This is why you should safety check your airsoft guns :o

NonEx

So, I was home at lunch today and figured I would have some fun with a few of my guns, pop off a few dry firing shots (ie. gas but no BBs).

Did the MP9, Glock 19, FNX, WE AK 74 and then went on to the MP5. 

Checked my magazine to make sure there were no BBs. Filled up the gas, set the mag to dry firing mode, took aim (at my IKEA dropdown window blind) and fired.

I could hear something wasn't right. Looked up, and whaddaya know...

nx_we_mp5_pew_oops.JPG

So, there was a BB in the chamber it would seem :D

Could have fired at much worse spots so that's always good.

But yeah, lesson hopefully learned.

General gun safety rules to be followed

• Handle all airsoft guns as if they are loaded
  • Always point the airsoft gun in a relatively safe direction
  • Do not aim the airsoft gun at anything you are not willing to destroy/damage
  • Never place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire
  • Be aware of your intended targets foreground and background

How to safety check/clear your GBB/GBBR

• Remove the source of ammunition and propellant (magazine normally)
  • Visually and physically inspect the magazine for BBs
  • If BBs are present, remove them, repeat inspection step above
  • Press on the magazine main release valve to check for gas
  • If gas is present, vent it however you please. (I just dump it by depressing the valve), repeat inspection step above
  • Rack the slide and lock it to the rear (GBB) or rack the bolt and lock it to the rear (GBBR)
  • Attempt to visually inspect the airsoft guns chamber for BBs (not always possible on all models)
  • Clear the chamber of the airsoft gun with a cleaning rod or similar object, preferably from rear to front
  • Release the slide/bolt forward
  • Dry fire the airsoft gun in a relatively safe direction
  • Insert the magazine
  • Rack the slide/bolt again
  • Dry fire the airsoft gun in a relatively safe direction again to verify it is indeed empty

Now you can go ahead and do whatever you wanna do, ie. fill up gas and dry fire and whatever :D

Happy shooting folks! :P

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just trying to share some info and learning from my mistake, and hoping others can learn from mine and not their own.

I know it's stupid but what evers.

Haters gonna hate. I bet you many wouldn't even post about doing something like this :P

*suitcase* happens.

Oh and you'd be surprised at how many comments I get on my YouTube videos where I actually check the guns first. So obviously not everyone thinks it's a good idea.

Why vent the gas? Mags should be kept pressurised!

Since shooting a lot with my RS shotgun and doing a safety course, I do now treat all my airsoft guns as RS. Which admittedly you should anyway but I never bothered. Now its check safe, drop the mag, check for rounds, drop hammer in a safe direction, have a play lol  

Hehe :D

Good tip on returning the gas renegadecow!

I keep my mags empty because I play with my guns a lot in the appartment and don't want them going boom in the middle of the night :P

For now I will just tape up the backside of the blind to cover it up haha.

Every time you look at or use that blind, you'll see it. You'll be constantly aware it's there.  Cleaning your teeth, having lunch, you'll picture it.  Burned into your eyelids when you close your eyes.  Taunting you.  That little spot mark.

I give it a week before you can't take it anymore ha ha.

Hehe :D

Good tip on returning the gas renegadecow!

I keep my mags empty because I play with my guns a lot in the appartment and don't want them going boom in the middle of the night :P

For now I will just tape up the backside of the blind to cover it up haha.

How would they go off in the middle of the night? 

Just seems pointless to risk leaking mags for something so frivolous 

Unless you only put your heating on at night or sleep during the day and leave them in direct sunlight then the time they're least likely to explode is at night.

Mags should be stored with some gas in them and in a cool place out of direct sunlight, do that and the o-rings will generally be trouble free for much longer, dumping gas is huge waste and bad practice. Given my job I have loads of mags purely in storage and filled with gas to test replacement o-rings, some sat for periods of 18 months or more without being touched and so far no explosions, no leaking mags.

No dummies.

I "play" with my guns A LOT in my apartment, AT NIGHT, i.e. racking them, aiming them, dry firing them (in the true sense of the word). So I don't leave them with gas in them to make sure it doesn't accidentally go *boom* (as in noise) in the middle of the night when I dry fire them, disturbing my neighbors, and scaring the *suitcase* out of myself :P

I replace all my o-rings with factory new Nitrile ones and never had any issues with mags leaking due to not having gas in them, thus far. If they would, I just replace the o-rings anyways. I also lube them generously when replacing the o-rings.

Never had any magazines explode on me.

I know venting the gas from the valve is the worst thing you can do, but again as per above, never seen any long term damage from doing it. 

But I will definitely try the tip with putting it back in the can!

And you're right. I will get a new blind this weekend lol :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're dry firing without gas in the mags then isn't the easiest thing to not waste the gas by dumping it and just not put a magazine in? No magazine, no accidents, at least with GIM guns anyway.

Store mags without gas, which is bad for seals? Check.

Don't check chamber? Err, check.

Put hole in blind due to not aiming at something you were willing to destroy? Check. Unless you hated the blind...

Vent excess gas to atmosphere which is bad for seals. And atmosphere I suppose? Check.

Don't use safety precautions 'as they are only toys'? Check.

Let me know what I've missed.

My initial comment was tongue in cheek, but you must see that you aren't following advice/safe practice?

NSP NSP NSP NSP.... did I mention NSP?

Or just do what I do (on top of the NSPs, done properly) and make/use a chamber flag for when the weapon is being stored...

Solves the problem 2 folds:

1) If there are any BBs left in the chamber after shooting (and doing the NSPs) the flag will poke it through, clearing it.
2) When you next grab your rifle/ pistol you have a visual cue... so you'll know it's clear...before doing the NSPs.

Personally when I do go around blank firing the rifle inside my own flat I attach a BFA on the end of it as well...

Dumping the gas just seems like a waste to me...but on that topic:

My rifle kept venting the other day and as I was trying to diagnose it, it set off the Carbon Monoxide alarm... so if you do decide to vent gas purposefully do it outside (open windows were not enough, apparently!)

Archived