A different tactical thompson idea

Horsem4n

thats ok. i dont think they will be to bothered with me defacing a toy. hell, red jacket is still here and theirs was just lazy.

PS, SMG mags dont belong in assault rifles. never liked that look.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sliding stock? Appears to be room for one. Do what you wish with the hardware in front and the pistol grip.

Doesnt have to be MP5, i dont think that would fit well, but it would be easy to add a place for 2 pipes to slide along side of the body, and have a wire stock of sorts. Thinking a mix from a grease gun and MP5.

7274512636_7a6ee7a683_z.jpg

i actually have an ebr stock for a g3. ill give it a shot, may look nice.

That's much better idea; than using CTR stock on it.

IMO with "M4 style" stocks it won't be short enough, even if fully folded. I mean it won't have any positive tactical benefit; compared to thompson's fix stock...

except for, well, a more tactically comfortable length of pull to get into the thumb over bore stance.

anyway, i have been cranking away at this thing since around 3 today and its 7:30. i have the front set and adiquite rails installed, i am going to get something to eat and im then going to finish butchuring the stock mount to fit the thompson receiver and bolt it on. post pics later.

Alright, so I have everything mounted. I still have to secure the stock mount, but its on there pretty good as it is.

IMAG0435.jpg

There was only a couple modifications to the body of the Thompson itself. I flattened the bump off the back of the upper and drilled the holes to mount the rails.

Things left to do:

Secure the stock further,

Find proper rail riser,

Fill in ugly spots around the stock work,

Paint job,

Mount some hardware,

Do some internal work,

Get the barrel threaded.

And whatever else I think of. Its a little too long though still. The LOP is as long as a full size m16 and extends to ridiculous.

And whatever else I think of. Its a little too long though still. The LOP is as long as a full size m16 and extends to ridiculous.

Yeap... terribly long(same problem at the CTR). Can it be folded more if you cut out some material between the rods(I never had an EBR, so I don't know)?

Do you need that cheek piece al all? :D Or could the cheek piece slide over the receiver?

Will be full black or tan/black?

The check piece isn't limiting the stock at all, its all the mount piece. That's as far as this stock can fit on without me removing the stock mount piece and mounting the stock directly to the reciever, which won't look white as nice IMO. I could remove more material from the mount so it fits closer. But it would take a milling machine and I wouldn't want to even begin attacking that with a dremmel. What's left is all solid aluminum, no hollow areas left.

Murdoc, I wouldn't have had the same issue with the ctr stock as I would have cut and mounted it directly to the lower receiver. Look how short the LOP is in my concept images. I may revisit the stock in the future. I plan to paint it all black once Im done.

Wow I remember seeing the Red Jacket one and didn't really like what they did, a classic gun like that should should have been left alone.

This is air soft though, it's all just metal and plastic with no real history behind it and what you've put together looks great.

It's got a nice profile and most importantly it looks like it would be fun to use, really good job I think :)

That's not half-bad.

Wouldn't think it too out-of-there as a continuous-refinement version in a world where WWII started earleir and kept going much longer.

Or as something deviced to bring more stopping power to CQB.

All of the guys at my local forum said: "That will look horrible". I'm happy that they're not right.

When I started this madness(airsoft) I didn't buy thompson because there was no chance to put optics on it(so I turned to AK). And you solved that problem too. Congrat! :yu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice project, would like to see it in all black. More pics?

It seems the stock extension makes it to long. Can you cut down the rear middle area so it retracts more and extends to the length in the shouldered pic? If you have no mill access, you could dremel to 1-2mm from final cut and file the rest down. Just did this on an m4 to AK stock mod and it is somewhat tedious but gets the job done and can be made to look clean with a good set of needle files for the last surfacing.

Archived