CA249, inital impressions.

Screwschom

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found some interesting info for us to discuss.

1. I finally know the problem with the batteries placement. The stock is designed to fit 9,6v batteries. Even if the measurement different between 9,6v and 8,4v batteries is just the lenght not the width, 8,4 batteries wont do. I think it's because the bulky single battery that stick in the end of the set. When I put my 9,6v it fit perfectly, and like every one said NO MOD NEEDED. Just need to fix some wire in order to put the stock butt. The problem is, is it ok to put 9,6v batteries to unupgraded stock AEG ? Isn't it be safer just to put regular 8,4 batteries ? Please advise

2. One of my friend also got his piston and gears stripped after few hundred rounds. I somehow think that maybe he does not read this m249. I turn off the hop up and have no problem with stripped gears and piston at all. Maybe it's not the GEARBOX but the feeding mechanism that stripped the gears. Comment anyone ? ;)

No the reason most Aegs like Tokyo Marui and ICS come with PLASTIC bushings, so if you put a 9.6v in them the bushings would melt. But Classic Army does BEARING gearboxes which are metal. So they are preupgraded to use 9.6v batteries.

Example, I just bought a Classic Army M15A4 Cqb/r and it uses a 3300 MAH 9.6v battery no problem.

Stripped gear is definatly the hop-up problem. I saw sign posted at my local Airsoft store talking all about the hop up problem...basically DONT adjust it too high or else its gonna strip the piston.

Other than that a 9.6v battery has no problems being used in any of the Classic Army guns. And Marui and ICS use 8.4v until you upgrade the bushings to metal, then your good.

A hop up that can be adjusted too much is better than one that does not adjust enough in my book. A hop up with a wide variety of setting for different power out puts is prime.

What happenes when the bb's jam is the nozzle gets jammed back and then one of the gears strips, usually the sector gear from what I have seen. On the 249 the piston seems to go.

Hey, has anyone had the problem of bb's collecting inside you gun, like down in the handguards and magazine well. Twice I have had problems under fire tring to get the box mag do-hickey into the mag well, but the connection was impeded by bb's floating around in the magzine well.

I have finally learned to decompress the spring tension of the box mag and then insert the do-hickey into the well.

249 Tech: If you ever take off your outter barrel and then the inner barrel comes out you will see a spring on the inner barrel keeping lateral pressure on the hop up unit so it seals with the mech box. If you loose this spring your gun will not feed. A easy replacement spring is a cut down AEG spring, it does the trick and the added tension helps IMO.

Hey, has anyone had the problem of bb's collecting inside you gun, like down in the handguards and magazine well.

Yep, I am installing a shield inside the magazine well... I did the same to the boxmag, so I can load faster from the side.

Hang on a second...

I don't know much about the CA249 gearbox but anyway...

If the hop-up was to jam full of BBs then the nozzle would jam in the rearward position.

This should mean that the tappet plate is forced into it's rearward position.

The Sector gear should be able to whizz around and round while barely touching the tappet plate as it goes wrong.

Assuming the CA249 gearbox works the same as any other AEG gearbox then BBs jamming in the hop-up should NOT cause damage to the gears.

i think the problem is caused by the tappet plate.

from what i can see happening, bbs get jammed in the hopup chamber. a bb then will seat itself right up against the nozzle. as the spring decompresses and the piston moves forward, air is pushed forward and out the nozzle. but since a bb is jammed up against the nozzle and no place to go, there might be too much air resistance/pressure for the piston to go forward completely before the next cycle. then the sector gear wont line up with the piston's gears.

Today, I finished the first woodland skirmish with mixed feelings.

On the positive side, me and my mates fired around 3000-3500 rounds from the boxmag with zero feeding probems. The ROF and the "wall of BBs" effect was excellent, the CA249 is a great (and intimidating) support weapon. Kneeling, shouldered position worked the best for me.

But here is the downside,

1. The outer barrel came loose numerous times (I gonna fix it to the receiver with a screw, who needs the quick release lever anyway)

2. Opening and closing the bipod is PITA, it requires both hands when the legs are extended, plus it scratches the boxmag (a camo cover and the installation of a real steel bipod can solve that. Getting rid of the bipod and installing a RAS w/ vertical forgrip is also considered.)

3. I have to reroute the boxmag switch to the forearm for easier access. In the heat of the battle it's hard to find the button (especially with gloves).

4. After a couple thousand BBs (I fired short burst mostly) the gun started firing from itself! It went into "autopilot mode" and sprayed BBs whenever he wanted with the safety on!! I guess this is some kinda failure with the electrical contacts, but it's an annoying one!

Any tips to solve the problem above? I don't have much experience with AEG-smithing.

(Even with these problems the CA249 is a solid keeper.)

Today, I finished the first woodland skirmish with mixed feelings.

On the positive side, me and my mates fired around 3000-3500 rounds from the boxmag with zero feeding probems. The ROF and the "wall of BBs" effect was excellent, the CA249 is a great (and intimidating) support weapon. Kneeling, shouldered position worked the best for me.

But here is the downside,

1. The outer barrel came loose numerous times (I gonna fix it to the receiver with a screw, who needs the quick release lever anyway)

2. Opening and closing the bipod is PITA, it requires both hands when the legs are extended, plus it scratches the boxmag (a camo cover and the installation of a real steel bipod can solve that. Getting rid of the bipod and installing a RAS w/ vertical forgrip is also considered.)

3. I have to reroute the boxmag switch to the forearm for easier access. In the heat of the battle it's hard to find the button (especially with gloves).

4. After a couple thousand BBs (I fired short burst mostly) the gun started firing from itself! It went into "autopilot mode" and sprayed BBs whenever he wanted with the safety on!! I guess this is some kinda failure with the electrical contacts, but it's an annoying one!

Any tips to solve the problem above? I don't have much experience with AEG-smithing.

(Even with these problems the CA249 is a solid keeper.)

check the wiring, my CA M15CQB does that at the begining. it was on of the wire went loose and shortcut the trigger wiht the metal body.

So you said that for all CLASSIC ARMY AEG it's ok to put 9,6 and for others (MARUI, ICS,etc) use 8,4.

What about the stripped gear problem ? Is it just some random malfunction or is it because the hop up system mentioned before ?

I replaced my gears with systema gears and use a deep fire piston wqith titanium teeth... Have put a few box mags thru it with no problems.. The hop up has not caused any problems with my setups....

I've decided to wait for the Classic Army CA249P to come out and pick one up from AirsoftArms over in Ohio, as I told him to egrave my name in one of the 249Paratrooper Boxes :D Just gotta get the money first but I should have it this winter.

I'm just a little nervous with all these peple saying their pistons get destroyed in like 1,000 rounds. Making me nervous to blow over $1,000 on a gun that may not work too great.

I'm just a little nervous with all these peple saying their pistons get destroyed in like 1,000 rounds. Making me nervous to blow over $1,000 on a gun that may not work too great.

Better than a gun that doesn't work at all, right? *coughTOPcough* :rolleyes:

An issue with the microswitch is that, make sure to have a barrel plug of some sort on at all times when in the safe zone. Someone can get hurt if the full auto starts going off by itself while in a safe area.

has anybody had or heard of any problems with this gun? (yes i know its still quite new)

me and my brother are 99% syre we are going to get one, but i just want any info available at the moment.

CA might have solved that problem, but the CA249 I tried out made

it very difficult to change M16/M4 magazines due to a too narrow

mag well, I guess. That might not be an issue when used with a box mag, though.

The stripping of gears/pistons happen when a BB is jammed in the hop-up chamber.

Basically, the system is so airtight that the gears grab the piston before the piston has completed the cycle. When this happens, the gears come to a point where the piston can't move further backwards, but the sector gear still has a few teeth that grabs the piston.

The result is an awfull noice, and a stripped piston if you have prometheus gears, or stripped gears if you don't :) My prometheus gears have destroyed 6 Area 1000 polycarbon pistons, and 2 systema ALU pistons, and they don't have a scratch on them. Lovely little things they are :)

It's the same problem I have had with my TOP minimi/PGC box. And the reason why I won't buy a CA 249 before I know for sure that CA has fixed the problem.

I have seen CA249's strip after 200 shots. That isn't good...

Archived