P90, Real vs. Airsoft

eltee

Yea, my only complaint about airsoft MP5 is that the ejection port can not be opened.  I think it'd be a lot better had it built a moving ejection port cover(though there's nothing to eject. :P) as the one on the G36C.  By the way, eltee, you got any of those in your armory?  It's said to be used by some US police nowadays, and it was featured in Bad Boys 2. :P

On a side note, eltee, on your job, have you ever encountered stupid kids or adults brandishing an airsoft gun in public?  It seems to be more problematic in California than other states.  I'd think all police (at least in the US) hate airsoft for this reason.

Heheheh....my newest goal is to buy an airsoft G36C and trick it out. I already have some real steel attachments for it, inc. the surefire grips with the dual LED lights and the monster turbo head light. Maybe you experienced airsofters can help me. I tried to fit the Surefire forend on a Tokyo Marui G36c but it is clear I need to modify (grind) the airsoft. The CA version is due out any day, and the distributer is nearby so I have access to one of the CA airsfot G36C models as soon as they arrive. My question, will all the accessories out now for the TM model fit the CA model, and from a performance standpoint, which brand has a better rep? I do not have a real G36 nor have I played with one but I intend to in the Spring when I do some more training out of state. Any advice on which G36 to get will be appreciated. Maybe the CA will have a metal eject port. If I can open up the G36 body, the machinist who works on my guns can mill out the port and fabricate a metal port cover...we "dress up" prop guns all the time.

YES...I nearly shot a moron who was brandishing an airsoft gun. I have come close to shooting people with fake guns a couple of times, but in one case we responded to a "man with a gun" call in a public library full of kids. I was first there, saw a young male adult with a handgun tucked into his waistband. I was in uniform but I still yelled, "Police, don't (and I might have added an expletive starting with "F" here) move!" Of course, he moved. My gun had been pointing at him all this time and a backup officer was now beside me. This guy goes for the gun so I brace and sight and put about 1/2 pound of trigger pull and in my brain goes all the stuff we think about just before we shoot someone. If the gun that is now in his hand had been moved from the vertical to anywhere near horizontal this story would be different, but he drops the gun. When it hit the marble floor my brain was anticipating the sound of metal hitting marble, what I heard was a plastic sound. It threw me off. We hooked him up and when I picked up the Beretta I realized it was a plastic toy, it turned out to be a springer airsoft that he used to rob people of drugs and/or money.

NO...cops in general do not dislike airsoft. Out here, kids have been shot (and killed) brandishing fake guns, water guns, airsoft guns, etc. (I don't mean to make it sound like it is a common occurrence, but OVER THE YEARS it has happened a few times). Adults have also been shot brandishing non-real lookalike guns inc. airsoft. Paintball guns seem to be more of a problem. Street signs and buildings show the paint left by jerks with paintball, and there was the famous home video of the car full of jerks driving by and shooting people with paintballs (they got caught, arrested, and their home video was used as evidence).

A BUNCH of cops I know own airsoft. In Spring, I've been asked to teach a CQB class to a bunch of airsofters at a former military base. THAT will be fun.

So, no, there is IMHO no universal animosity towards airsofters by cops because we know every sport or hobby has a few jerks but they don't represent the majority. When I went to my initial SWAT certification training years ago, we had to go against a local paintball team. Yes...I was covered in multi color paint. :lol:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heheheh....my newest goal is to buy an airsoft G36C and trick it out. I already have some real steel attachments for it, inc. the surefire grips with the dual LED lights and the monster turbo head light. Maybe you experienced airsofters can help me. I tried to fit the Surefire forend on a Tokyo Marui G36c but it is clear I need to modify (grind) the airsoft. The CA version is due out any day, and the distributer is nearby so I have access to one of the CA airsfot G36C models as soon as they arrive. My question, will all the accessories out now for the TM model fit the CA model, and from a performance standpoint, which brand has a better rep? I do not have a real G36 nor have I played with one but I intend to in the Spring when I do some more training out of state. Any advice on which G36 to get will be appreciated. Maybe the CA will have a metal eject port. If I can open up the G36 body, the machinist who works on my guns can mill out the port and fabricate a metal port cover...we "dress up" prop guns all the time.

YES...I nearly shot a moron who was brandishing an airsoft gun. I have come close to shooting people with fake guns a couple of times, but in one case we responded to a "man with a gun" call in a public library full of kids. I was first there, saw a young male adult with a handgun tucked into his waistband. I was in uniform but I still yelled, "Police, don't (and I might have added an expletive starting with "F" here) move!" Of course, he moved. My gun had been pointing at him all this time and a backup officer was now beside me. This guy goes for the gun so I brace and sight and put about 1/2 pound of trigger pull and in my brain goes all the stuff we think about just before we shoot someone. If the gun that is now in his hand had been moved from the vertical to anywhere near horizontal this story would be different, but he drops the gun. When it hit the marble floor my brain was anticipating the sound of metal hitting marble, what I heard was a plastic sound. It threw me off. We hooked him up and when I picked up the Beretta I realized it was a plastic toy, it turned out to be a springer airsoft that he used to rob people of drugs and/or money.

NO...cops in general do not dislike airsoft. Out here, kids have been shot (and killed) brandishing fake guns, water guns, airsoft guns, etc. (I don't mean to make it sound like it is a common occurrence, but OVER THE YEARS it has happened a few times). Adults have also been shot brandishing non-real lookalike guns inc. airsoft. Paintball guns seem to be more of a problem. Street signs and buildings show the paint left by jerks with paintball, and there was the famous home video of the car full of jerks driving by and shooting people with paintballs (they got caught, arrested, and their home video was used as evidence).

A BUNCH of cops I know own airsoft. In Spring, I've been asked to teach a CQB class to a bunch of airsofters at a former military base. THAT will be fun.

So, no, there is IMHO no universal animosity towards airsofters by cops because we know every sport or hobby has a few jerks but they don't represent the majority. When I went to my initial SWAT certification training years ago, we had to go against a local paintball team. Yes...I was covered in multi color paint.  :lol:

Pleased to hear cops in the States don't hate airsoft hobbyist as much as I expected. Sadly Im not sure the story is the same in the UK, I worked with a few former coppers here in the UK and they seemed to think that airsofters are all cranks/loons.

I know I never gave them that impression I have always keept my hobby low key and personal in the work place. I would never dream of needlessly transporting my guns from the home, and just generally have always been responsible

Pleased to hear cops in the States don't hate airsoft hobbyist as much as I expected.  Sadly Im not sure the story is the same in the UK, I worked with a few former coppers here in the UK and they seemed to think that airsofters are all cranks/loons.

I know I never gave them that impression I have always keept my hobby low key and personal in the work place.  I would never dream of needlessly transporting my guns from the home, and just generally have always been responsible

I am close friends with a retired policeman from the UK (he still lives there). Sounds as if, in large part, it is a cultural thing as in America we have a culture of largescale private ownership of realsteel whereas in the UK many of the police on patrol still are unarmed (that seems to be changing a bit). So for us in the U.S., seeing real guns on civilians (and in their cars and homes) is not shocking or uncommon, hence the airsofters are not consider a fringe element. At least that's my 2 cents.

Personally, if a cop accidentaly shoots and kills someone brandishing a fake but lookalike gun in public, I wouldn't blame the cop one bit, and it'd be good for the society to get rid of those idiots. (I know, I know, there's always going to be a grey area, and it'll be up to the jury to decide whether the idiot really posed a potential danger.)

Personally, if a cop accidentaly shoots and kills someone brandishing a fake but lookalike gun in public, I wouldn't blame the cop one bit, and it'd be good for the society to get rid of those idiots.  (I know, I know, there's always going to be a grey area, and it'll be up to the jury to decide whether the idiot really posed a potential danger.)

Yes, but the backlash would hurt the rest of the airsofters. The orange barrel thing is the result of a similar incident. Now, robbers with real guns paint their barrels orange, hoping the deception will cause a cop to pause momentarily...enough time for the robber to get the advantage and fire first. Plus, the cop will have to live with the fact he shot someone who was not posing a deadly threat (even if the shooting was 100% justified).

Yes, but the backlash would hurt the rest of the airsofters. The orange barrel thing is the result of a similar incident. Now, robbers with real guns paint their barrels orange, hoping the deception will cause a cop to pause momentarily...enough time for the robber to get the advantage and fire first. Plus, the cop will have to live with the fact he shot someone who was not posing a deadly threat (even if the shooting was 100% justified).

Haha, that's exactly why I think the whole orange barrel thing is mostly pointless. Better education about firearms is the key to solve the problem. I think the orange barrel is designed to protect stupid kids holding an airsoft gun in public, but kids could so easily remove that, and it leads to new problem with robbers painting the real gun orange. Only if we could get rid of those stupid kids by education, and shoot the armed robbers no matter what color of guns they are holding... :P

Welcome to the forums Eltee, could you take some comparison shots of the ejector port on the real steel p90 by any chance?

You can see my airsoft P90 on top, the real below. I also included a shot of the top of a real P90. The airsoft detail is pretty close to the eject port of the real one, only more metal phosophate/black color, and the real one is deeper.

We call our silencers "suppressors" as they really don't silence real guns, they merely suppress the noise.

Yeah, I remembered that as soon as I posted it, sorry, I've been watching too many bad movies... Grrr... Usually I'm a 'suppressor' and 'clip v. mag' nazi, but this time I slipped up... God, I'm a dork. :unsure:

As for the CA v. TM thing: Go with TM. Please, you'll thank me. And yes, to fit real foregrips on the G36C you DO need to do some filing. I believe due to Japanese law the real deal parts can NOT be mounted...

Also, the minigun conversion you talk about is not, to the best of my knowledge, a true conversion, as the new M134a is actually custom built by a partnership between The Q Project (TQP) and Piper's Precision Products (PPP), and it uses gas instead of an electric system.

*EDITED FOR 5p3ll1nG.

For my next airsoft v. real steel comparsion, I'll be comparing the TM M16/M4 and my real steel M4. My real M4 is more tricked out than my airsoft, so if anyone has any information on the following airsoft accessories I'd appreciate your help. My real M4 has the Wilcox Power Grip with white and IR light and pulse laser, the ACOG NSN (M4) scope with tritium back up sights, and a GG&G "MAD" rear popup sight with tritium. I'll ask my local airsoft shop if I can check out the airsoft version of the ACOG, and I was told that there was a replica of the Wilcox out there at one time. As soon as the photos are taken, etc. I'll post the info, and after that I will probably compare the TM MP5 with my HK MP5 so long as there is still interest in me doing these.

For my next airsoft v. real steel comparsion, I'll be comparing the TM M16/M4 and my real steel M4. My real M4 is more tricked out than my airsoft, so if anyone has any information on the following airsoft accessories I'd appreciate your help. My real M4 has the Wilcox Power Grip with white and IR light and pulse laser, the ACOG NSN (M4) scope with tritium back up sights, and a GG&G "MAD" rear popup sight with tritium. I'll ask my local airsoft shop if I can check out the airsoft version of the ACOG, and I was told that there was a replica of the Wilcox out there at one time. As soon as the photos are taken, etc. I'll post the info, and after that I will probably compare the TM MP5 with my HK MP5 so long as there is still interest in me doing these.

That'd be awesome! I can't wait.

Oh man, I can't believe I've missed this thread before now!

Keep it up man, this is amazing.

Oh yeah, I'm interested in the M4/M16 comparison - I like the look of the ICS M16 but the foregrips are quite shiny, and the rest of the furniture is quite matt. From what I can see the real-steel foregrips are shiny too, but it'd be cool to confirm this! :)

eltee do you plan on skirmishing with the airsoft or just collecting?

I hope to skirmish someday soon. I've been asked by a local airsoft (club, group, gang, team?) to teach them the latest police CQB tactics and in return they would show me how they skirmish. In police training, we skirmish with "simunitions" and presumably there are similarities.

Anyone care to compare a TM Leopard with the real thing? ;)

BTW, original poster, DAMN YOU!!!! I've resisted buying a P90 for well over a year and then you stirred up all those desires again and I've gone and bought one!!! :)

Cheers

gonna help train a local teenage militia eh?? :)

Nawwww...these are medical types. There is a medical clinic on my "beat" and they heard I taught the CQB stuff to cops. I figured I'd trade cop info for airsoft info. They have access to a former military base so the location is ideal. All adults but I don't object if they bring their older kids.

The "teen militia" in my area carry real steel AK's and shotguns, plus the usual selection of semiautomatic pistols. They specialize in high speed mobility tactical ingress and engagement (drive bys). :lol:

Archived