, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Gary Goetzman; co-executive producers, Tony To, Graham Yost; supervising producer, Bruce McKenna; producer, Gene Kelly; co-producers, Robert Schenkkan, George P. Pelecanos, Michelle Ashford.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been going on for a fair while now I believe. Personally can't wait for it to come out, but I have the feeling that as its a select 3 rather than a larger group of men, it's going to end up being very similar in style to Flags of Our Fathers, which although a good film, would be a bit of a shame seeing as how amazing Band of Brothers was.

J

'Band of Brothers' meets 'The Thin Red Line'

so it is like something really good combined with something really chod? it is going to be 'average' then!

i cant wait, BOB was too long ago and no war drama has come close since then.

:no: a guy sits on a detonating grenade and it just hurts his bum! It is brainless low budget no research poor quality rambo 2 style bad action at its very worst, stretched out with hours of tired, lazy, cheap, flashbacks full of weepy false sentiment. As with all art, its just my oppinion but by god its a strong one! I really really hate that film.

Are we still talking about the Thin Red Line? I'm pretty sure a soldier blows his back open and dies from an accidental grenade explosion...

I'm going to agree with Dentonboy. The Thin Red Line is the thinking man's war movie. I'd argue that its portrayal of WWII is more realistic than Saving Private Ryan. Not only it is, as Dentonboy already said, cerebral, but the action is visceral, adrenaline pumping and filled with terror. Unlike Black Hawk Down, I'm not complete numbed to the film by two hours of constant shooting and shreaking.

The Thin Red Line isn't just a WWII movie, it is a movie about the nature of war itself. As such, it transcends "regular" war films and mini-series that are solely interested in telling a good tale or focused on a group of specific soldiers.

Yeah, the beginning of the Thin Red Line where the soldiers are hanging out with the natives (apparently unsupervised by any officers) is a bit odd. The purpose though (and I'm not sure that this was the case in Jones' novel) was to highlight the contrast between industrial war and "wild" nature. In the film, nature is depicted somewhat ambiguously. The jungle could either be beautiful, peaceful, nourishing, etc or desolate (troops going without water) and deadly (hidden machine gun positions, snipers, etc).

When is Pacific set to air?

It does achieve something that not many films do; it is both stupid and pretentious at the same time.

if you thought it was either reallistic or a portrayal of the emotions of war, I can tell you that it isnt.

i'm definately derailing this post! never mind, i'll shut up about thin red line now, before i have an anurism.

Pacific is out Feb 2010 according to the interwebs, filming is finished already. man, i'm glad they aren't rushing but its soooo long to wait.

Dale Dye is a war movie. The guy is an absolute legend.

If it is anything like 'Generation Kill' this series will rock hard.

As for 'The Thin Red Line' - well, it isn't going to be for everyone's taste. Watching and thinking at the same time is a tough skill to pull off..(!)

He went for an unscheduled flying lesson and destroyed his bergen, but was otherwise in in fine fettle, iirc?

Didn't he get a George Cross for his aerial escapade? I think it is on the wiki page, narrowly missed out on a VC since no-one was shooting at his section.

Also in the 2nd ep. of BoB one guy (Guarnere's best mate) has two grenades go off right next to him while dealing with the first guy to get shot in the *albartroth*; one potato masher and a pinapple dropped by the Lt (the one with the gob and dodgy hair colour). That said him and Guarnere both get a leg blown off at Bostogne.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bit of a thread revival here, but how many people have now seen the trailers and "featurette". We're getting closer and closer to the first installment of the series now. One thing that popped into my head when watching the trailers was, are we going to see an explosion in the number of people doing WW2 Marines much as we did with 101st Airbourne after Band of Brothers came out?

Either way, it doesn't look like the production team have rested on their laurels after the success of Band of Brothers, hoepfully it'll turn out to be as good if not better.

J

Archived