This is why you should safety check your airsoft guns :o

NonEx

Another option would be the magizine tabs Tokyo Marui suppies with many of their gbb pistols. They allow the pistol to function yet I dont believe a bb will fire even if one or two have somehow made their way into the magazine above the tab.

Just tried it with 2 bb's above the tab and they dont sit up high enough to chamber and with 3, you should be able to notice that the tab is not in the magazine correctly. This was in a TM MEU magazine.

I have these in most of the pistols I have stored with a magazine inserted. They seem to work in most other brands of pistols as well. I have used them in my PPQ, P09 Duty, KJW Cz75 and 1911's, P226 and P229. They also help allow you to shoot out most of the remaining gas in your pistol when your through using them in the field or at the range.

Would be helpful to be able to get them molded in red or blaze orange as well as black.

Still the best safety features are your brain and paying attention. You've learned a valuable lesson and you seem to be the type to take this as a learning experience. Takes guts to admit an error in judgement. You've got my respect. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should've clarified, I tend to release my bolt gently onto the flag to keep it in place (if I decide to leave the bolt in with the rifle) or leave the bolt completely out my rifles (I know how unrealible the WE Bolt release paddles are!)

The flag itself is same diameter and material as a cleaning rod, so it doesn't actually touch the hop rubber (goes beyond it and rests in the barrel) but noted re: potential damage to the hop rubber - I shall keep that in mind.

Non-ex, what was you trying to say in your posts/ threads? A public service announcement telling people not to be negligent around their toys before they take their eyes out?

You must've knew you were going to get some flak for admitting to being negligent in a public forum!

I believe NonEx did do wrong and he put a hole in his blind for the trouble, none of us are above making mistakes but the most important thing is to learn, not only from your own, but from others mistakes and that is what NonEx is trying to do share his experience so no one else does the same thing. As for playing with your guns in the house are you guys saying you've never got your toys out to play with in the house, even when watching Black hawk Down/Zero Dark Thirty/strike back etc well you've all got more will power than I :P

While NonEx has made a mistake, it looks like he's learnt from it (and as mentioned above respect is due for admitting to it). However it's not the dumbest thing done or suggested by airsofters. Just look on the various Facebook airsoft groups for some proper pants on head stupidity

I'd also like to clarify that shooting at the blind was a conscious decision as it was to be considered disposable if it were indeed damaged/destroyed. I would NEVER have fired at for example my TV, or monitor, or my face, or something like that.

So, having that in mind, you could say it was still, I guess, relatively safe gun handling. As you are supposed to be able to break one (or is it two?) of the main rules of handling guns and still be "safe".

I was a bit surprised that the BB blew right through the blind though as they are pretty heavy duty polyvinyl material.

As for the window, it's ISO certified Swedish standard triple plate glass windows. I'd imagine you would have to fire a steel pellet from a CO2 gun to break those :P

Not trying to cover up my own *albatross* here after the fact. But you guys make it seem like I am all kinds of crazy with no respect for my airsoft guns nor safety. And that is not the case. If you have seen any of my recent YouTube videos you should know I normally check them to some extent (will be more thorough from now on.)

It's not like I shot out someones eye, or destroyed a priceless painting on my wall...

Also, as for having my guns out and playing with them regularly (making it seem like I am careless with that), I ALWAYS, at a minimum, drop the magazines and check for gas before I do anything else! If there is no gas, nothing will happen. But an additional full check would appear to be a good practise, regardless of scenario and intended use of the gun.

So this was kind of a outside of my SOP in terms for playing with the guns, and that's when things go wrong.

How many of you clear your chambers/barrels physically with a cleaning rod at every inspection, which should be every time you pick up an airsoft gun from the looks of it.? :o

Every time I pick up one of my guns, I drop the mag, check the chamber, if its loaded I push the bb out.

While all my airsoft guns sit on my wall in my house its not 100% secure. There are 4 other people in my house and the likelyhood of any of them touching one is 0.000001% its not the point, still a chance they could. Equally I have people over a lot who like to have a play with them etc... before they do I always take the mag to make sure nothing can happen. 

Though this is all drilled in to me because of RS shooting.

However, it doesn't immediately guarantee that having experience with real stuff makes one more cautious. I've had several of my real steel buddies do negligent discharges with airsoft, some of them even nearly taking my eye out. The worst attitude would be to shrug off such incidents with a laugh and say "it was just a toy".

How do you check the chamber?

Pistol - Rack the slide, visually check.

Rifles - Lock the bolt to the rear, visually check. 

Shotgun - Don't have one anymore but when I did I cocked it then fired into a bag twice to make sure. 

However, it doesn't immediately guarantee that having experience with real stuff makes one more cautious. I've had several of my real steel buddies do negligent discharges with airsoft, some of them even nearly taking my eye out. The worst attitude would be to shrug off such incidents with a laugh and say "it was just a toy".

This is all too true, though my experience came with airsoft first then RS. So safe with both :) 

I would say on airsoft that visual chamber inspection is insufficient as on many models you can't see far enough into the chamber.

And a BB could be sitting just at the far edge of the hop rubber making it impossible to spot. 

You could also have a BB lodged further down the barrel too.

The only way would by a physical probe, like a cleaning rod, all the way through.

Hehe. And you are saying I am not handling my airsoft guns safely ? :o

Especially as an RS shooter, looking down the barrel is a bad habit to have.

And I don't always have light to look for when playing wiz mah pew pews at night :P 

Cause I'm gangsta like that. :D 

I know I probably shouldn't be stirring up this thread again but I found this quiet amusing (comments on one of my Project RS Case videos where I safety check a Glock).

And the latest comment came in just 5 minutes ago or something so. It felt sort of relevant. 

airsoft_check_defender.png

Please note my response was about as sarcastic as can be, I couldn't be bothered to give a real response.

Not sure if LongBig Johnson (uhhh :o ) is someone from here or not, but he seems to get it. :D

Archived