PLA Camouflage

Grimm

Hi there,

its me again, the gear maniac with the strange camo patterns.

I currently might have the possibillity to get my hands on two PLA Patterns:

1pla07.jpg

tibet.jpg

I´d like to hear your oppinion: Interesting or not?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the flecktarn clone (different colours) is a heavy material - quite hot in summer as it does not breath.

Depending on the pants/sizing, they can split down the rear - literally.. :P I have seen/heard a few instances.

works nicely in pine forest.

Woodland/digital I have not seen.

I have the Sinotarn and rather like the pattern and coloration of it. The trouble is, as has been said, that it's a bit thick. And it is, unsurprisingly, not the best manufacture. The former is explained by the simple fact that the pattern is intended for mountainous operations, especially in Tibet, and the latter by the fact that it was made in China for their military (they have to churn out large numbers of the stuff for a military whose idea of "hard use" is to wear them while constructing a dam). That's not to say that it's terrible, so much as the fit and finish, so to speak, is far from perfect and it is most certainly not on par with, say, MCCUUs, Crye, or SKDTac.

I would love to see a Western company clone the Sinotarn and put it in something that's actually quality.

I would love to see a Western company clone the Sinotarn and put it in something that's actually quality.

Thats exactly what I plan...

@Jaager: The Camo is real and used, but the pictures of soldiers (especialy a decent looking female) with matching gear where from a chinese soap opera.

I'm assuming Sinotarn is the flecktarn lookalike, right?

The top one looks interesting, looks rather like a digitalized woodland BDU, with a different mix of colors if that swatch is an accurate representation of the colors. Personally I'd keep my BDUs over the top one, partially because I already have those, and BDUs work best in the forested terrain I airsoft in.

The bottom one (Sinotarn?) looks interesting, but it doesn't appeal to me that much. I'm more into other camouflage patterns.

Yes, the brown flecktarn (Type 03 Plateau camouflage to be technical) is real (http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/00257.php).

There have been two types of material available until now - a commercial reproduction version of very thin, low quality "rip-stop" cotton, and the authentic issue stuff which is more like a slightly lighter version of US 50/50 nylon-cotton twill (the Chinese cloth feels like its probably a 40/60 nylon-cotton twill.

From a contact in China, I purchased some of the issue material and got a set of Felix Tactik's FXT/B combats and anorak made in it (see the photos below). The material is absolutely okay - its actually a good, comfortable medium weight and is of good quality. Its fine that its not lightweight, ripstop material becuase you'll most likely wear this stuff in the autumn and winter anyways. The camouflage pattern is fantastic for that time of year - and whenever I've worn this stuff people have been very excited about it.

7-1-1.jpg

gass1galil-1.jpg

Grimm - if you can source either the authentic cloth, or you can get a good repro of it made, then I think you'll have quite a popular item. And you make some of your web gear in this pattern as well - then I'll have your babies.

I don't think the Chinese digital would be a useful addition at all - there are much better digital patterns around...

• 1 month later...

The Digital green is actually the Armed Police camo, not the PLA.

And yeah the sinotarn is way too thick. The pattern works well in pine forests well (better than flecktarn), and the pattern works with Multicam and tan vests.

I am normally a medium regular, but I had to get XL to get the right leg length, and then I got the backside area adjusted for me. An extra 2 stitches means it will hold, one stitch won't :P

The Digital green is actually the Armed Police camo, not the PLA.

I was talking about the green "Flecktarn" from Poland - I think its used or was tested by their national police swat teams.

Seraphim - the thin, commercial repro rip-stop uniforms that you can buy from some retailers are in Asian sizes. The stuff I'm wearing was made for me from genuine cloth by Felix Tactik in Canada - http://strikehold.wordpress.com/2009/04/11...age-tibet-tarn/. By the way, the material isn't that heavy - its about the same weight cloth as used in the Bundeswehr Flecktarn uniforms.

Arent they all in asian sizes? Ya it does look like it blends in with those trees well. Here in Texas we dont really have an autumn. Its green and then it changes to brown.

if you look above at evil-dan's comment.. that is from an asian... so the sizes are off.

Like I said - the commercial copies you can buy from Chinese retailers are in "funny" Asian sizes.

The stuff I'm wearing was made in Canada in standard Western sizes - and if BE-X decide to make stuff in this camo it will be in standard Western sizes too.

Both patterns where common around Beijing last summer. The digi one on troops or Police don't know which and and the Tibetentarn was a very popular t shirt worn by alot of workers along with other surplus shirts trousers and jackets.

Would definately be interested if you produced the Tibetentarn.

With reference to 'Tiny Asian' sizes, I must point out that northern Chinese are the same kind of heights as Europeans, so longer uniforms are available. I have a friend from Beijing and she is 6' tall :wub: and my missus to be is from Zhengzhou and is 5'9". I'm 6'2" and have an unused JGSDF uniform in the Japanese flecktarn 'copy' in my size, and also an experimental Chinese flecktarn copy that was only used to 6 months before they decided on going digital. Appearance wise, it is almost spot on for German flecktarn but obviously a diferent style, and it also fits me, except for the trousers being a little fat for me... so the larger stuff is out there, you just got to work for it.. ;)

Picture746.jpg

Picture745.jpg

I would very much like to get my hands on a so called Sinotarn uniform, or even one made from the genuine material...

Archived