SKS Type 56 Carbine

renegadecow

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it sure didn't appear there spontaneously. I had to hard sell the topic when he (TFB) was requesting for guest posters to write stuff for his blog while he went on vacation. It was this or the Magpul-Uzi I've been cooking up, but seeing as that isn't finished yet (and it probably made him throw up in his mouth) he wanted to put up my SKS build instead.

• 6 months later...

Thanks. Yeah that's kinda late, but anyway, I got height and length dimensions scaled off pictures. Some parts were easy enough to deduce in width like the barrel collar being round, but the width of the receiver and parts in it had to rely on the dimensions of the gearbox. That said, my replica is wider by some 2-3mm than the real one.

Also, something not so old, I've made a montage of the build set to some appropriate era music:

As I said, amazing job. I am making a solidworks model going off of the real sks pictures and also your pictures. It is going well, but I was wondering if you could take a few more dimensions for me. Mostly dimensions of the receiver are what I need. I have my receiver almost done, just need to tweak the dimensions. I hope to make easy plans to build it and then I might even try my hand with my CNC. I hope you can provide some dimensions for me. Thanks. Here are some pictures so far.

S73ng.jpg

5KFwa.jpg

Some dimensions. I modeled in inches, so that's why the numbers are a bit weird

7lj9T.jpg

Is it for an AEG? If you're planning it for a V7 gearbox as I've done all you need is its width which is 26mm. As for your sketch, receiver dimensions are kinda off. The guide rails are supposed to be level with the area of the receiver holding the barrel collar minus the part holding the gas piston. The left guide rail is also supposed to extend all the way to the front as you'll get carrier tilt without it. Judging from it's thickness, are you patterning it on a late model Norinco? Only they made stamped steel receivers whose guide rails are thin which also meant thin groves on the carrier. I made the barrel collar in mine part of the receiver, but is actually part of the barrel on the real one. Its shape and length is determined by what specific build you're doing. If you're doing a late Norinco, the collar should be flush with the receiver. The mid length collars were only implemented on mid-60's Chinese samples. Then there's the bottom part. On the real one you need to have it closed off because that's where the bolt rides on to lock against the carrier. On an AEG it could be left open having no bolt, but you'll still need to implement the hooks that attach to the magazine and trigger guard. Unless of course you mean to have those two parts just screw on the stock instead. There are two ways you could design it as I see it: 1 is to just make it look authentic when assembled with parts simply screwed on the stock, the other is to get it similar to the assembly of the real one, which is a more painstaking task to do. The way the rifle was designed is that the receiver, trigger guard, magazine and barrel all mesh and interlock together sandwiching the stock. You'd need to design those parts simultaneously along with the gearbox to get it right.

Archived