G&G UMG un-boxing and initial impressions...

staticzero

Static, would it be possible to wire a battery from a bag on the stock? I have two large batteries and would like to use those exclusively. So is there a spot in the stock where a small hole could be drilled out for the wiring?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

awsome review

i have around 400$ left over from Christmas and a bunch of jobs ive done lately, ill probably save up an extra 100$ and then buy this gun, a buncha high caps, the silencer and then what ever internals i need

--do you guys think new hop up bucking is a must?

--what kind should i buy?

i am not electricly smart so was it the battery or the motor that caused the gears to lock up.

--since id rather keep the stick battery i have, do you think that problem will be solved by buying a TM EG1000 motor?

--i know first hand what a lack of fuse can do to your motor, so did thye magiclly get rid of that problem in their gun or is looking for a place for a fuse something i should do?

great review, you convinced me to buy one

Just read something somewhere about feed issues with the UMG mags. The problem was the mag spring was to long, but his was feeding to rounds at once. Perhaps yours is not long enough.

Soemthing is deffinately wrong with this mag. i only have one hi cap, so i can't really compare it to another one. BUT i compared it to the low cap and realised that i must have a weak spring.

With a full mag, if i pushed the release button, the bb's should fly out: but they don't. If i hold the release button and jiggle the top bb i get it to move and THEN the bb's fly out. wtf. when i empty the mag i don't see the little black ball come to the top indicating that it is empty. (i don't know its technical term: its just a black circular piece of plastic that is the last thing in the clip). Is the spring weak? or might there be a bb stuck in the spring or something???? heeelllppp meeee.

Hello Static! (Nice review yet again!)

I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions? I am definitely gunna buy this gun from AEX at the San Diego store most likely tomorrow! I as wondering if they sell the Version 2 guns or just install the hop-up bucking and tappet plate in order to fix the minor problems? Also what has your experience been with AEX? I am really looking forward to getting this gun! BTW I will be getting the 1650 mAh 9.6v battery from CBP! How long will the battery take to get shipped to california?

Thanks so much!

Soemthing is deffinately wrong with this mag. i only have one hi cap, so i can't really compare it to another one. BUT i compared it to the low cap and realised that i must have a weak spring. 

With a full mag, if i pushed the release button, the bb's should fly out: but they don't. If i hold the release button and jiggle the top bb i get it to move and THEN the bb's fly out.  wtf.  when i empty the mag i don't see the little black ball come to the top indicating that it is empty. (i don't know its technical term:  its just a black circular piece of plastic that is the last thing in the clip).  Is the spring weak? or might there be a bb stuck in the spring or something???? heeelllppp meeee.

The hi-cap does not have a follower like the standard does, so you won't see a "little black ball".

Have you tried lubing the mag? Just a couple drops of silicone oil, don't go overboard or you'll make thing worse.

What kind of bbs are you using? If you using low quality bbs that could be the problem.

There could be a foreign object inside the mag that is causing the problem as well.

Now for a dumb question...Are you winding the hi-cap all the way?

Hello Static! (Nice review yet again!)

I was just wondering if you could answer a few questions? I am definitely gunna buy this gun from AEX at the San Diego store most likely tomorrow! I as wondering if they sell the Version 2 guns or just install the hop-up bucking and tappet plate in order to fix the minor problems? Also what has your experience been with AEX? I am really looking forward to getting this gun! BTW I will be getting the 1650 mAh 9.6v battery from CBP! How long will the battery take to get shipped to california?

Thanks so much!

AFAIK everyone is selling v2s at this point. However, if the gun still double-feeds, AEX will do what's needed to get it working right (probably by swapping out the hop rubber). My advice is to test fire it before you leave the store. Make sure the FPS is nice and consistent, make sure it feeds well, and just generally seems 'right'. If something is up it's a lot esier to get it sorted right then instead of later on.

My experience with AEX up here at the Santa Clara store has always been awesome. They'll take good care of you even if you didn't buy your gun from them and they always put up with my shenanigans (like taking way to long to snap pics for comparisons or chronoing all my AEGs at once or other such nonsense :) ).

CBP ships via USPS priority mail, so you'll have it in 2-3 days after shipping. It usually takes a day or so for them to process the order and build the pack. You'll have it pretty quick though.

This might be troublesome, but can you re-post the videos as DIVX format?  I can't find an updated quicktime player that runs with Windows 98...

I'll see what I can do. Windows '98 though? Yeeeeeeeeshhh. :P

Static, I have some problem with my UMG and I need your help.

Something just bothering me from the sound of shooting it in semi auto. When shooting in semi auto with high voltage, high capacity, and high discharge rate battery, the sector gear seems to turn more than 1 revolution result in the piston stop in the middle of a cycle.

What happen was when I was using a GP 9.6V 3300mAh NiMH battery with deans connector and high quality wire, the UMG sometimes double feed in semi auto. The sound that I heard was weird, I can tell the gun is not making exactly 1 full cycle, so I took it apart to find out what's happening.

There are some small pieces of plastic in the gearbox, not good. At first I thought it was the friction between the spring and the bearing on the spring guide because the bearing on the spring guide is made of plastic. But upon close inspection, the problem comes from the piston. The first, second, third, and 3 teeths in the middle of the piston is kinda chewed up. The rest of the teeths are fine.

My theory of sector gear making more than 1 full revolution is correct. I thought there is a problem with the cutoff switch or the electrical connection. My friend came up with a theory of the battery that I used was too powerful. We put together the gearbox and tried his 7.2V Lithium Polymer battery. Shoot it a few times on semi auto and only 1 cycle per trigger pull!!!

I tried Sanyo 8.4V 600mAh NiCd, GP 8.4V 1100mAh stick battery, Sanyo 8.4V 2000mAh NiCd battery, Sanyo 8.4V 3600mAh NiMH battery, and they all work fine.

So what's the short term solution? Use anything but the GP 9.6V 3300mAh NiMH battery.

Long term solution? I want to find out what part in the gearbox that is creating that lag in cutting off the electricity in semi auto with a powerful battery. May be a problem with the cutoff lever? In high speed the cutoff lever is not quick enough to cut off the current?

Have you encounter anything like it before? Double feed or 3/2 feed with powerful battery. Thanks in advance.

...What happen was when I was using a GP 9.6V 3300mAh NiMH battery with deans connector and high quality wire....

Just an FYI the GP 9.6 3300 battery on a full charge will put out up to 12 volts.

12 volts will produce much too high a rate of fire for most guns.

It will also significantly increase the number & severity of problems you have with the gun.

I don't think voltage is the problem, I believe amps/discharge rate is.

According to here: http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&item=76

"GP 3300 NiMH Cells/packs are capable of delivering up to 60A (for short bursts) Nominal discharge rate 35-40 Amps!"

These are the cell: http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/pic/330sch%2...1161%20rev1.pdf

The hi-cap does not have a follower like the standard does, so you won't see a "little black ball".     

Have you tried lubing the mag?  Just a couple drops of silicone oil, don't go overboard or you'll make thing worse. 

What kind of bbs are you using? If you using low quality bbs that could be the problem. 

There could be a foreign object inside the mag that is causing the problem as well. 

Now for a dumb question...Are you winding the hi-cap all the way?

Thanks for the info. I also noticed that when the mag is empty, the turn wheel is still fairly tight, with little room to move. wierd. i will definitely try to lube the mag... any particular place i should put a few drops :blink: I am using "MATRIX Maximum precision Airsoft 6mm BB's" (.2g). and yes, the mag is wound , but thanks for being thorough. :P

Woot! I just got my G&G UMG yesterday. I got the Hicap and a 9.6v battery and so far I am very very very impressed. I had he double feed problem for the first 10 shots in semi. I quickly sprayed 100% silicon spray down the mag well into the hop up unit in order to get it greased up. It worked wonders and I have not had one double fire in at least 800 shots! I really am happy I got this gun! Props to you Static for helping me with my purchase! Along with everyone else! I have no problems with the Hicap either. I played just today with at least 12 people and I have to say my gun outperformed all the other guns! Including the TM Famas and the TM M4 (New Version)! I plan on getting a review on www.airsoftcore.com

So ill keep ya posted on it.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

OK i got my UMG two days ago with a 9.6v battery, and 3 spare standards (total of four standards)

externally im absolutly LOVING it. beats the heck out of both my Marui AEGs

but im begginning to notice a few problems the more i shoot it

first day shooting: semi auto problem once. didnt think twice about it (only put about 5 standard magazines through it)

didnt shoot it second day

today: problems im noticing: semi auto feeding issue happening on two magazines (out of four) the other two has the problem once out of every 70 shots so im beginning to think the magazines may be the problem instead of the gun.

but just to be sure, i field stripped the gun and looked around the nozzel area (didnt open the gearbox because i didnt want to void the warrenty) and look at that! I've been sold a version one! from what I can see of the tappet (sp) plate, it is the old black one!!

blah. I have a game this saturday so I'll call them about it after the game. I ordered it from Airsoft Extreme so they will have to pay for it (or they get a very angry phone call)

Is there any way to tell if the tapplet plate is the old one and not the new one without taking the gearbox apart?

I'm looking around for a picture of the blue tappet plate (sp) to make sure.

all i can see is the part of the plate that touchs the nozzel and it is just as black as the nozzel so im 90% sure ive been sold an old one.

Im also experimenting with the magazines. I have 4 standards.

-two of which have the semi-auto feeding issue at least 5 times out of every 70 shots.

-the other two have that problem only once out of every 70 shots

im lubing two *when i get some silicon lube.....tihnk they'd sell that at home depot?* (one that has issues more often and one that doesnt have the problem as often)

and breaking in the other two(leaving 60ish rounds in there for about 5 hours)

that will tell me, i hope, if lubing or breaking them in will solve the problem.

i'll find out on saturday i hope.

other issues:

motor - after shooting off roughly 10 standards within about a half an hour time period, i noticed that the motor gets hot enough to feel through the handle. Is this normal for shooting it that much or could it be a potential problem.

hop up - at first the hop up was great, but now its starting to wear down on me. every ten or so shots i need to turn it up just to keep a substancial range.

unfortinatly, my parents just banned me buying any new AEG for a VERY long time.

but fortinatly, that leaves me tons of money to mess around with this and my AK.

my plan is the following for the UMG:

-EG1000 motor (i like the sound, and it has a nice ROF)

-SOMEhow fit a fuse in there (i know first hand what a lack of fuse can do to a gun)

-fit in marui hop up (the stock hop up is really killing me)

-re-shim the gears and put in an aluminum piston head (after the warrenty is finished so i dont risk losing anything)

-buy a high cap or two

-UMG silencer

-some kind of verticle foregrip

-and to finish it all off, a nice red dot

im guessing that'll cost around 200$

But before i do any of that, ill need to determine if i got a V1 or a V2 and then get a V2 from AEX.

so, without taking it apart, how can i determine if my gun was a V1 or a V2 and AEG SHOULD pay to have the new plate put it if it is a V1 correct?

-blaze

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I also have that jamming problem. Seems if I get the spring half compressed the batteries don't have enough oomph to overcome the spring. Course I do have a slightly beefier spring in mine... Currently my gun is at AEX getting a set of systema high torque gears, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Archived