Star (TROY) SOPMOD M-14

@ shinjit noir

- i havent chronoed it yet but it sounds nice so far. it isnt stock btw, i had it 'downgraded' to comply with most uk sites, so it has a 1j spring in it.

battery - size hard to say. they do have a custom type battery for it but i didn twant to go that route. i also didnt like the way you had to unscrew something [the screw that keeps the barrel in place] to get the battery in and out.

so i went for my AN/PEQ battery box which i normally use on my M4 carbine - thats a 9.6v and it seems happy with that. havent tried any others.

battery connector is the mini type.

@ mhe

- i recall when this was first announced they stated it would be single shot.

i dont know what happened but thats not what got made and, as already posted, its full auto only.

the real steel has no selector and as such, neither does this..

i'm loathe to take this apart much more than i have.. so i wont take pics of the gearbox or inside the gearbox.

this pic might help though:

http://www.varusteleka.fi/tulossa/starguarder_m14sopmod.jpg

starguarder_m14sopmod_pieni.jpg

dimensions: 1754 x 1240 pix

@ mhe

- i was asking myself the same question the other day - ive never had the pleasure of the PSG-1, so i'll have to get used to this..

@ Purity

- hmm i might see if the TM tracer unit fits on.. [and that the inner barrel doesnt interfere..]

heh - i would *love* to own an eotech! once i get flush, maybe i will.. but thats some time off just yet.

the best i have is whats there - the aimpoint replica..

i'm getting abetter mount for it though, as this low mount fits *wide* on the rail for some odd reason so it wobbles.. the cantilever mount i had earlier was too high - this low mounting is quite comfortable with the cheek pad not raised so high.

eheh - i sold all my M203's a while back!

this bugger is heavy enough without them though - its probably about 10+lb's.

:)

incidently its amusing to read that the real steel cant get textured anymore because of a falling out between troy and their subcontractor, so no-ones been getting textured stocks..

troy are about to release a version 2 of their SOPMOD which is substantially different.

Edited by oikoik
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL!

i just pumped a few hundred [hi-cap + a half] through mine just now. still very sweet.

:)

the feed tube does look like its chomping away at the remains of the [plastic] lips of my hi-cap mag though..

i find a slap on the bottom of the mag allows the mag-release catch to click back and secure the mag. otherwise its pretty hard to keep seated in everytime.

Matt Bond asked for pics of the SOPMOD with EO-TECH -

I cant remember what thread that was in so I`ll post here... doh

Tried the EO-Tech forward and to the rear of the rail - I think forward worked better.

m14_scoped_001.jpg

I tried it with the Laser verticle grip and took off the other paraphinalialalala

m14_scoped_002.jpg

Then moved the sight to the back...

m14_scoped_003.jpg

m14_scoped_004.jpg

Then I tried my aimpoint COMP ML2 and the quick release X3 zoom aimpoint scope.

m14_scoped_005.jpg

m14_scoped_006.jpg

m14_scoped_007.jpg

I`m now totally confused as to which I prefer :blink:

Thats a CRIMSON TRACE grip - its got a laser in

heres a pic... grips_001.jpg

Its made of anodised metal - its rediculously rock solid and has a hougish feel to ithe rubber - theres a button on either side for activating the laser.

...and the SUREFIRE there is a real one - not a rico B)

Edited by donnie
still drooling!  The SOPMOD lools sweeeet with the eotech. 

I couldn't F'n wait for 0-1 to send me a quote.  Tried ordering 3 times even called them long distance.  Oh well.  So I just decided to go with the G&G SOCOM16. :(

I seen EO-TECHs last month on Ebay - if you ask most of the scope sellers will ship to EU even if their ad says otherwise.

And..yes the crimson trace is expensive - my real steel ELCAN M145 was a killer price wise! Almost as much as my CA M249 that I want to stick it on - once I get a rail on it! :blink:

Edited by donnie
LOL!

its okay, i still got the other one too..

star_sopmod_m14_005.jpg

You utter utter utter ######. I saw your pic's. I saw the link. I saw the online basket. I saw the card come out. I'm in deep *beep* when her-in-doors sees it.

Thank you very *fruitcage* much you *beep*.

Nice pic's.

Edited by The Waco Kid
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I just noticed tht the SOPMODs came with a "pelican" looking case.. I was wondering whether they are any good... I am in the process of getting a gun case, probably a pelican but it would cost me around £140 for a case, for half the price, I can get a STAR case.. Are these cases nice? Are they strong, are the locking bits tough? Is it lockable?

Thanks...