Sniper's secondary

tanpanther

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, but thats ultimately Alistair Darling......

And how can you trust someone who\'se eyebrows are diametrically opposed to his hair! And he looks like one of the muppets... (or is that he is one of the muppets.... in government?? I get confused..)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F4yinVt5IS8/SD8w...air+Darling.jpg

You be the judge!

I usually go out with just my trusty sniper and W.E Dragon.

But I'm getting myself a M4A1 as backup when advancing to a postion. just a little more packing power incase I get seen and have to make a hasty retreat :P

i meant that shotties as a primary for use other than breaching was not something that was unheard of in the military, in response to this bit of brainplay's post:

"No shotguns for sure. No one issues a shotgun as a primary weapon due to the weight and low range. Primarily only used as breaching tools for the military and augmented firepower for LEO's (law enforcement officers)."

I have no doubts that shotguns were not issued to snipers at all, but they were certainly used by the military for quite a bit more than opening doors!

Shotguns were never issued to fireteams or combat platoons since WWII when they were used as trench clearing guns. While they may be acquired and added as a augmented support weapon its never as primary. They were issued on a limited basis to Military Police units although Hollywood likes big bored guns with lots of smoke and bang in their movies. Hollywood takes a very broad artistic license when it comes to use of shotguns in movies. I certainly wish my small arsenal of Mossbergs and Remingtons (Texas hunter here) could blow basketball sized holes in 1ft thick walls at point blank or never require reloading :o

While shotties are great for clearing houses they're still a rather long gun and used by LEO's so as to not blast the neighbors through walls. Since we don't care about that in airsoft you're still better off with an SMG, Carbine, or pistol.

But here's a serious question you should ask yourself about backups. When you draw your backup, what do you do with your sniper rifle? Pistols= one hand SMG, shottie, Carbine= sling or leave behind? The decision should be easier once thats answered.

But here's a serious question you should ask yourself about backups. When you draw your backup, what do you do with your sniper rifle? Pistols= one hand SMG, shottie, Carbine= sling or leave behind? The decision should be easier once thats answered.

Me.....

I either put the rifle down, do what ever needs to be done with the secondary and then go and recover the rifle from where I stashed it.

Or if I am on the move, it will be slung and therefore out of the way anyway.

I very occasionally carry the rifle in my left hand and use the pistol single handed.

But Airsoft is a very different prospect to real steel shooting.

on a sniping course we had at our site, the guy running it (serving british army sniper instructor) was telling us to never leave the rifle, in case we couldnt recover it. he recommended dropping to a knee, holding the rifle in the weak hand, butt to the ground, and using it as a support for the pistol (which is the only backup i carry).

i know its not the same as real life, and you can usually nip back for your long, but it works for me, and saves time dashing about for stashed gats!

hope this helps,

shmook

Oh please let me argue about shotguns (its off topic so i wont) But seriously you all know so little about shotguns in military and police settings.

Back to the point of secondaries for snipers. When i snipe, i generally only carry a handgun, and when using that my sniper gets held loose in my off hand, or slung over my off shoulder if i have the time. Generally the only time i have time to sling my rifle and use the handgun two handed is when i am clearing rooms and such forth, and i don't do that very much.... I want to play FIBUA, then i would carry a shotgun for close stuf, sniper for long stuff, and a handgun for the "oh suitcase" moments.

Anybody else consider it cheating to use a long rifle and a sniper in the same match? SMG maybe but to have a AK or M16/M4 slinged over your shoulder. :rolleyes:

realz sniporz can does it :P

proof:

shooter.th.jpg

i watch shooter twice a week so i am a trained sniperz!!!!!1111!!!!! :D

I put the rifle up against a tree when I need to clear a bunker, which I do with my Mk23.

Have considered taking my shottie as a backup, but I don't think I'd really wanna carry too much.

Well, safariland is fine, when i'm not using my ghillie/sniping. I've tried chest mounting on my weesatch also, but i don't like having my weesatch under a ghillie for start. I've tried putting it in a chicom mag pouch, which worked but wasn't that practical haha :D I mounted it at 90 degrees on the back of my GoGear Tactical MOLLE BOSS belt, which was actually very good, but it was rather difficult to draw quickly and then put it back.

To be quite honest, i just don't like the physical restriction of carrying a side arm - although you are restricted in another sense if you don't carry one :(

Side of the buttstock?

Have seen it done with a holster modified onto the cheekpad and looked quite cool, but I guess it depends what your pistol is and what your tactical needlework is like.

@ hammerfall:

fair enough. i use a mag pouch myself, double plce on a belt order, as i like to run light with a ghillie on.

as you said, not so practical, but the way i see it is, if you have to draw fast, then something has gone wrong with fieldcraft, and it should help me become a better player!

i think solid holsters/active retention are too bulky for sniping. im tempted to try a shoulder holster to keep it out of the way, but then again, i wanted to put my radio there, for easy access to change 'nets on the fly.

i couldnt wear one on my chest, it would just dig a rut pointing to me when crawling...

as for not carrying? pah, i bought it, i WILL drag it around with me!

decisions, decisions eh? :D

@scorch:

i couldnt do side of stock, i think the extra weight of a full metal sig, on top of an already heavy L96, would get silly for me.

ive heard of it for smaller framed pistols though, and its not to be discounted. i actually forgot about this, cheers for bringing it up :)

Good point shmook, about the fast drawing - but you never know eh :)

I don't think i could really be bothered having one on the side of the butt stock, i'd have to try it before i knocked it right enough.

I've got an Arktis 1725 which i might have a play about with - see if i can adapt that in some way (it does have some fair sized pouches on it and a big main one in the rig body) - it fits nicely under the ghillie too, which is always a plus :) I'd still just rather not carry one though... :P

@scorch:

i couldnt do side of stock, i think the extra weight of a full metal sig, on top of an already heavy L96, would get silly for me.

ive heard of it for smaller framed pistols though, and its not to be discounted. i actually forgot about this, cheers for bringing it up :)

I always forget about the weight issue, I use a VSR and both my pistols are plastic framed. :blush:

To be quite honest, i just don't like the physical restriction of carrying a side arm - although you are restricted in another sense if you don't carry one :(

All very well if you play the same site all the time, but be aware that should you venture farther around the country, as my team is prone to doing, some sites will require you to be carrying a method of defending yourself inside your MED. ;)

That said, I carry a shot gun(long barrel, no stock) as why would you want batteries to charge or gas to freeze (unless of coarse your rifle is gas then its a given ;) ) Just so you can carry a secondary :huh: KISS theory I believe they call it :D

during my more role-playing based games, I keep a small derringer strapped above my boot, but under my trousers.

I usually load 1 8mm, 3-4 6mm and cap with 1 8mm. the range is very short, maybe 20 feet tops, and i have 2 shots. Works pretty well to disable a guard(s) and allow a team member or two to scamper off into the night.

the HFC nbb pocket mausers work as well, 10 shots NBB and can fit in the smallest of places, ( wore mine strapped to the underside of my boonie.

I only pull them out when I am captured or to pull a POW run. ( our games are all day non-stop with capture rules )

My AICS has a Viper adjustable holster screwed to the buttstock.

It doesn't interfere with the shooting of the gun, and have holstered several things, including a Desert Eagle, with no bother.

Heavy? Sure is. But not that much heavier than a stock AICS.

Ben.

Archived