Airsoft Pistol Shooting

FireKnife

APS UK  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to participate in airsoft pistol competitons in the UK.

I've been doing some thinking about the targets and I've moved away from the paper targets and the cans totally. Either version requires you to get a marshal to go around and reset the targets, a task that takes quite a lot of time out of the day.

I'm thinking about hanging things on string. They will visibly move, and preferably make a loud sound. I have been playing with the base of a pringle tin, two strings fed through to keep it in the correct orientation seems to work quite well. I would prefer larger targets maybe 4 or 6 inches.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking about hanging things on string. They will visibly move, and preferably make a loud sound. I have been playing with the base of a pringle tin, two strings fed through to keep it in the correct orientation seems to work quite well. I would prefer larger targets maybe 4 or 6 inches.

A good idea but in some case you will still need a marshal to either set the string targets straight or if a slight breeze is present then the targets will sway, which i can see people having issues with. Take a lot more for a card nailed down to sway.

'FireKnife'

A good idea but in some case you will still need a marshal to either set the string targets straight or if a slight breeze is present then the targets will sway, which i can see people having issues with. Take a lot more for a card nailed down to sway.

'FireKnife'

Not if you are indoors. But fair points, I'm just trying to come up with ideas to speed the day along as it seems to me that you spend 30-90 seconds doing a shoot then 5 minutes setting up for the next shooter...

Not if you are indoors. But fair points, I'm just trying to come up with ideas to speed the day along as it seems to me that you spend 30-90 seconds doing a shoot then 5 minutes setting up for the next shooter...

Even indoors you get a breeze :D

But i have managed to set it up that it will take 30secs max to set a shoot up after each person and anyway it will take at least 30secs to change shooters as they will need to strip the weapon for safety then move to the safe room and call up the next player who will have to load ther gun, holster it and get into position.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to offer my full support for any practical pistol shooting that is going on in the south.

With notice I can book Ford Rifle Ranges, http://www.fordranges.co.uk/ to host a regional competition on the first Sunday of most months.

I'm surprised to see three airsofters in this thread who know me and haven't even asked, if you look at the Ford Ranges section of Arnies my last comp was run in December 2007, but there wasn't enough interest to keep it going.

We have four remote controlled turning targets that can be programmed to run on command or do the pre set army practical pistol competition.

Happy to coordinate with the range managment for any events you would want to run.

If you could set a standard course, one with defined parameters that could be accuratley repoduced, then it might be a good idea to set up regional events to start with and hold competitions that could be locally adjudicated, and everyone send their top three results into a central collator to give results. This would be easier to set up to start with rather than expecting airsofters who live a six hour drive away to attend a national event.

Madbull do a shot timer for PP shooting, if there was enough interest locally, I might get the range to invest in one.

• 1 month later...

are you also thinking of a fire position comp?

IE standing non moving

kneeling non moving target

prone and non moving target

Lane walking/pop up targets (a la swat style, which woul dalso incorporate the mag change speed)

all of above with moving targets? and then based on types of pistols?

just an out loud thought, whilst stripping my C60 :P

are you also thinking of a fire position comp?

IE standing non moving

kneeling non moving target

prone and non moving target

Lane walking/pop up targets (a la swat style, which woul dalso incorporate the mag change speed)

all of above with moving targets? and then based on types of pistols?

Some of the tests require standing, kneeling and shooting through set windows to make it harder to hit a target.

Moving wise there is at least two of the tests that require a person to fire on the move, in one case if you stop moving that is the end of the course, so it is all fire on the move.

Pop up targets are proving an issue as i haven't the cash to spend at the moment.

And as for types of pistols we have classes for Compact, Standard, Custom and Open, however aside from the Open all guns must be GBB and semi only.

Unfortunatley as i am swamped with college work this will be somewhat toned down until i have finished my course and moved back to South England.

'FireKnife'

Would definitely be interested. I attended one of the earliest practical pistol courses at Shotley Gate back when handguns were legal using a H&K P7 M13 and the one shooting course that stuck in my mind was the "Flush ######".

The shooter starts sitting in a toilet cubicle with an extra large pair of jeans around his ankles (the gun belt is attached to these, not to the shooters own trousers). At the start signal the cubicle door opens and the shooter must then draw and engage 6 targets (2 rnds each) at various ranges from the sitting position before shooting a stop plate to stop the clock.

Definitely slows you up a little as the gun belt isn't fastened and makes drawing the weapon a bit of a sod. (try it, you'll see what I mean.

Well if it ever gets to that point then i will know we have enough good courses to put a humourus one in :P

However i am not sure at the moment how to go about this 100%, now i have had a think i may do a sort of first you have to pass a short 5 tests with an average score to do a full run at the end of the day. Wil have to wait until college is over then i will be straight on this, not long to go.

'FireKnife'

• 7 months later...

Not quite yet but after Christmas watch this space, might take a while but it will happen.

Also likely to be South West for my starting point, anyone in that area that has a pistol and some spare time give me a PM (Bristol or near enough area).

'FireKnife'

Well i have found some targets, a few ideas and such but now somewhere to set it up, maybe see if i can start on a bit of spare unfarmable land etc, loads of local farmers round here with areas they have no use for and some corrugated iron for a small hut / range.

'FireKnife'

I have considering something similar as we have access to an area used for real steel shooting, clay pidgeon ect. Was only thinking £10 per person, for a few hours. We often have target practice sessions there, when we are skirmishing the players who have been shot can get involved instead of just sitting in the safe zone for the rest of that game (as we dont use medic rules). However i think that excluding co2 revolvers is a bad idea as they are perfect for this, dan wesson , ruger super hawk, ect .

Well at the moment i am watching a few videos, getting ideas and trying to find a start up area, get word of mouth out and see where it goes from there.

Plus i think i need to get back to have a DA/SA gun as my practice is slipping :P

'FireKnife'

Archived