side-by-side, sawed-off shotgun

renegadecow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how much did it cost to build it?

Material cost isn't much, roughly less than $10. Then you add to that the usage of power tools (jigsaw, grinder, drill) and electricity then labor. Can't promise to make more for international orders I'm afraid due to backwards exportation/shipping laws. <_<

can you post up blueprints (or sketches) and measurements? i REALLY want to build one.

I'll make a paint version of the design. It's currently on some dodgy scratch paper.

can we see pics of it being handled by someone?

I'll take pics tonight during my weekender card game with the boys.

one more thing, the reason the shells fire off fine with normal depression of the button is because when the valve creeps open, the millisecond the gas starts flowing the valve is forced completely open to let the rest of the gas out. it really is just a small grenade.

I see you haven't tried detonating one of the Tanaka shells by hand. A typical 40mm gas grenade has the valve set up so that it actually opens up on its own pressure. What you press on is the locking mechanism which is why they're fairly light and could be operated without a launching device. The Tanaka shells on the other hand operate like GBB handgun valves where the pressure keeps it shut and something has to force it open. While its not entirely difficult to discharge a gbb magazine with your thumb, the way the Tanaka shell is designed makes it about 10x harder to open to give you an idea. I was skeptical at first (see first post) when I was fiddling with the shells, trying to gauge how impossibly stiff they were to operate, but in the end using a lever and making good use of the mechanical advantage proved otherwise.

I see you haven't tried detonating one of the Tanaka shells by hand. A typical 40mm gas grenade has the valve set up so that it actually opens up on its own pressure. What you press on is the locking mechanism which is why they're fairly light and could be operated without a launching device. The Tanaka shells on the other hand operate like GBB handgun valves where the pressure keeps it shut and something has to force it open. While its not entirely difficult to discharge a gbb magazine with your thumb, the way the Tanaka shell is designed makes it about 10x harder to open to give you an idea. I was skeptical at first (see first post) when I was fiddling with the shells, trying to gauge how impossibly stiff they were to operate, but in the end using a lever and making good use of the mechanical advantage proved otherwise.

i see, well, ill wait on those sketches. but, i dont think international shipping will be a problem if you ship it un-painted and partially disassembled. anyway, i would like to build it myself.

i just don't trust myself with wood work, i may just build the grips out of mighty putty and lead weights.

i think the madbull shells actually work like grenades though, having to be reset and all.

lol, think about it. the gun costs 10 bucks, but ill end up spending 150 in shells...

lol, nice bondage mask....

i think it would look nice if the barrels extended passed the wood for another 2 inches or so. thats the only thing bothering me.

i also have an idea to make a spring loaded barrel lever instead of the type you have where you have to push it back and forth. this way you can flick the gun upwards to close it and not have to fiddle with the latch.

i would also incorporate a hold open spring in the joint so it snaps down and stays open so you can just rock the gun up and the shells will fall out.

but i need your sketches. no hurry, just mentioning it.

can you activate both triggers with the right hand on yours? doesnt look like it. may make my triggers out of slabs of metal so i can make my triggers further apart and thus thinner.

I believe the way those triggers work is that you pull the forward blade first, *bang*, then they become level, and you can follow on with the second shot by pulling them both back *bang*. Obviously the first trigger doesnt do anything when you pull the second, its just like pulling a wider trigger- thats how you can fire 2 shots in very rapid succession with a double trigger gun (normally they'd be spring loaded as noted, and with adjustable pull weights/ travel probably too).

i think it would look nice if the barrels extended passed the wood for another 2 inches or so. thats the only thing bothering me.

can you activate both triggers with the right hand on yours? doesnt look like it. may make my triggers out of slabs of metal so i can make my triggers further apart and thus thinner.

The barrels length is just a matter of preference. The original MadMax shotgun is what you're after; the fore end isn't shortened and the barrels cut a few inches after the fore end. It's just that my friend (the guy being held hostage in the pic) is not very tall and wanted the shotgun made shorter for his size.

Both trigger can be actuated at the same time on mine, but you'd need 2 separate fingers to do the job. A bit weird to fire this way and its highly not recommended on real steel anyways as its known to break wrists.

I believe the way those triggers work is that you pull the forward blade first, *bang*, then they become level, and you can follow on with the second shot by pulling them both back *bang*. Obviously the first trigger doesnt do anything when you pull the second, its just like pulling a wider trigger- thats how you can fire 2 shots in very rapid succession with a double trigger gun (normally they'd be spring loaded as noted, and with adjustable pull weights/ travel probably too).

The Tanaka shell valve limits the trigger movement in this case, so after the forward trigger is pulled, it's not going any farther to pull the next one. You release the first trigger and the valve on the shell, which is spring loaded resets itself including the first trigger and you simply pull on the rear trigger to fire the next round. Two successive shots in 1 second.

Off Topic: (just sharing)

That nasty looking gimp/bdsm mask worn by my friend in the previous page isn't actually a bondage mask. It is in fact a perfectly working and authentic lucha mask meant for wrestling as its made of comfortable lycra instead of the usual sensory deprivating leather. I'll be using it for airsoft of course as even those "jason" masks that are becoming popular are looking kinda corny the more I see them; nothing better to scare the kids this Halloween by dressing up as a child rapist. Bought it through Ebay from Mex-Masks.

• 1 month later...

Here's the plan:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/ren...dmaxshotgun.jpg

I was having difficulty using illustrator so I ended up finishing it with paint. Everything's to scale, but I doubt it retained proper dimension as paint doesn't have grid options. Just set it up so that the barrel is 8" long as indicated then print it.

Haven't had time to work any further with the double monstrosity (the fate of things that I do for myself), however I've been approached to do a full length blunderbuss model and still ironing out the details. Should be as epic as the "force-a-nature" on paper at least.

• 4 months later...

Not meaning to necropost, but i was wondering what you used to keep the trigger system in (as in the rod that the trigger rotates around), as if you use a straight metal rod wont it fall out?

Many thanks, Tam.

• 2 years later...

Archived