do you abuse your precious kit?

sniperiain

I think it's idiotic to try and wear your gear.

I know some people do it for the look, and I've got no problem with that. But going out in the field and throwing yourself all over the place, then pretending you don't care when you got your £1000.00 uber-mega-super weesatch dirty just to appear slightly more hardcore is very childish.

It isn't life and death, it's a game of airsoft. As a sniper, I'll usually spend most of the game time either lying on the floor or lent against a tree/stump/rock etc. That doesn't mean I look for patches of mud and gravel to roll in... It's about picking the best position, which for me happens to be the most comfortable, which helps me shoot.

But you can't throw these guns around. They're finicky, and break often. Also, what's the point of affecting the re-sale value to show off to your mates (who think you're a hardcore wannabe geardo anyway)?

If it's pertinent to the loadout, fine, weather your gear. If you're going for a certain look, fine, weather your gun. But if you're doing it to pretend your style of airsoft is somehow superior to other people's, then just no.

Ben.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My airsoft kit a a SORD MFF chest rig, pistol holster, single mag pouch, pistol mag pouch and a grenade pouch. I think that defines "high speed, low drag"

Because of that i run around like a nutter, i don't roll in mud or slam into things on purpose, i just have a lot more fun acting like a bit of a tit. My kits all dirty and beaten up as i use it, if something breaks then tough, i know i use it. I don't abuse it though. If im using the Thompson, i do slow down a little, she has a little more sensitive barrel than the other workhorses :P

• 3 weeks later...

Personally at the end of the day its 'millitary kit', all my stuff is 'real steel/genuine' Blackhawk/5.11 Tactical/some surplus.

I do drive around in woodland, go prone get strachted up n all sorts. I used to play at a site that was also a paintball place still went prone n drived around. I just give it a good clean once a month.

I've had most my current kit for coming up to 4 years now and its all fine (vest, holsters etc) worst damage ive ever done wasnt even during a skirmish it was at a festive had some surplus combats on and 1.5 year old 5.11 boots the buttons snapped off, zip broke, side of the sole came off my left boot, the entire sole came off my right boot and then filled with water just before this.

But got new combats and new 5.11 boots, new boots are even better wore them working on a building site everyday for 8 hours for 7 months still look exellent I also ware them most days when i go out. coming up to 18 - months now and boots still newish just a few scrapes.

So to sum up lol, i use and abuse my kit. Its what its made for really, theres nothing more than I hate than buying things just to look at never to use, like fancy furniture and things. Except for film props :D

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my stuff looks pretty new and has if any very little ware, I would say i am some what careful with how I am with gear but that won't stop me from belly crawling along the ground if need be.

The gun I am actually very careful with in terms of liability to break it. I don't mind scratches or scuffs or fingerprints or external dirt but anything that could break it i will be aghast of doing.

Purposeful abuse? No way in hell. If I accidentally dropped my rifle, I would scold myself for being careless. In the field, I avoid foolishness such as deliberately trekking through knee-deep mud.

Regular use is another story. If the quickest way to the objective involves making my way through a muddy creek, so be it. If I hit the deck under fire and happen to land on fresh dung, that's fine too. The only thing I do look after in the field is my rifle - unnecessary abuse (banging it against walls, covering it in mud, etc.) tend to lead to malfunctions, and malfunctions would leave me with nothing more than my sidearm. But even then, if I have to get through a cracked and jammed window, I wouldn't hesitate to use my rifle's stock.

But then again, most airsoft games don't involve such intensity. Most of the time, I walk away with my kit relatively clean and intact. The most often wear and tear involve dirt and water.

• 1 month later...

My boyfriend and I don't like stuff that's too shiny and perfect. So he'll go out of his way to make it look nice and beat up (as if we don't naturally rip stuff apart beautifully during gameplay :P ), including paint jobs that make everything permanently dirty/rusty. It's kind of awesome.

Especially when we drive his truck down an empty side street, dragging a vest on the ground and making slight burn marks all over it. All in good fun... :)

Especially when we drive his truck down an empty side street, dragging a vest on the ground and making slight burn marks all over it. All in good fun... :)

Ya know, I really should replace that flare pouch... that hole that got burnt into the side of it is probably no bueno... :D

I personally wouldn't purposely wear and tear my gear. It's like buying pre-ripped jeans, why bother? I have no doubt I'll rip them on my own time, simply by wearing them a few times anyway. tongue.gif My gear will accumulate dents and scratches, and then when someone asks "Dude, what did you DO!?" I'll have a story to tell.

That means I'm not opposed to crawling through mud and what not. Although I try not to do anything I'll regret later...

He had an AK that he would not use, even worse, he was so careful with it, it would not have a speck or spot on it.

Its a steel body AK. Heck, a rub over after each game with a silicone rag and it would be great.

I know the Real Sword guns are gorgious and not exactly cheap but meh, use it, wall hang it or sell it. ;)

lol thats crazy, I use a realsword svd and I drop it or stand it up against me while standing around chatting on hard sandy ground and it falls all the time and I actually have used it as a club to knock through thick brush, I love the thing to death but no use in trying to baby your main tool of the trade am i right? I mean you wont get anything done if your worrying about breaking kit while your out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All my gear gets a right taste of weathering. Whether its me slamming it into a wall or the floor in CQB while I dive for cover, or trip after an attempted dive out in the woods and fill the muzzle full of dirt, I don't think I haven't got a single bit of kit that is scratched, dented or have some semblence of mud on it (or all three).

I dont actually care.. as long as it works after a clean, why does it matter!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I started an airsoft gun manufacturing company, the first thing we would design would be a line of AKs that as tough as the real steel i.e. you could drive a talk over one and it'd still function. Then would come the hardkick gbb shell ejectors, with the shells you leave on the field with your BBs...

As said i dont abuse my kit i use it to the max! Although my pistol is something that i abuse! Its been dropped, used as a pickaxe when climbing slopes, used to break branches and occasionlly as a doorstop. Its a sigma 40f that i paid 80 quid for and has been worth all 80. oh and it still works! i remember the look i got when during a cqb game i dropped it on a road between two buildings. iit was pointed out to me by a team mate who kindly offered to put down covering fire so i could get it, the look on his face when i told him ill get it later, you'd swear it was a baby i left.

I do hit the deck when needs be though, sure thats half the fun of the game!

Archived