United States Army to go full Crye

Jagdraben

In case anyone doesn't know and presuming this hasn't been posted elsewhere:

Link.

The United States Army has finally announced a winner to their obscenely long and drawn out search for a camouflage to replace the debacle that is UCP and the winner is... Crye.

The Army is supposed to be adopting three versions: A woodland version, a desert version, and a transitional version. I suspect that the transitional version will be similar to the standard Multicam we've all come to know and love (and has been issued by the US Army for use in Afghanistan for years). Transitional is supposed to be used for garrison uniforms and, I suspect, for items like plate carriers, LBE, packs, &c.

So it only took the Army, what, ten years to figure out what they already knew back when they adopted UCP and actually correct their mistake. Better a decade late than never, right?

The United States Army has finally announced a winner to their obscenely long and drawn out search for a camouflage to replace the debacle that is UCP and the winner is... Crye.

Clearly olive drab was a better choice, but no one wanted to produce it...

This day in age, you just have to shake your head at the amount of time spent on making patterns when simple solid colors have enough of a history to be a battle-proven concept.

Clearly olive drab was a better choice, but no one wanted to produce it...

This day in age, you just have to shake your head at the amount of time spent on making patterns when simple solid colors have enough of a history to be a battle-proven concept.

Camouflage works better.

The only reason it took us so long was that we weren't making a science of it until recently. And prior to that wearing camouflage was a good way to get shot as it was something mostly only our enemies did.

The Israelis wear OD, but I suspect that given their primary battlefield is urban, where camouflage really doesn't work very well, they are more concerned about positively ID'ing friend from foe and preventing blue-on-blue.

acu/arpat was a disaster - what on earth were they thinking!? Somebody needs to give that a real good look over

Would like to see the new patterns as whilst I think multicam is a very good camoflague it still depends on the environment and I don't think it was quite "multi" enough to be suitable for woodland.

side thought: Camo patterns tend to have pretty good staying power compared to other military innovations. I wonder if this will be the last conventional camouflage before stuff like active camo and things get going. I think the first camo patterns were used on warships - which seem likely candidates for cloaking or something

Hyperstealth is supposed to have something that makes the person wearing it effectively invisible. But they won't let people see it for fear of giving the bad guys ideas. Which tells me that it's probably somewhat simpler and less spectacular than it might sound like.

Anyway. I've not seen the new patterns from Crye, but I understand the transitional pattern is supposed to be very similar to MultiCam. And I think - but am not certain - that I have seen the new arid/desert pattern: Think MultiCam pattern with DDPM colors.

Where the hell did you come from Jagd?

Welcome back.

What? I'm not back. I'm only in your head.

I appreciate the thought, though.

^_^

Or I would. If this were real.

;) 

That article didnt say anything about Crye's multicam winning?? If you read it it says Crye is part of the finalist, and new camo is like MC. Theres actually a family of camo being introduced. One for every enviroment.

Nobody else said that MultiCam won, either.

I think the problem with that one there is everyone sees Crye and immediately assumes Multicam, because it's their most famous product!

From what I understand, the transitional pattern will be similar to Multicam.

Which might just mean that it has some sort of better NIR properties than "old" Multicam.

Just wish they'd bloody hurry up and make the announcement so I can figure out if I want to buy some of whatever it is.  And if I do, whether I just want the apparel or full-on LBE + pouches.

At least one of the three's bound to look decent, I'm sure and every nylon kit manufacturer in the US is going to start pumping out gear in all of the patterns as soon as they're physically able.

It's the Army. They love the hurry up and wait game.

They've only known which one was the winner for nearly a year, now. And they were supposed to announce the winner back in June on the Army's birthday. So who knows. Last I heard, the official announcement is supposed to be sometime in October.

Personally, I intend to stick with CB. Works with MARPAT, Crye, Kryptek, and civvies. And pretty much everything else, too.

Now are the other branches of the forces going to get the same camo pattern or will they insist on carrying on the practice of insisting on having their own patterns?

As a side note the old dazzle patterns on warships wasn't done to hide the ship but to make it harder to work out speed and direction of travel when viewed through a sub periscope

HMS_Argus_%281917%29_cropped.jpg

HMS Argus in dazzle pattern 1918

Now are the other branches of the forces going to get the same camo pattern or will they insist on carrying on the practice of insisting on having their own patterns?

As a side note the old dazzle patterns on warships wasn't done to hide the ship but to make it harder to work out speed and direction of travel when viewed through a sub periscope

HMS_Argus_%281917%29_cropped.jpg

HMS Argus in dazzle pattern 1918

Congress has mandated that the services standardize their patterns by 2018, IIRC.

Can't see any ship there. Just a zebra.

What? No. Zebras don't swim....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived