G&G UMG un-boxing and initial impressions...

staticzero

OK, scratch that. The guy I ordered it from informed me that ALL of the units with the new tappet plate STILL misfeed in semi-auto (told me this after I placed the order :rolleyes:), so I canceled.

TM AK47, here I come!

You are getting an AK? I'm curious why you chose that for your first AEG, too. Buy my MP5 package, it's cheaper, it's new, and it shoots about ~350 FPS compared to TM's 280 FPS. :D

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=33938

That's too bad about the new UMG's. They look very nice. Hopefully CA or ICS will make one, so I can buy a pre-upgraded stock version. :) If you do decide on an AK, hold out for the CA one.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

get the tappet plate and the mags today... that means tonight I am ripping this thing apart and putting in the metal bushings and the tappet plate... re-greasing everything and then we will see how it fires.

just happy that I can finally use this gun for more thana few second s:)

You are getting an AK? I'm curious why you chose that for your first AEG, too. Buy my MP5 package, it's cheaper, it's new, and it shoots about ~350 FPS compared to TM's 280 FPS. biggrin.gif

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=33938

I'm buying an AK because it's been proven reliable, while most of the guns I've owned I've broken. So I want something I know will work well, and that definitely doesn't include a used MP5. ;)

ok parts came in today. I opened her up and installed the upgraded tappet plate, and a set of metal bushings to be safe.

Took her out back.. fired through about 40 rounds in semi, not one doublefeed... this is great :)

although there seems to be a catch on the mags... if the spring isnt tight enough it doesnt push up the bb's correctly... think i may need to play a bit with it to see if its a problem or not.

but yes the tappet plate does seem to fix the issue with the double feed

I'm buying an AK because it's been proven reliable, while most of the guns I've owned I've broken. So I want something I know will work well, and that definitely doesn't include a used MP5. ;)

I'd hardly call 100 shots "used". Have you seen some of the other items up for sale? They have a couple thousand rounds through them. But still, good luck on the purchase. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, would a crane battery work in the UMG? I'm guessing no, but I'm deciding on either the Star UMG or CA SLR105A1 as my next AEG. I like the look and compact size of the UMG more (as well as the cheaper price). But having to spend an extra $50 for another battery would definitely be a turn off since I could just get CA instead. Of course, this is on the assumption that the CA would accept a crane battery...

Just curious, would a crane battery work in the UMG? I'm guessing no, but I'm deciding on either the Star UMG or CA SLR105A1 as my next AEG. I like the look and compact size of the UMG more (as well as the cheaper price). But having to spend an extra $50 for another battery would definitely be a turn off since I could just get CA instead. Of course, this is on the assumption that the CA would accept a crane battery...

Chances are the crane proberly wont fit. With the UMG you know that there isnt going to be anything wrong with it, we don't know that about the SLR105a1 yet :/

Me and another have also the G&G UMG in our club but the only problem we had was that the autofire did not work..

Had to adjust the two metal thingies that touch the selector.. when that was fixed everything worked fine.

Not any 2bb`s problem either.

Bought from uncompany in hongkong.

Great picture review as always.

I find the "Uber Machine Gun" bit kinda funny. :D

The box designers must have gotten lazy.

As for the hopup. G&G is known for kinda lackluster hops. Replacing the bucking to systema seems to fix this in almost every case.

I just put a dab of loc-tite on the wheel. It keeps the hop in place just right.

I received one last Friday, went for the UMG of the Star UMP as I passed a fell on the field the week before and saw it, asked which make it was and made a firm note to never consider the Star one again - the finish looked horrible, incredibly plasticcy and light grey almost. I asked if he painted it, and the man from Del Monte, he say `no`.

The solidity and finish on the UMG is very satisfying, the felel is great and I just really needed a G&G gun, basically.

Incidentally I trust Star even less now and will almost defo get the CA249 despite the price in preference to the Star version. I just sort of decided that out loud there, but hey :D

Also many thanks to Static's excellent review, as ever, and may there be many more like it :)

I tend

• 1 month later...

Hey Static. i am looking to get a suppressor other than the one thats made for the UMG. I have not seen the G&G suppressor in person, so i was hoping u could clear up how it attaches to the barrel. does it slide over?.. screw in etc. Is the suppressor threaded? I wouldn't mind buying the G&G suppressor if it would allow me to attach my own working silencer: is this possibile? i appreciate your response, thanks.

Static - any more problems with this gun yet ?

i am considering getting one in march time next year. do you or anybody know if they will be on a second run by then ? im hoping if i get one i wont get the niggling probs you had at the start.

at the moment i havent decided between the G&G or STAR. i want to order from HK, so need it to be reliable. however i dont want to pay postage for that case it comes with, i have no need for it. on the other hand though, i want a functioning silencer. i heard one at the weekend, and the silenced STAR UMP sounded awesome. really quiet. does the STAR silencer fit the G&G gun ?

no doubt i will have mroe questions closer to the time, but its just festering at the back of my mind for a few months. AK, DE and 'Nam kit to come first.

Hey Static. i am looking to get a suppressor other than the one thats made for the UMG.  I have not seen the G&G suppressor in person, so i was hoping u could clear up how it attaches to the barrel. does it slide over?.. screw in etc.  Is the suppressor threaded?  I wouldn't mind buying the G&G suppressor if it would allow me to attach my own working silencer: is this possibile? i appreciate your response, thanks.

The suppressor for the UMG is proprietary. (It works just like the real steel.)

The muzzle is NOT threaded, the suppressor slides over the muzzle and locks on. There is a small groove on the bottom of the muzzle and a tab on the inside of the suppressor. This tab & groove match up & keep the suppressor from spinning on the gun.

The suppressor comes with a 14mm CCW muzzle, that allows use of the suppressor on other weapons.

Static - any more problems with this gun yet ?

i am considering getting one in march time next year. do you or anybody know if they will be on a second run by then ? im hoping if i get one i wont get the niggling probs you had at the start.

at the moment i havent decided between the G&G or STAR. i want to order from HK, so need it to be reliable. however i dont want to pay postage for that case it comes with, i have no need for it. on the other hand though, i want a functioning silencer. i heard one at the weekend, and the silenced STAR UMP sounded awesome. really quiet. does the STAR silencer fit the G&G gun ?

no doubt i will have mroe questions closer to the time, but its just festering at the back of my mind for a few months. AK, DE and 'Nam kit to come first.

No problems at all. I've used it in several games and it's performed like a champ every time. It's actually really tough to not use it, it's just so nice. But, I must give the rest of the guns some field time too. They're already on a second run BTW. The new tappet plate should come in any UMG sold today, which fixes the double-feed issue. The other issues I had seem to be one off problems, I'm not aware of anyone else having them so far.

I think there are some pretty good reasons to go with the UMG over the Star UMP, though it all depends on what your priorities are I suppose. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

But why order from HK? I don't know what it's like where you are, but in the US they both go for the same price as HK, and I've seen the UMG for less or with free shipping. You may want too take a look to make sure it makes sense to get this gun from HK.

No idea as to compatibility with the Star suppressor. It's funny, because one of the things I like about the UMG is how loud it is compared to my other guns. Not something I want all the time mind you, but I like it. It sounds really mean.

does no one else find that the umg, when you hold it, on a scale of 1 to comfortable, its like, 3 at best. not a comfortable gun. but that would stop me buying one

I find it to be quite comfortable. If anything, the stock is a bit long. This is why one should always try and hold a gun before buying it, that is if you're not dead set on it.

The muzzle is NOT threaded, the suppressor slides over the muzzle and locks on. There is a small groove on the bottom of the muzzle and a tab on the inside of the suppressor. This tab & groove match up & keep the suppressor from spinning on the gun. 

The suppressor comes with a 14mm CCW muzzle, that allows use of the suppressor on other weapons.

What he said.

ok. kool. thanks for the info. Is there no other way to attach your own suppressor to this gun then?.. cursess.

Archived