Sentence for execution due to being a Christian

Habakure

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also resent the Chancel repair liability that I may be expected to pay as a home owner within a boundary of a church. It is UK law that a parish with a church site before 1536 can demand I contribute to repair bills to the church. In recent years, people have been right royally bummed by this law, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I never had to stump up cash to pay for the local mosque repairs when in a Muslim country.

I also resent the Chancel repair liability that I may be expected to pay as a home owner within a boundary of a church. It is UK law that a parish with a church site before 1536 can demand I contribute to repair bills to the church. In recent years, people have been right royally bummed by this law, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I never had to stump up cash to pay for the local mosque repairs when in a Muslim country.

aye its a *fruitcage* joke.

Tithe still exists - just the local authority takes your money in council tax then redistributes to mosques, churches etc

I can only really echo what people have said here, all religion is bad religion. If you need to believe in an invisible sky god in order for your life to make sense this is NOT okay, and you should seek psychiatric help.

Especially if your god has done any of the following:

Had non-consensual sex with virgins

Destroyed a city because he was afraid of a building that challenged his power.

Killed a mans entire family, burned down his house and destroyed his crops and cattle to see if he would stay loyal.

Destroyed countless cities on a whim, often in incalculably cruel and bizzare ways.

Endorsed a group of peoples campaign of ethno-religious genocide against their neighbours the Philistines/Egyptians/any other *fruitcage*.

Allowed his only son to be brutally tortured and murdered when he could have intervened at literally any point.

Decided to murder everyone in the world because they had displeased him, bar one family.

Killed 1/3 of his Angels and cast the remainder out of heaven for questioning his authority.

Plans to murder everyone in the world a second time for following the anti-christ, who he could stop at literally any time.

Because the way I see it, is god does not exist. But on the remote chance he does, then we need to unite and invade heaven as soon as possible.

Yeah.  No chance the TV series will do the comic justice.  They'll have to cut out so much stuff. Stuff that wouldn't even fly on HBO.  One of my favourite comics so they had better do a decent job. 

I can't help but feel it will only be Preacher in name, somewhat like TWD.

I can only really echo what people have said here, all religion is bad religion. If you need to believe in an invisible sky god in order for your life to make sense this is NOT okay, and you should seek psychiatric help.

Especially if your god has done any of the following:

Had non-consensual sex with virgins

Destroyed a city because he was afraid of a building that challenged his power.

Killed a mans entire family, burned down his house and destroyed his crops and cattle to see if he would stay loyal.

Destroyed countless cities on a whim, often in incalculably cruel and bizzare ways.

Endorsed a group of peoples campaign of ethno-religious genocide against their neighbours the Philistines/Egyptians/any other *fruitcage*.

Allowed his only son to be brutally tortured and murdered when he could have intervened at literally any point.

Decided to murder everyone in the world because they had displeased him, bar one family.

Killed 1/3 of his Angels and cast the remainder out of heaven for questioning his authority.

Plans to murder everyone in the world a second time for following the anti-christ, who he could stop at literally any time.

Because the way I see it, is god does not exist. But on the remote chance he does, then we need to unite and invade heaven as soon as possible.

Yikes, you clearly hate Christianity.

I would like to point out that your worldview is still rather ignorant and bigoted. It is true that organized religion, in this case Christianity, has been used to justify many horrible atrocities, including genocide. However, you fail to account for the numerous humanitarian acts that have also occurred under that same religion, or religion in general. Many humanitarian organizations and deeds have occurred because of the moral beliefs held by religious groups such as Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc. Just because some sects of a religion commit atrocities does not mean the entire religious organization is at fault.

If I were to follow your train of logic, I could make a similar, though extremely unfair, uneducated, and misguided, claim that atheists deserve psychiatric help. Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin, and Pol Pot were all notable atheists who were responsible for the mass murder or genocide of millions. This is clearly a horrible line of logic. Those three individuals are not representative of the atheistic community as a whole and most atheists would condemn the actions of those three individuals. The same applies to religious individuals. Many Muslims condemn the actions of Islamic extremists, despite the Quran making some alarming statements regarding treatment of non-Muslim individuals. Almost all modern Christians would condemn the Crusades and other similar actions committed under the name of Christianity.

Considering a large majority of the world's population is religious, it would be in the best interest of all humans to learn tolerance and patience. Both the religious and non-religious (technically, atheism as a philosophical worldview is a religion since it fulfills all the requirements needed to call a religion, a religion) should learn to respect each other's beliefs. Any individual or group who thinks of themselves as superior to others because of a philosophical belief runs into the danger of committing moral atrocities. Slavery and genocide are typically the extreme end results of such elitist thinking.

The above posts are two of the most brilliant things i have read on this subject.

However none the less religion is a way to control people, would all of the humanitarian things have happend without religion? Probably but who knows.

On the same point the Vatican and other religious organisations all have billions of dollars between them and pay tax on none of it. When that cash could be used to solve some of the worlds issues, if not at least improve.

I mean until now the pope has lived in what is essentially a religious buckingham palace compelete with staff.

I also dont see myself as an athiest, just an unneed label. More someone who doesnt believe in nonsense (both religious and non), magic or having my life planned out for me. I believe in science, education and just generally being a good person.

On my phone, my spelling will suck.

Yikes, you clearly hate Christianity.

I would like to point out that your worldview is still rather ignorant and bigoted. It is true that organized religion, in this case Christianity, has been used to justify many horrible atrocities, including genocide. However, you fail to account for the numerous humanitarian acts that have also occurred under that same religion, or religion in general. Many humanitarian organizations and deeds have occurred because of the moral beliefs held by religious groups such as Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc. Just because some sects of a religion commit atrocities does not mean the entire religious organization is at fault.

That list of things wasn't what the followers have done, but what was written in the bible as God having done. Or at least that is how I read it when he typed it.

Considering a large majority of the world's population is religious, it would be in the best interest of all humans to learn tolerance and patience. Both the religious and non-religious (technically, atheism as a philosophical worldview is a religion since it fulfills all the requirements needed to call a religion, a religion) should learn to respect each other's beliefs. Any individual or group who thinks of themselves as superior to others because of a philosophical belief runs into the danger of committing moral atrocities. Slavery and genocide are typically the extreme end results of such elitist thinking.

This is hilariously wrong... have you ever used the phrase "militant atheist" by any chance?? 

Extremist views appear in all walks of life, regardless of religion, nationality or heritage. It is sadly human nature to impose ones will and beliefs on another - a combination of psychological effects can be experienced and a movement is started.

Religion or the lack of religion is not going to go away, as it is ingrained in society.

Athiesm is not a religion in any meaningful sense...  In 3 years of a philosophy degree I never heard once atheism being referred to as a religion. I've only ever heard it on the internet with little explanation offered. You can be religious and an atheist but atheism itself is not a religion... 

Yes.

Militant Muslim: detonating suicide vest in a casbah

Militant Christian: shooting abortion doctors

Militant Atheist: A university professor saying silly things on twitter

Militant athiest, kidnapping, torturing, imprisoning and disapearing christians in the USSR.

Athiest government (CCP) ordering soldiers to shoot tibetan monks trying to travel a route of pilgramage they have for thousands of years.

Militant athiest, kidnapping, torturing, imprisoning and disapearing christians in the USSR.

A small group lablled themselves as such however much of killing was done in the name of the state rather then atheism itself. 

In any case the label nowadays is used to describe aggressive atheists on the internet. Its telling we have to look back to the 1930s and 1940s to find an actual militant atheist! 

Atheism can be seen as a religion. It has all the hallmarks of a religion. The belief in that there is no god or higher from of being, and that all religion is magic or fairy dust (ie non-sense). You believe there is no god. That is the belief system of an atheist.

Atheism can be seen as a religion. It has all the hallmarks of a religion. The belief in that there is no god or higher from of being, and that all religion is magic or fairy dust (ie non-sense). You believe there is no god. That is the belief system of an atheist.

On that basis anyone conscious would be religious... which is nonsense! Religion is a belief system, a belief system is not a religion.

edit: likewise, theism is not a religion. Theists are more likely to be religious, atheists are more likely to be irreligious. that's about it really.  

Archived