Having a manly day

cool-breeze87

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blame the Austrians, making a rifle without bayonet lugs as standard and saying that are 'barbaric'.

Pfft, nothing is as manly as stabbing someone that you can then try to shoot with enough force to dislodge said bayonet ;).

'FireKnife'

Seen that before - Manly as *fruitcage*. A true man wouldn't holster it, he'd merely stick the blade in his squire / sidekick / wifes leg for holstering purposes.

Because every great man has someone else carry his sword / save him from silly peril / love (abuse) :P.

'FireKnife'

Today I have;

Taken the the dogs for a 2 hour walk, getting them properly *suitcase*-up in mud. Not a fairy little stroll, but proper outdoor walk requiring sturdy boots.

played Hunter-gatherer to procure precious medicines for my wife

fixed a chainsaw for use later today

Have sharpened my machete also for use today

Made a sandwich by smashing a lump of beef between bread

Consumed said sandwich, complete with grunting and roaring noises

Retrieved tools for oily Car-fixage stuff

Wiped a bogey on my sleeve in a nonchalant manner

Farted. A lot.

Gone for 2 epic poos.

Typed this while having second epic poo.

Grr.

I blame the Austrians, making a rifle without bayonet lugs as standard and saying that are 'barbaric'.

Pfft, nothing is as manly as stabbing someone that you can then try to shoot with enough force to dislodge said bayonet ;).

'FireKnife'

That's naughty.

Anyway, you don't need a bayonette, you can just ram the rifle barrel through their eye-socket.

• 2 weeks later...

What type of engineer? One that actually does something or one of these clueless shiney-*albartroth* twits who have no practical experience and a terrible fear of leaving their desks? It's infuriating when someone insists it will fit because it does 'on the computer' and won't accept that the computer model and the actual jet dont match perfectly, nor will the part you are trying to fit.

What type of engineer? One that actually does something or one of these clueless shiney-*albartroth* twits who have no practical experience and a terrible fear of leaving their desks? It's infuriating when someone insists it will fit because it does 'on the computer' and won't accept that the computer model and the actual jet dont match perfectly, nor will the part you are trying to fit.

This reminds me I really should bring up a pic of the 'Engineers' we have at work. Out of all of them the two guys that look like they should have retired a decade ago put them all to shame, along with the only female in the place.

The planning office, now that is a place full of the above type that Azubi has mentioned :P

'FireKnife'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a large weekend for manly behaviour.

Friday:

Fell off bike, broke brake lever, gouged leg.  Leg would not stop bleeding.

Bodged brake lever - completed ride, approximately 15 more miles.

On returning home I cleaned the wound with iodine and discovered a chunk of oily gravel in it which is why it wouldn't stop bleeding.

I sealed it with superglue and went to a barbecue.

Saturday, went to a wedding  - helped organise *suitcase* even though it wasn't my place to.  People need to square away their admin or I will, I hope they feel shame.

On the way home (with brother, his wife, wife, gran and sister in the car) the car lost all electrical power (including wipers and lights in the dark and rain) on an unlit section of motorway with no hard shoulder.

I used my res-Q-me to shatter the non functioning electric driver's window, elbowed the glass out and stuck my head out of the window so I could still drive to the hard shoulder.

I started losing power so I floored it and smoke began to pour out of the bonnet.

I lost all drive so I dipped the clutch and managed to get to the hard shoulder on momentum.

Got the family out and the car burst into flames.

All OK.

Sunday, watched free practice 1, 2 and 3, qualifying and the Belgian GP which I had taped.

Monday, dismantled and re-constructed scaffolding structures under water in 0 vis.  Went to bike shop, got new bag, went out for 24 mile ride - superglue working, no new blood.

I'm feeling pretty good, I burned 1800 Kcal and the entire banana Soreen I just ate (delicious) only has 900 in it.

Been a large weekend for manly behaviour.

Friday:

Fell off bike, broke brake lever, gouged leg.  Leg would not stop bleeding.

Bodged brake lever - completed ride, approximately 15 more miles.

On returning home I cleaned the wound with iodine and discovered a chunk of oily gravel in it which is why it wouldn't stop bleeding.

I sealed it with superglue and went to a barbecue.

Saturday, went to a wedding  - helped organise *suitcase* even though it wasn't my place to.  People need to square away their admin or I will, I hope they feel shame.

On the way home (with brother, his wife, wife, gran and sister in the car) the car lost all electrical power (including wipers and lights in the dark and rain) on an unlit section of motorway with no hard shoulder.

I used my res-Q-me to shatter the non functioning electric driver's window, elbowed the glass out and stuck my head out of the window so I could still drive to the hard shoulder.

I started losing power so I floored it and smoke began to pour out of the bonnet.

I lost all drive so I dipped the clutch and managed to get to the hard shoulder on momentum.

Got the family out and the car burst into flames.

All OK.

Sunday, watched free practice 1, 2 and 3, qualifying and the Belgian GP which I had taped.

Monday, dismantled and re-constructed scaffolding structures under water in 0 vis.  Went to bike shop, got new bag, went out for 24 mile ride - superglue working, no new blood.

I'm feeling pretty good, I burned 1800 Kcal and the entire banana Soreen I just ate (delicious) only has 900 in it.

What the hell? which car was it? what happened? HOW DID IT SET ON FIRE?!

glad to hear you're all safe though.

Also, them res-q-me's, thoughts? always been interested in getting one but unsure how bulky they'd actually be on a keyring. Presumably you're quite glad you had it with you?

My god, stunt... You always bloody win this thread.

I was going to write that I re-roofed my garage, but that pales into insignificance compared to that!

Regarding the superglue though, i think there is a school of thought that it can damage flesh and trap rubbish in unless its medical grade stuff, but the iodine should keep infection at bay! Saying that, I carry it too for the same situation.

Glad that rescue me worked, and you all got out safe and sound :)

Edit, tink, don't carry it on your keys, cable tie it round the gear stick. It's always to hand then :)

The res-Q-me is a lovely piece of kit, I have given one to my wife too.

The glass smasher works really well (but not on laminated glass as with all percussive glass breakers) and the seat belt cutter goes through them like a knife through, well, a seat belt.

I do keep mine on my keys not on the gear stick but it is the only other thing I keep on the car key (the house keys and work keys are separate) so it isn't too bulky.

Lucky I did really since it would have been in the Clio and not in the Pug with me when it happened.

A diesel Pug 306, from the behaviour of the car I'd put it down to a serious electrical fault but I'm not sure how that would get the fuel going unless the electrical fire burned the fuel line and the fuel sprayed onto the turbo.

Diesel's flash temperature is in the 350°C range so it's not easy to get going.

Superglue - I agree but if you think of it like a dressing then you wouldn't put a dressing over a dirty cut and just leave it would you?

The iodine I have stays with some disposable syringes and sterile 21ga needles, I can either use the needles to irrigate deeper wounds or inject iodine directly into a blister's serum before putting the duct tape on.

Works for me.

I've done it to others who have complained of a sharp burning pain associated with iodine (or a sandy vagina).

YMMV.

• 3 months later...

Feeling totally awesome.

My post in "My eye!" got me a bit down so I got on the rowing machine - 5k in just under 20 minutes (19:40ish).

Not billiant but considering it was my second row this week and therefore my second in about 3 years since it went in the shed it'll do.

Chocolate milk as a recovery drink and I'm in endorphine city right now.

Also today I repaired a leaky radiator and fitted some parts to the aforementioned rowing machine to make it work better.

I fittted:

?A new damper (adjusts the airflow and therefore the drag factor). It isn't strictly speaking a "hardness" setting but it simulates rowing more or less hydrodynamically efficient boats.

I always use it on level 10, I prefer it to be more of a muscle workout than cardio.

?2 new top rollers, the rollers that go between the seat and the surface of the beam.  My rower was (and always has been) bumpy as hell, step one in a two part program to repair that.

?A new stainless steel track.  The beam is aluminium and not too hard wearing so there is a stainless steel sheet bonded to the top.  I followed the instructions for replacing it and I found the problem straight away.

Some knucklehead had previously tried to re-glue a track that had come un-stuck but instead of double sided tape (correct) he had used hot glue (incorrect).  This had left a raised texture on the beam and as a result the stainless steel had warped resulting in a bumpy ride.  The hot glue resisted my heat gun/scraper combo but was vanquished by the 4" grinder/wire brush team.

?A new "ergonomic" handle, this is an upgrade for my model C rower to bring it up to model D/E spec, plastic instead of wood and slightly curved instead of straight.

I'll be doing more rowing than cycling over the winter, unless someone gets me a set of rollers for bloody xmas.

So it's good that it is much smoother and therefore quieter now.

Archived