Vest for heavy load

ardrummer292

Well, I may be ditching my MBSS for something a bit more gunner-friendly. Granted, the vest isn't bad, but it seems to lack the necessary 'real estate' to spread the weight of my rig out. My 6094 shoulder pads only help so much, especially considering I have 6L of water on my back and 20k rounds plus pyro on my front.

I've been looking at a CIRAS, but I'm not sure if making my load less concentrated will help with my comfort. Maybe the CIRAS will offer better back support via the cummerbund? Honestly, I don't know.

My load is as follows:

BHI M60 pouch x2 + 15k rounds + 2 batteries, LBT canteen pouch + 5k rounds + frags

Pistol mag pouch + M9 mag, frag pouch + frag

TAG MAP + 3L bladders x2 + medkit + 7k rounds

Pouch + comms, M4 double mag pouch + 'buddy' M4 mags x2, double smoke pouch + smokes

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Budget is unlimited, as this is probably going to be used for work as well. I was hoping for some kind of plate carrier. I already have a Hugger, which is nice, but I want something a bit less unique so I don't stand out as 'different.'

Primary concern for now is weight distribution, support, and comfort. I would greatly prefer some kind of PC that also holds soft panels. CIRAS seems pretty nice, and a lot of my guys prefer them over Huggers, but I'm all for some more input.

In case you change your mind, some chest rig options:

CSM (Made to order so you can specify certain things)

http://www.csmgear.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?cat=7

The TAG M60 rig is also really nice but slightly harder to find these days.

In my experience a fixed pouch chest rig is the best way to go for carrying tons of gear.

DSC02353-1.jpg

What about an HSGI weesatch or similar?

Had one, sold it when I bought my Hugger. Probably a bit too similar to my MBSS/Veltye lovechild to be much different.

I'd personally go with an LBE over a PC.

I don't want to stand out from the rest of my guys too much, and I reckon something like a BHI ISSAK 60 rig wouldn't blend well. We run KDH TMBAS and EI MAR-CIRAS for reference.

ETA:

Do you think that having a permanent pouch arrangement actually makes a difference in weight distribution/comfort vs. a similar MOLLE setup? Just curious, never thought about it before.

The problem is that unless you go to a belt-based rig, pretty much all those plate carriers and vests are going to hang on your shoulders pretty hard. Belts would allow you to transfer the weight to the legs; vests on tight enough to do the same are going to restrict the ability of your body to dissipate heat.

I've got to wonder if getting a soft armor carrier to wear under the MBSS would help any. Some of the older guys wear back braces on ops, and I reckon a cranked-down PACA or similar would have a similar effect. Yes, heat dissipation will be sacrificed, but wearing armor is uncomfortable regardless.

Does anyone know the reason LBEs are so comfortable?

Because it puts the majority of weight on your sides, and also your hips. I'd also be concerned about where you're grabbing ammo from. If you are prone, which you're probably going to do quite a bit with a SAW, you will want those big box mags to your sides. It means you're not lying on hard objects, and you're more low profile.

From my experiences, better weight distribution. Usually with LBE's the shoulder straps are incredibly wide.

Now you forgot to mention how your pistol is set up... That becomes an issue with certain LBEs.

My current SAW rig is a RRS-V. As with all chests rigs, they can get front heavy, even with a hydro (eventually that water is going to be gone :P). Becoming front heavy also puts a strain on your back too. Anyway, I'm a sadomasochist so I like my RRS-V support gunner kit. :lol:

For airsoft, I'm usually prone or hard-pointed in a building. My current setup (big ammo pouches up front) doesn't bother me much, as it kinda props me up when prone and affords easy access when kneeling/standing. For the real deal, it's a lot of mount/dismount, so the LBE probably wouldn't cut it.

I have a dropleg 6004 for my M9, FYI.

Gotta wonder if having the ammo at my sides, and therefore in-line with my legs, would reduce perceived weight through lessened back strain. Then again, what would counterweight the 6L of water on my back. Before any of you ask, I do need that much. I'm finding out that VA summers are no joke.

If you have buddies that are similarly sized as you are then try one of theirs on. See how you like it.

Since you have an MBSS you already have MOLLE pouches and so I would recommend a MOLLE rig. If you want it to be able to carry armor then the CIRAS or the RBAV. If you want it to work without armor then an LBV, you can use these with another armor carrier underneath it.

Old school belt rigs with rifleman's pouches replaced with utility/gunners pouches are the best to carry a gunner's load, since you will be prone most of the time you want to keep your front clear so you can hug the ground. Vests aren't as good and you will be limited by number of mounting points, and going prone is a bit more difficult.

If you want MOLLE, a Paraclete RAV or Pantac RAV works well too and has quite a bit of real estate, but still probably not enough. Maybe a blast belt to hold the other items like comms, frags and smokes?

But yeah depends on how you roll with it.

What exactly makes the RBAV better than the CIRAS? I'll be getting the Paraclete if I do end up going for it, as it would be used for the 'real thing.'

Adjusting the RBAV is MUCH easier than with a CIRAS as is assembly. It comes with integrated side plate pockets, which can also double as dual STANAG mag holders (so you can carry 4 mags total if you instead of side SAPI's). It's only 500D, so it's significantly lighter, yet will still hold up well. It also has less "slop" or movement to it even while the CIRAS didn't have much on its own. The RBAV was designed by the same guy who designed the CIRAS, and US Army IOTV.

Didn't realize BAE was a legit manufacturer, not a clone company. Bit of a daft move on my part. On that note...

What makes the RBAV better than the CIRAS? What makes the BAE better than the Paraclete? Is there a difference between a RAV and a RBAV?

BAE is a major defense contractor on the level of Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Boeing, ect. Eclipse Gear is their tactical nylon division.

The Paraclete RBAV is a "RAV 2007" built for BALCS cut soft armor (normal RAV's are use "RAV cut" soft armor). The "RAV 2007" uses an external flap with PALS webbing to secure the outer cummerbund as opposed to the original "RAV 2005" which secured the outer cummerbund with a zipper in the middle and two small buttons.

Adjusting the RBAV is MUCH easier than with a CIRAS as is assembly. It comes with integrated side plate pockets, which can also double as dual STANAG mag holders (so you can carry 4 mags total if you instead of side SAPI's). It's only 500D, so it's significantly lighter, yet will still hold up well. It also has less "slop" or movement to it even while the CIRAS didn't have much on its own. The RBAV was designed by the same guy who designed the CIRAS, and US Army IOTV.

I'd like to add that the fact it is made out of 500D makes it less bulky aswell, which I know is a lot of people's complaint about the CIRAS.

I'd also like to add until they've been in the field a while no-one will have an accurate idea of how the reduction in denier will effect the vest's longevity. As much as fan boys will harp on about the weight saving, once you're under xxx pounds of ammunition and armour I doubt you'll be able to say "wow, i can really feel the difference".

I don't doubt its a very capable platform and one of the better options available. While it has some minor advancements, it doesn't strike me as the second coming of jesus either. Consider it the CIRAS's half-brother. They've got the same father afterall.

Archived