S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Impressions.

Samm

I've had it and I'm a bit dissappointed.

Lots of CTD's and weapon issues for me. The range on the grenade launchers is abysmal. What's more, I've got no clue how to look for artifacts since it wasn't explained in the manual. As a result, I have almost no money and so I can't really buy anything cool.

The game seems more linear than the first even though the story is less compelling.

Also, there's lots more pop in textures now. Since I'm running it on DX9, I don't get any of the benefits they were showing off.

The PDA now shows mutants, which is dumb. That removes the scariest part about them!

And combat? Pretty bad. Grenades are incredibly annoying and the enemy's rifles are all more accurate than yours for some reason. I liked Oblivion Lost way better and it was free!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had it and I'm a bit dissappointed.

Lots of CTD's and weapon issues for me. The range on the grenade launchers is abysmal. What's more, I've got no clue how to look for artifacts since it wasn't explained in the manual. As a result, I have almost no money and so I can't really buy anything cool.

The game seems more linear than the first even though the story is less compelling.

Also, there's lots more pop in textures now. Since I'm running it on DX9, I don't get any of the benefits they were showing off.

The PDA now shows mutants, which is dumb. That removes the scariest part about them!

And combat? Pretty bad. Grenades are incredibly annoying and the enemy's rifles are all more accurate than yours for some reason. I liked Oblivion Lost way better and it was free!

Sadly, having played it a bit more, I feel the same. The lack of new weapons, scarcity of money and equipment, and no instruction on anomalies and detectors makes the game difficult and far less satisfying. The game is quite linear, but I found you can ignore the main mssion and sort yourself out for a while to take a break from that.

On the plus side, the modding has already begun, including a weight and an accuracy mod, which should solve two of my worst issues with it. What I would also like to see is a more money mod (so you get more than $200 when you sell a high end nato rifle), more equipment available at sellers (even when you join a faction there isn't much availbale. Most don't carry suits; I was suitless for a good part of the game, and I only have a leather jacket now).

I do recomend this, just be prepared to mod like crazy. And rember to install the 1.054 patch first; mods don't work without it.

Cheers,

Matt

ssmatthew091908112321mael5.jpg

Ah, that makes sense. Have you had the problem with instant death at Yantar? As soon as I get shot, I die, and i can't figure out why. Installing the 1.05 patch makes my save games invalid, and you can't start a new game as it crashes.

On the plus side, I found an extractor, so you can look at the individual game files and modify them. With a little savvy, you can improve suits, make weapons more cccurate etc.

-Matt

I didn't have any problems in Yantar...short of Sakharov's door not opening!

I had to kill all the loners in the surrounding area, which seems like a weird activation, but it worked.

My biggest issue is I continue to have CTD's seemingly randomly.

After having the Army Warehouse section crash on my for the 5th time, I went back to Oblivion Lost. Much better game!

I have a PKM and it's all good.

Too bad, I loved the first game :(

I've tried to make a stalker-ish loadout, nothing accurate but I think it respects the game's spirit :

Well, tell me what you think of it ^_^

not a bad loadout, but i fail to see how it is relevant to STALKER. theres nothing eastern bloc there and it doesnt even hint at being used in a nuclear hotspot.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to do a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. loadout for a while, but it's not in my budget for the time being, perhaps sometime this winter or in the spring. I was however thinking of doing something based on Strelok's outfit as seen in the beginning of the game.

I think a Gorka in plain od green, and a Russian Molle type vest would make the base of it. Might go for a plain Condor molle vest tho since this one is so pricey. I'd find some nylon or cordura material in OD, or perhaps even synthetic suede material, and sandwich it over foam to make the ribbed pads like you see on much of the suits in Stalker. Add some military backpack such as one this RD-54 VDV, comes with a leather belt kinda like the one Strelok wears. Then some plain black leather half finger gloves, giant black boots (ever notice how big everyone's feet are in STALKER?), and that'd pretty much round out the basic Strelok look.

I would have to add a few touches to the outfit here and there I suppose, if I got ambitious I might try to replicate the armor of the regular green stalker suit instead of just using the molle vest. I'd need a good gas mask too if I wanted to complete that part of the look. Perhaps this GP-7 would fit the bill; green colored, tube for the filter, and has big slightly curved lenses I could theoretically replace with prescription polycarbonate lenses. I had an idea for an anti fog/fresh air system as well; run the breather tube into your backpack, where you have a small air filter and little electric fan. The fan blows fresh air into the mask at a low enough flow rate to not be felt, but enough to constantly flush out humid air for fresh, so your mask won't fog and is easier to breath in. This PBF mask though, looks more like the mask many stalkers wear.

My weapon of choice would be an AK-74s in od, with PSO-1 scope and GP-25 launcher, not sure on the sidearm tho, but prolly just a hi cap 1911 (because there is a 1911 iirc in the game, and I already plan to use it and a Serpa holster for other loadouts). I can't tell for sure, but looking at some of my screenshots, the thigh holster most stalkers have looks kind like a Blackhawk Serpa.

Once I eventually pull all that together, then all I need is some canned unidentified meat of questionable origin, some loaves of bread, STALKER energy drinks, lots of bandages, and a few artifacts to keep on my belt.

We intend to play a Stalker-like game in november and I am currently preparing my gears.

I will probably add some more "swimming-pool tubes" along my arms to complete this impression. For once I will use a westernized gun, which is providing an interresting mix.

1003488dw5.jpg

w775.png

1003492lz9.jpg

w410.png

Ive been playing Stalker for quite a while now and I'd like doing some cheap loadoud for it. Here's what I was thinking:

-OD/dark green parka with hood.

-Painters gas mask (available to me cheaply, I would get a real gas mask but its too expensive).

-Woodland Pants

-Basic black boots/black hicking shoes.

-AK chest rig

-Gloves (not sure for gloves, any ideas?)

-Some kind of OD large backpack with food/water/vodka :D )

So obviously I don't wanna spend much money on this, so how do you think it would look?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished Clear Sky. Jesus what a good game to play with *suitcase* load of bugs. (even after the latest patch.)

I really liked seeing that I'm chasing after Strelok as that was the guy we all played on S.O.C. And that we get to know what actually happened to him before he was reprogrammed. After playing it I re-installed S.O.C. :D Tempted to play it again.

I know many people complain about Clear Sky ending but IMO I think it's perfect for prequel. Couldn't have ended anyother way to make better connection.

I could definitely see GSC were rushed though. I wish they rather take another year and smooth it out instead, Though it just plainly shows how awesome this game is since so many people are keep trying and playing despite its bugs.

• 1 month later...

I HEREBY REVIVE THIS THREAD!

lol,

So i have recently gotten some friends of mine and we are doing a Stalker movie, more based on the origonal movie than the game becouse we cannot make Mutansts and we are going for atmosphere and story more than action and scifi. any way, It is going to be in a fictional Post soviet state in the North Caucasus reigon (near Chechnya) in an alternate reality where the invation of afghanistan was succesfull, a Nuclear powerplant is built as a cover up for secret labs to conduct studies on phycic powers which a squad of soliders in afghanistan developed. Similar to chernobyl.. the reactor explodes, but not by accident...

any way the story is about A charicter named Yuri Stepanov. the year is 2018 in a world where technology took a different path not one of sleek and slim but one of rough but tough. kinda like fallout 3

anyway the story is about him and the people he meets i will not reveal anything else until further notice. there may be script changes and such. but that should be enough info.

Archived