The Green party and airsoft

Cannonfodder80

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could potentially be used in armed robberies, muggings etc. People could take hostages and wave those guns around, instantly raising the stakes.

The trouble with that argument is that anyone committing such acts is hardly going to be thinking they had better not get a real gun as they're illegal, they will just get a real gun. Making something illegal only affects law abiding citizens

I don't want to start an argument about American gun control or anything

Real guns have the capacity to EASILY kill or cripple. Having those in your home is a bad idea.

Just a genuine suggestion, but if you don't want to start an argument on something... don't start posting up points for one side of an argument about something.  It's hard enough as it is to keep any thread regards the legality of RIFs on track as it is, let alone when you bring in something as massively divisive and emotionally charged as actual guns.

Saying RIFs could be used in robberies etc is quite true but as has been well established, (bearing in mind that a RIF means anything that looks even sort of half vaguely like a gun) breaking the law against manufacturing them is so easily a child could literally do it.  With a couple of pennies worth of materials.  In so many infinite different ways it boggles the mind.  The way so many people worry about our expensive bb propulsion toys is truly absurd when you actually take everything in to account.

I think you're also rather off track with the play the hero thing.  That might well be why some people get in to it initially, but if you've been to a skirmish I think you'll be aware of the fact that's far from the reality of this game we play.  There's very few hollywood explosions or attractive women to rescue or displays from the red arrows zooming over to celebrate our victories at the end of a day.  Mostly just a bunch of skinny/fat/pale white, nerdy, kids and old men who like to play the closest thing to real life Call of Duty that's available and probably don't like various aspects of paintball.  The only people on the field with delusions of being Rambo are probably the *Ubarflock* who're cheating, throwing about an unpleasant attitude and ruining everybody else's day.  I airsoft for various reasons which would take too long to type out here, but none of which involve action movie fantasies and I would bet you a fairly large sum of money that the vast majority of people who've ever been to a skirmish are in the same sort of boat.  Big society views toy guns and 'playing soldier' as kids' stuff, but the reality is the people who're that judgmental about things are generally the sort who only put on an act of being mature, rather than having the thick skin required to say "*fruitcage* it, I'll do what I like with my free time and money".

The trouble with that argument is that anyone committing such acts is hardly going to be thinking they had better not get a real gun as they're illegal, they will just get a real gun. Making something illegal only affects law abiding citizens

True, however I mentioned it because I reckon that'd be the first argument they make in defence of their policy.

If their logic is that banning imitation firearms will reduce crime then they're wrong, you're absolutely right. If someone is willing to commit a crime as serious as robbery then they're going to find SOMETHING to use.

Of course banning them will have a negligible impact on serious crime, but if they did ban them then where will it end? Ban all wood in case someone carves a gun out of it and sprays it black? Ban all bananas in case someone sticks one in their pocket and pretends it's a gun? Ban pockets?

I think we should just ban people! I've never heard of an otter sticking up a bank. Though I did see a pigeon swagger out of one once, looked very pleased with himself.

EDIT Just read your post CKinnerly, good points!

As a newcomer maybe I have a different perspective.

I've never understood why some people want real guns. 

Because killing a wild animal, skinning and cooking it is a) made easier using firearms and b.) satisfying, as putting food on the table yourself is superior to some poor battery farmed  horse from tescos

Because killing a wild animal, skinning and cooking it is a) made easier using firearms and b.) satisfying, as putting food on the table yourself is superior to some poor battery farmed  horse from tescos

Ok but surely you can understand that people are going to see the argument of ease and satisfaction as fairly weak in the face of the arguments against it they're going to be putting?

Ok but surely you can understand that people are going to see the argument of ease and satisfaction as fairly weak in the face of the arguments against it they're going to be putting?

CK's right, this isnt a Gun Debate  thread. My apologies. I disagree with you and the anti-gun lobby in the UK for a number of reasons, but i wont elaborate.

The Greens are as much a bunch of loonies as UKIP: in both cases, their manifestos and other policy statements don't stand up to scrutiny. The Greens may come from a (much) better place that Farage and his rehash of the BNP (Loved this weeks "the problem with sustainable energy is what happens when it runs out" quote) but they're just as politically immature.

Like I said before, the issue with single-topic parties is that they agree on ONE topic, and then either tear their party into small pieces over the other topics, or just sign away their right to think and blindly follow the opinion of the party lead/whip, and agree to the most idiotic policies that they wouldn't agree with if it was anyone else but the <strikethrough>charismatic cult leader</strikethrough>party leader.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had an exchange of tweets with my local Green candidate.

Pretty much replied as others have stated above: more against replicas/deact's being "converted" than airsoft, it seems...

Invited me to join and bring policy change to the table.

Perhaps we need to form a Green Airsofters group within the party.

Just had an exchange of tweets with my local Green candidate.

Pretty much replied as others have stated above: more against replicas/deact's being "converted" than airsoft, it seems...

Invited me to join and bring policy change to the table.

Perhaps we need to form a Green Airsofters group within the party.

Well that's easy.  Just let them know anything convertible is already illegal...

Perhaps tweet/whatever at them with links to the bans at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/.

Very simple, very direct.

And if you get the chance, get them to remove the silly "lethally barreled" definition. It's *suitcasey*, incomplete law work that opens up for bad police work too.

In Denmark we have zero limits on muzzle energy by law (so far; 5J blanket will perhaps be implemented). It works very well.

Any sort of limit on muzzle energy should be stated with actual energy, that's the minimum compromise.

Airguns can be bought relatively freely (in UK), and they shoot vastly harder.

Archived