Comparing CIRAS

smokenghosts

Before going off and buying a CIRAS I was curious what the major differences were since Marine Force Recon use the Land and Mar CIRAS. I'm sure many others are curious and seeing how there has never been a solid answer.

1. Which one is more easy to put on?

2. Which one is more prone to complications? ( I will be running this occasionally with plates but most of the time without. I'm a small guy so I want the most adjustable)

3. Which one has a tighter fit?

4. Which one is used by who and why? (Just curious)

There has to be a major reason as to why Eagle Industries made two. I realize the the Land has more space, and the Mar only has 4 columns on the left and right and then has the elastic material before you can mount something on the rest of the webbing.

I would really appreciate your help guy's/girl's.

Eagle Industries Land CIRAS:

post-58762-1245710719_thumb.jpg

Eagle Industries MAR CIRAS

post-58762-1245710750_thumb.jpg

Thank you

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I would prolly say the Maritime variant is easier to dawn.

2. Its probably easier to prone with the Maritime variant, because the cummerbund doesnt come around the front.

3. The Maritime is more adjustable.

4. Army SF uses the MarCIRAS mainly, however you certainly see some land variants being used by them. SEALs use the MarCIRAS, and Rangers use the land variant.

Personally, I like the Maritime variant better than the land one. I would definatly take a RAV over the land version.

1. I would prolly say the Maritime variant is easier to dawn.

2. Its probably easier to prone with the Maritime variant, because the cummerbund doesnt come around the front.

3. The Maritime is more adjustable.

4. Army SF uses the MarCIRAS mainly, however you certainly see some land variants being used by them. SEALs use the MarCIRAS, and Rangers use the land variant.

Personally, I like the Maritime variant better than the land one. I would definatly take a RAV over the land version.

I have been looking into the MAR CIRAS more, it just seems like it wont be that much of a hassle. Although I don't want to regret a purchase of about $500 dollars so I'm really thinking this out. Thank you

I've been using both EI and Phantom CIRAS for about 4 years now, both in the land variant, and I have to say I love it. I have worn an EI MarCiras and of the two I found that the while the Mar was more adjustable, the Land type fit me better (I'm a big guy though, 5'10'' 185 and very broad chested/shouldered ei Linebacker lol) The Land type is definetly tighter around your abs and has less movement up and down while sprinting.

From what I've gathered here, most branches use both types, but they typically lean one way - for instance, USMC-FR (when using CIRAS) usually use the land variant but there are a few photos of them using the maritime version. Likewise, photos of Army SF usually feature them with the maritime version but I'm sure I've seen them use the land version as well...

I have heard that Ranger's did use the Land CIRAS particularly. I also heard that the FBI HRT squad and SWAT teams use the MAR CIRAS. I think it comes down to how much space you need I guess? Does anyone recommend a size too since the sizing is for the plates. I don't really have a specific plate type but like I said before I'm small at about 5 feet 7 inches.

height has little to do with it, it's chest size. An easier way to size would be by BDU size. Small Reg would be a small size, Medium Reg/Large Reg would would be a medium sized and everything larger would be the large or xl type.

I see. I'll have to really look into it. I'm so eager to get it but I know that I have to make the right decision or I'll be in trouble. I have had bad experience with vests in the past but then again none of them were of such quality as these. Thank you again.

Your getting an actual EI or a repo? One thing to keep in mind with EI is that the color of their OD (if you go that route) is a bit... off. A little "greener" than other OD's. That may have changed in the past few years but that's definitely the case with my EI CIRAS.

I will be going EI, deciding between a few colors. I will definitely remember that while choosing. I heard the CB was good and the RG.

Try khaki-it would work with more style of load outs: SF, SOF, SEALs, etc. Khaki gear works with Multicam also. For CB-you'd be limited to USMC/FR or SEALs and for RG it would be Rangers/SWCC. But its up to you in the end. Good luck!

Are you dead set on a CIRAS? I would suggest getting its replacement, the BAE Eclipse RBAV. I just got mine and it is unreal how light it is.

http://www.eclipsegearonline.com//Default....mp;ProductId=91

http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerc...amp;key=ST-4513

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15210

I'm interested to see how much of a difference this gimmick makes. The design is nothing new, just the fact they have used lighter materials to construct it. Once you're kevlar'd and ceramic'd up, I doubt the few grams you're saving will be noticable, but the reduction in life-span might be.

I personally agree with Angel, the CIRAS isn't really meant to be light, every time I have seen one every inch of molle space has been used. With plates and soft armor there is just no point to trade a couple pounds for durability. Still a cheaper vest that is interesting though.

Archived