Woolwich

creepingfear

a lady has been sentenced for joking "people in help for heroes should be beheaded" which I thought was actually pretty funny. bit extreme and I have nothing against it but help for heroes is held in a weird esteem.

bit worried about this whole arresting people on twitter thing, or just generally the things we can't say. Like if I were to say who the people that were *fruitcage* in the recent no10 scandal thing was I could be in contempt of court and arnie would probably get in trouble too. mad innit

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A threat is different to a person standing with a weapon in their hand, trying to kill you. Hell, I've had morons in Liverpool city centre saying their going to kill me. Doesn't mean they'll try or they should be punished for saying it.

You never know if they're carrying a knife, those things are small but deadly, and very popular among the UK scum.

And yeah, I got that contradictory bigots comment. But, seeing as it was on a social media side, report them.

Didn't work, admins turned out to be as xenophobic and as retarded. So I left the site.

a lady has been sentenced for joking "people in help for heroes should be beheaded" which I thought was actually pretty funny. bit extreme and I have nothing against it but help for heroes is held in a weird esteem.

Error: funny not detected. Although I commend the legal dope-slap.

a lady has been sentenced for joking "people in help for heroes should be beheaded" which I thought was actually pretty funny.

Er... wut?  :huh:

I'm more a supporter of British Legion myself but still not seeing how joking about cutting someone's head off for supporting a charity is remotely funny.

Never knowing, is the same for everyone on the street. Unless a person attacks you, which is what I pointed out, then they can have any views they want.

The way you have to view twitter, is as if you're posting your very own paper on line. If you wouldn't publish it, for everyone to read, then don't tweet it.

I think regardless of political stripe we can all agree the world is a pretty messed up place at times.

You can make it worse or better.

Lurking on the web and encouraging that women without veils should be stoned is making it worse. Saying people in Help for Heros (or a Maggie shirt, or Livestrong or what every group bugs you) is making it worse.

Long ago it was firmly established that shouting fire in a crowded theater isn't a joke. Even if you think it's funny to see people stampede like sheep from false information it's not a joke.

I'm sure I'm much more cynical than the next person but unless you're running at a bus with a bomb vest I'm always going to have a hard time condemning people to death for fashion choices.

So you call me a Daily mail reading fascist for supporting stronger police responses to rioting thugs, but it's perfectly ok for you to joke about horrifically murdering someone just for supporting a charity you don't like...

Nice to see the left wing's moral compass is as *fruitcage*ed as always.

Yeah that's pretty sick. Because it doesn't just off people who refer to soldiers as 'our boys' it ###### off most people.

Do I believe there should be a law against saying things that upset people? No. Do I believe if you say things like that, you have to be prepared that someone who is a soldier may overhear and 'fill you in' and that you shouldn't come crying to us when they do? Yes.

People wanting to make outrageous comments have to be prepared for outrageous responses.

No one should ever be beaten up for what they say. That's a bully type mentality, better to rise above it and leave them to it. Be the better man and all that. I'm happy that I'm able to keep my temper in place, as I've gotten older and seen the error of my ways.

Let me be perfectly clear, no one should be beaten up for what they say. I am not talking about what they do, that is completely different.

So you call me a Daily mail reading fascist for supporting stronger police responses to rioting thugs, but it's perfectly ok for you to joke about horrifically murdering someone just for supporting a charity you don't like...

Nice to see the left wing's moral compass is as *fruitcage*ed as always.

1) yeah I did

2) yeah thats fine a joke doesn't hurt anybody or have anyway near of the ramifications - you are making the assumption I dislike help for heroes. people take it to seriously thats all

3) I would consider myself just right of centre...

Also I hope / expect soldiers would have a better sense of humour  (or when they joke about "sick" things is it ok?) + a bit more restraint  I doubt many would do a jay & silent bob roadtrip to beat people up after reading something on the internet.

and yeah "our boys" is just awful. up there with "glasto" urgh

Well the thing about gallows humour, is that it is a psychological response to high stress situations. When people who aren't in those situations start doing it, it stops being gallows humour.

That being said, war humour seems to have its own lines that are rarely crossed. I never heard a single joke about an actual soldier who had died from another soldier.

I doubt there is anybody who has posted in this page of the thread who hasn't made a pretty offensive joke. FWIW I thought her tweet was less offensive then a guy a few weeks ago comparing "geardo" to "nigger"!

You thought that my inference that FK calling someone a Geardo and being ok with the fact he's insulting people because he has a different definition of the word, is not too different from accepting racial slurs, is more insulting than someone who said that people she didn't like should be beheaded?

FWIW I thought her tweet was less offensive then a guy a few weeks ago comparing "geardo" to "nigger"!

The difference being that guy wasn't actually doing anything of the kind, you just epically missed his wider, well made point about word usage in your eager stampede to set up a deckchair on the moral high ground...  let's not bring all that up again shall we?  :rolleyes:

I doubt there is anybody who has posted in this page of the thread who hasn't made a pretty offensive joke. FWIW I thought her tweet was less offensive then a guy a few weeks ago comparing "geardo" to "nigger"!

I can't recall; did that guy say all the geardo's and niggers should get their heads chopped off too?

As a far as I can tell we are all entitled to an opinion, but we need to pick the proper time to pull our pants down and show it off. Social media's reach definitely has some folks confounded as to time and place.

1. All the political debate and religious back and forth simply shrouds the horror and loss of the situation. Who cares about all of the other stuff, a man was savagely murdered in broad daylight for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

2. Murders like this (in terms of savagery) happen all the time, but we rarely hear about it. The sickening media and all those *fruitcage* wits that 'report', care nothing for the human factor. All Lee Rigby was for those guys is a carcass in the street, and a short term gold mine. Imagine what the family, and the poor mans son must be thinking, to see your son, husband, father laying in the street like that, photos barely hiding the abuse he must have suffered, and all to sell news. Not to mention how rabid those media dogs were to describe the events, as if they were recounting a scene from a pulp horror novel.

3. Now the social shock has worn off, and the story has been bled dry, what now? No media coverage, no follow up on the trial. Those *fruitcage*ers are off to hunt out the next grisly story.

I think there was a clear reason why this wasn't discussed on Arnies. What is there to say? You guys can chant all you want about society, religion and politics, but what does it matter. We will go on killing each other for the smallest, most petty of reasons, because we're a global society of cowards, who pray on the weak, and ridicule those who have less than us. I watched a 'news story' last week about the war in Syria, a whole town massacred, bodies of women and babies for *fruitcage* sake, murdered in the most brutal way....you want to debate that? Justify or condemn?

I love my son dearly, but I hate that I've brought him into this hole of a world....

Massacre, is a terrible gut rentching thing and is wrong. Bringing a child into this world is a choice and how you bring that child up, is also a choice. You could be bringing up a person, who could very well go on and stop events like this, from ever happening again. Or they could have a good life and being up children of their own. We can't predict the future but we can incourage a better future, through our children. Hope, it can be a very powerful and uplifting motive/view.

I've never bought a newspaper that has had a grotesque image, within it's pages. That's just wrong and unnecessary. All the papers with a picture of the assailant, of the Woolwich murder, within their publication (be it front page or any other page) should have been sued. They've gotten away with it, for far too long.

You thought that my inference that FK calling someone a Geardo and being ok with the fact he's insulting people because he has a different definition of the word, is not too different from accepting racial slurs, is more insulting than someone who said that people she didn't like should be beheaded?

Not your post - can't comment

The difference being that guy wasn't actually doing anything of the kind, you just epically missed his wider, well made point about word usage in your eager stampede to set up a deckchair on the moral high ground...  let's not bring all that up again shall we?  :rolleyes:

yeah lets bring this up - this is what he said;

"This is exactly the sort of justification that rednecks in Tennessee used all the time for referring to people as N****rs. Using a term that is not focused on the actual problem just propagates hate and anger. A jerk is a jerk is a jerk.. "

To say that "geardo" is in any meaningful way is comparable to nigger is completely ridiculous. Nigger has massive historical, cultural and racial overtones. "Geardo" does not. His had nothing to do with "word usage"  - only  pejoratives in  general-  and then tosses in the word redneck, which was a bit of an own goal.

As for "jerk is jerk is jerk" I would say that I (as would most of you...) regard someone that called someone a nigger as a term of abuse a bit more of a jerk then if he used geardo...

What this lady said is no worse then Clarkson saying that public sector workers should be shot in front of their families. I was watching when it happened (one show) and my mother is a public sector worker - I got on with my life. I did not take to twitter or facebook, or roll in a ball saying HOW COULD HE SAY SOMETHING SO AWFUL ABOUT A GROUP I PARTICULARLY RESPECT!...I find it unlikely that both she and Clarkson literally meant what they said, however only one of them has had a run in with the authorities. 

FWIW I never called you a "daily mail reading fascist  - I did remark that the comments were like the daily mail website (which to be fair they were) but that wasn't directed at you specifically. You get pretty flustered at some of the stuff I write, have made incorrect assumptions about my politics , and yet (skimming over the previous threads I've posted in) fail to address any points I might make - with the exception of the bit about violent crime figures...  I'm not trying to troll but if people are posting about how the police should "slap them up a bit" then that is something I will disagree with and post about on the internet - if we all agreed it would be boring...

What this lady said is no worse then Clarkson saying that public sector workers should be shot in front of their families. I was watching when it happened (one show) and my mother is a public sector worker - I got on with my life. I did not take to twitter or facebook, or roll in a ball saying HOW COULD HE SAY SOMETHING SO AWFUL ABOUT A GROUP I PARTICULARLY RESPECT!...I find it unlikely that both she and Clarkson literally meant what they said, however only one of them has had a run in with the authorities. 

Did Clarkson say that right after a public sector worker had been shot in front of their family?

No?

Not the same then I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

No not the same, just very very similar  :rolleyes:

Are we to say that something is offensive (and that the law should be involved) only if it references something that actually happened,  or happened recently?

seems a bit like picking hairs

Archived