WE P90 GBB

renegadecow

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. At least someone's making a metal upper of some sort. Now I just hope they make a steel hopup unit for this in conjunction with their steel bolt stop as well. Mine's not holding up too well already after I switched my bolt stop to pot metal. Seriously a bit disappointed that after 5 years it's come out with issues that should've been apparent after just a couple of mags of testing.

Am I alone in preferring the TR upper?

On the bolt lock is there space to put a small but tough rubber pad on the 'bolt carrier' section that contacts the bolt stop? So we can get the best of both worlds, tough bolt stop, but enough padding to stop it damaging anything else? A bushing as RC says? I don't know if there would be a glue in the world strong enough to bond a couple of MM of tough rubber to replace the tip of the bolt stop...

So according to RATechs Facebook they are doing a metal upper for the P90.

However, for some reason, they are doing the TR version not the RD.

What the hell RATech!

Why is it really so suprising? The TR upper could be made entirely in-house by a machine/die casting shop whereas for the RD they'd have to go out and find someone who can make the red dot assembly for it which adds time, cost and potentially a minimum order quantity too high to be worth it.

If I were RA Tech I'd be doing exactly the same, the WE P90 could dissappear off the market at any point if it's not licenced so I wouldn't be investing too much into making parts for a potentially short lived low volume GBBr, I also don't like subcontracting bits of production out, that alone brings a load of issues with it in my experience, in-house ftw!

I never pictured anyone making the RD would make it with the red dot... but just the housing. As much as I'm a fan of RA-Tech, I think it's for the best that they are only making a metal TR version, because they aren't the best when it comes to attention to detail, and I don't have a huge amount of faith that the RD housing they make would be be done carefully enough that it can take real steel sights / adaptors in a drop-in manner. 

The hop/bolt stop issue really that bad? Hopefully someone makes one sooner rather than later. I may well follow RC and do a polycarb one.

Surprising because of the high level of want for the RD upper, to the point that people are buying and modding the AEG one to fit. I for one won't be buying it, safe to say I am not alone in that. Never for a second did I expect RA to make the optic, considering they do not make optics now, just the upper itself. My GB-Tech upper did not come with an optic. So they could have made the RD upper in house with the same ease of the TR.

I'm not convinced about the licensing issues considering the TM, CA, G&G, KA, ACM are all still on the market with no issues, all them unlicensed bar one.

Am I alone in preferring the TR upper?

On the bolt lock is there space to put a small but tough rubber pad on the 'bolt carrier' section that contacts the bolt stop? So we can get the best of both worlds, tough bolt stop, but enough padding to stop it damaging anything else? A bushing as RC says? I don't know if there would be a glue in the world strong enough to bond a couple of MM of tough rubber to replace the tip of the bolt stop...

There is a brand called weld on, they make a glue for everything.

I found this glue once called stix on contact, literally glues anything to anything and is extremely hard to UN glue it.

Surprising because of the high level of want for the RD upper, to the point that people are buying and modding the AEG one to fit. I for one won't be buying it, safe to say I am not alone in that. Never for a second did I expect RA to make the optic, considering they do not make optics now, just the upper itself. My GB-Tech upper did not come with an optic. So they could have made the RD upper in house with the same ease of the TR.

I don't think the GB Tech upper is a good comparison, that was made for a P90 that already came with the optic, therefor the end user would already have it and wouldn't have to try and source one seperately, if WE were making a P90 RDS with a plastic upper then I think you'd definately see the likes of RA Tech doing the same as GB Tech did.

Just make a metal upper that can take the Marui red dot then? That way there are already products that will fit it. So WE spec upper but the mount would be marui spec.

Will do about the parts bankz, I'll send them an email and let you know. Actually, could some kind soul tell me the part number of the bolt stop as my P90 didn't come with an instruction leaflet (oooooopppps).

Okay my full bolt stop story up until now:

a460rb.jpg

In this pic I show a new one I made since the other one I made looked so rough. The 2 areas that I circled makes contact when the mechanism is activated to prevent the bolt stop from over-rotating. Works the same way on the plastic except the plastic gave out before the metal did.

eikp04.jpg

This pic shows the aftermath of using the metal bolt stop replicated to the shape of the original as well as my solution. The part of the hopup unit that stops over rotation broke off completely. I improvised with a piece of plastic and made a new bolt stop with modified shape. No more forced over-rotation. Seriously I thought up this solution in like 5 minutes. They had 5 freaking YEARS!

On the subject of the upper receiver, the two side rails are both attached by a single screw and keyed into the upper by pegs through holes unlike real steel. Not secure enough to hold zero with a laser. Hope ra-tech redesigns this. Also really hope they don't make us reuse the charging plate. There's no way to get that off the upper without some major flexage.

The problem isn't so much the strength of the part. It's just inherent in the design. The force of the bolt slamming back is delivered above the axis of rotation. If the bolt stop doesn't break it'll be the part that that indexes the rotation of the part which in the original design would be the part of the hopup unit that broke off in my picture. Since this broke I delegated this job to the bolt stop bearing surface itself by adding a shelf to it.

Oh, just so people know, they didn't have 5 years. To perfect, the original they made was pretty close to what we got.

So, any one wanna brake open the parts menu and tell me what the part number is for the bolt stop is? Just wanna be sure before I email KIC for a price.

Received mine today, yeah I see how *suitcasey* and flimsy the bolt stop part is.

One thing I'm concerned in installing any steel one is that it might start to eat into the bolt itself, so I might just buy *suitcase* ton of spare plastic ones when they are available.

Having said all this, I'm really enjoying shooting this thing, and it's damn impressive how well it works even with duster gas at 20 degrees C

Received mine today, yeah I see how *suitcasey* and flimsy the bolt stop part is.

One thing I'm concerned in installing any steel one is that it might start to eat into the bolt itself, so I might just buy *suitcase* ton of spare plastic ones when they are available.

Having said all this, I'm really enjoying shooting this thing, and it's damn impressive how well it works even with duster gas at 20 degrees C

I wouldn't worry about it eating into the bolt as there's a lot of material to eat into. What you should be worried about is the shelf on the hop unit that houses the spring for this part. This is supposed to be the part that prevents the bolt stop arm from yanked any higher than it's supposed to and THAT has hardly any material to support that kind of force if the bolt stop doesn't flex/break first.

Archived