ASCUK

blue_5

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how many people tried logging on earlier and thought something similar had happened to arnies :P

Sorry about that - we were in the process of upgrading IPB, which desperately needs updating. Unfortunately in doing so it was made abundantly clear that PHP also needs desperately updating as the upgrade hit some glitches. It'll all be sorted soon and the new, flashier forum will be up and running by tomorrow probably.

Oi! ;)

Don't get me started on pubs I used to drink in that have closed too...

You know, I hadn't yet read Marlowe's post about the forum upgrades when i tried logging on earlier, so i made a small effigy of you and was happily sticking pins into it when the forum came back. So, err...sorry about that. Im sure they do a cream for it or something.

I think I'll avoid the new site and stick to Arnies, SimplyAirsoft, and Zero-In. One of the main 'problem-mods' from ASC is a big part of the new forum (according to his post on SimplyAirsoft) and I don't imagine he'll be changing his ways any time soon. Thanks Aitch and all other involved, but I won't be wasting my time in a forum with him on board, and I know a lot of others who suffered his wrath on ASC who feel the same.

I had issues earlier on i thought it was my ISP though. :huh:

I think I'll avoid the new site and stick to Arnies, SimplyAirsoft, and Zero-In. One of the main 'problem-mods' from ASC is a big part of the new forum (according to his post on SimplyAirsoft) and I don't imagine he'll be changing his ways any time soon. Thanks Aitch and all other involved, but I won't be wasting my time in a forum with him on board, and I know a lot of others who suffered his wrath on ASC who feel the same.

Your choice, i'll head over there and see what the UKAZ has to offer. I'll try and avoid the problem mod whoever he is!

After spending a couple of days reading through this, I thought it time to add my thoughts and comments to the mix.

Having been airsofting for over 13 years now I've been on most forums including Arnies and originally UKAN but mainly ASCUK over the last few years. I've always used them constructively for input and experience on my behalf as well as knowledge and service on their part. I've toed the line and communicated where necessary on points in line with the rules laid out by all. Annoyingly this wasn't always understood by all members what with the Forum being privately run. In my opinion you act as you should and if not, the consequences are yours to deal with. I started Airsofting at 17 and have always played by those rules both playing and on-line.

Mod bashing ticked me off for the same reasons. If you don't like to be told, don't ask! Again, I generally always found the guys to be fair and personable. That's my opinion and not a point for discussion.

Kevin and Cpt D always answered my classifieds well. Morden and DC added sound airsoft knowledge and humour. I did many a deal with Taffy over the years who I always found to be a great guy. Beaker always takes the bad press, but again, its wholly unjustified when you are trying to moderate a forum where any T,DoH can join freely. Beaker was once stiffed on a deal on the forums and decided to visit the guy to rightly claim the goods he had paid for and not received. Before doing that, he offered to pick up other forum members issues with the same guy, and Me having been involved in a deal which went pear shaped also with the same member got in touch. Beaker got my item ( MP5K ) and very kindly posted it to me so that my deal was complete. Off his own back. I certainly don't forget things like that and its annoying to see the whole " uncaring / nazi / hard-line" naming being thrown around.

And Aitch......well, 'nuff said about Auld Bloo the better! Again though always found to be fair and professional.

From me its the best of luck to whatever springs from the closedown of ASCUK. I will continue to contribute and get involved in all of the forums I use and hope that it will be of assistance to other airsofters on the whole.

Good Luck, Good Times and thanks for the memories.

Cheers

Tone

You know...this is insane.

Some people are just making apologetic speeches for the ASCUK site/moderators, as if they feel bigotry, abuse and ego-driven moderation is deserved.

Put it this way:

You go to a blokes house. His house, his rules yeah? You dont like his coffee and he notices it. He verbally abuses you then throws you out of his house. Would you consider that to be acceptable behaviour.

Or even better, try this. Theres a party at this guys house. You dont like his coffee. He gets 30 of his mates to crowd round, verbally abuse you, then kick you out...

I was wrong though, you reminded me of a third good mod. So Aitch, Taffy and Morden it is then (bear in mind I havent been on more than 3 times in the last 2 years). Aitch could be stern and strict one day, then help you with valuable tech info the next - a good moderator. Never seen Taffy or Morden attack anyone unprovoked.

Gotta say, I wont miss the place.

Ok before I start

I have the highest regard for anyone who takes the time to run a forum, couldnt and wouldnt do it. I for one thank Fluffy and the rest for running ASCUK for as long as they did.

However for most of the time I was a member, from the very start , the modding of the site was mostly done with the attitude of " my ball my rules " . The classic comment made once was and I quote " this is not a democracy if you dont like it feel free to leave " and yes it was their forum and we were guests but as I said time and again without your members a forum is nothing.

Syncophantism ruled and anyone who rocked the boat was dropped on by all the

" crew ". A good friend of mine commented on something said by a mod and their response was instant banning.

I dare say lots of people can tell similar stories so to now gloss things over and tell everyone how wonderful everyone was is putting the rose coloured glasses on somewhat.

Nige

I have a little story to tell about some awful modding on there...might post later if I feel its appropriately on-topic.

Thing is, a lot of the time you didnt NEED a god-mod to start off on someone. When an Arnies mod went over there to try and make peace after the 'eyeball' downtime (I think I mentioned this earlier), it was some pages in before a mod turned up and started slating him. The sycophants did that well enough on their own for a while.

... without your members a forum is nothing...

And now it is just that...

I think the way posts had fallen off dramatically in the last few months I regularly visited (and the odd time I popped in to look for interesting post more recently) suggests many people had voted with their keyboards and it had become a haven for a hardcore of regulars (a clique in other words) and a few newbies who hadn't yet fallen foul of the extreme-mods or tired of their attitude to others.

They were, of course, utterly within their rights to say and do whatever they liked on the forum - It WAS their forum and they could make the rules, but it wasn't a place for reasoned discussion in the latter stages, so if that's what you wanted you had to go elsewhere and it seemed to me that most people did...

I think ASCUK's time had simply come - What's the URL of this new forum everyone's on about? I might give it a try for a bit (although I can safely say if one or two ASCUK mods are there I won't bother).

Cheers.

You know...this is insane.

Some people are just making apologetic speeches for the ASCUK site/moderators, as if they feel bigotry, abuse and ego-driven moderation is deserved.

I think "Insane" is a bit of a drama to be honest and my post was very clear in its intention. They were my thoughts and experiences and as below, noted as such.

Mod bashing ticked me off for the same reasons. If you don't like to be told, don't ask! Again, I generally always found the guys to be fair and personable. That's my opinion and not a point for discussion.

I merely stated my own individual and un-prompted reply to the thread and tyhats where I wish to leave it. Im not here to debate it any more.

Cheers

Tone

www.ukairsoftzone.co.uk/forums

Forget about the mods, you wont see what they are doing, MODERATION is key, if they start the old *suitcase* again they are gone, simple, they are under no illusions either, if my fellow admin start slipping I'm gone, the sales fgorum will still be moderated as we always used to, it's what made them great and no one ever complained when we were keeping them and their money safe, we'll continue to try to do that :),

We made 100 members in less than 16 hours, which is good going for word of mouth, we'll get an announcement out over arnies news/airsoft news EU and Airsoft Ireland once we have some artwork to make us look less pikey :)

Guzzi, the past has taught us some lessons, what I said above will stand, or I wont be there, we want to be the UK hub again and we're building bridges towards that,

I'm really pleased weith the reception most have given us, although a lot will be taking it with a pinch of salt, I wont let yous down :)

UKAZ taking C**T out of *omm**i*y ;) catchy :P

Sign up and see what happens, get your local site to sign up, even if it's just a redirect to their forum elsewhere, any advertising is a good thing.

www.ukairsoftzone.co.uk/forums

Forget about the mods, you wont see what they are doing, MODERATION is key, if they start the old *suitcase* again they are gone, simple, they are under no illusions either, if my fellow admin start slipping I'm gone, the sales fgorum will still be moderated as we always used to, it's what made them great and no one ever complained when we were keeping them and their money safe, we'll continue to try to do that :) ,

We made 100 members in less than 16 hours, which is good going for word of mouth, we'll get an announcement out over arnies news/airsoft news EU and Airsoft Ireland once we have some artwork to make us look less pikey :)

Guzzi, the past has taught us some lessons, what I said above will stand, or I wont be there, we want to be the UK hub again and we're building bridges towards that,

I'm really pleased weith the reception most have given us, although a lot will be taking it with a pinch of salt, I wont let yous down :)

UKAZ taking C**T out of *omm**i*y ;) catchy :P

Sign up and see what happens, get your local site to sign up, even if it's just a redirect to their forum elsewhere, any advertising is a good thing.

why you have to sign in to see anything? closed forums are big turn off...like its for chosen people only, who are mates of someone or not.

why you have to sign in to see anything? closed forums are big turn off...like its for chosen people only, who are mates of someone or not.

Not really, as anyone can join as long as you have an email address. It stops people going on there and ripping decent articles directly to other websites, and makes troublemaking alot harder.

I've signed up on there already and will see how it develops :)

Archived