P90, Real vs. Airsoft

eltee

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohhh man this is one gun that I wish it would be available to the civilian market here in CA... :(

Anyway do you think it will be possible for you to post some pictures of the FN sight when you received it??? and if it's o.k. to ask what is the M.S.R.P.  of the sight?

thanx "eltee" and welcome to the boards...  :)

By "CA" do you mean Canada? My wife is Canadian, we go back there all the time and I see lots of airsofters around.

I don't know what the MSRP on the FN sight is. I'm not paying for it but I can ask the source. FYI, the P90 sight is not that great for CQB...in the real world our preference on the MP5's, M4's and on some P90's is the Eotech...it just seems so much faster. Oh yea, you may want to consider "painting" (use that special high glow paint made for gun sights) the backup iron sights on the receiver of the P90, sometimes those are the best and fastest sights of all.

TaQ would be proud of the pistol in the 2nd picture

wich one, there are 3... oh right i get you now.

to name what I (think I) can from the spceman pic:

Baterang(batmans boomerang)

Auto nine (Robocop) and (presumably) murphy's OCP/Detriot police badge

vulcan cannon

Berreta M93r

a (posibly) Racoon PD badge

the Bike from star wars and the GIjoe fast rope team. :rolleyes:

very cool room.

EDIT: also a Decapitated Tom Hanks in the Apollo suit. :lol:

The UK company producing the optical sights is Ring Sights. I struck up a deal with them around a year back to buy one of the units, but found I couldn't justify the price on my measly account balance :S

I would love to buy one now; I'm pretty sure its possible. I guess you've already got the unit, right eltee? From RS, it's around £140 delivered within the UK; not too bad. Less than the airsoft gun, at least ;)

I spoke to Ian Flack last time, but that was a while ago. Not sure who would deal with purchases like that now.

You think it would be worth me buying one?

The UK company producing the optical sights is Ring Sights. I struck up a deal with them around a year back to buy one of the units, but found I couldn't justify the price on my measly account balance :S

I would love to buy one now; I'm pretty sure its possible. I guess you've already got the unit, right eltee? From RS, it's around £140 delivered within the UK; not too bad. Less than the airsoft gun, at least ;)

I spoke to Ian Flack last time, but that was a while ago. Not sure who would deal with purchases like that now.

You think it would be worth me buying one?

If I had to pick ONE sight for a real P90, it would be the Eotech Holographic tactical sight. For backup, the iron sight built into the left and right side of the frame is fine, esp. if the front blades are painted with gunsight high glow paint. For real CQB you pretty much use an instinctive "point shoot" technique at 15 feet or less and/or support that with a laser. The real, factory sight might be of great value to many, but if I have to use a sighting system at CLOSE range my personal preference is the Eotech whereas on my real M4 that is intended for mid to long range (if I am in a support or perimeter role) is the ACOG with the built in backup iron sights, plus we add the GG&G "MAD" backup tritium enhanced sight on the rail behind the ACOG. The ACOG has some quirks and limitations (short eye relief, hard to use co-witness sights or NV scopes, etc.).

If you want to trick out your airsoft P90 with a real P90 sight (like what I'm doing...so it is not a criticism) that's fine but IMHO if you want a real world user friendly and effective CQB sight, think about an EOTECH. Mind you, the eotech's can be found used, AND the older models simply called Bushnell Holographic sights are great for airsoft and the frontal glass is strong enough that you don't have to "armor" it against incoming airsoft rounds like you do with the replica eotechs.

just wondering what pouches do you carry your real p90 mags in?

You can buy cheapies at the surplus store, they are made for the bipod of the M16, so they are mil-spec, etc.

Or, you can spend lots more and get them from Blackhawk.

Personally, I like having a seamstress sew pouches and pockets into my tactical uniforms. That way if I have to unload my equipment vest or something, I've got some basics on me: flashlight (P6), leatherman tool, one spare mag, USAF military pilot water bottle.

thats some very scary info, considering i let my brother use my P90 TR now i have an m16. oh and a note for anti gun groups: HE SAID THE MAGAZINE FITS NOT THE SHELL YOU CANNOT FIRE A LIVE 5.7MM ROUND FROM AN AIRSOFT WEAPON.

edit: or any other bullet, shell, round or charge other than the 6mm ball bearing.

But FN dont deal with the civil market. anyware. nor will they even respond to inquires as to the purchase of sighting systems in the uk from civilians(or my junk folder swallowed the replie):P .

Here are a couple of photos, the first showing my TM airsoft P90 alongside one real and one airsoft magazine. The second shows how tha magazine fits the airsoft, but the bullet feeder device makes it sit high (on the real P90, there is a circular recess into the action so the bullets can feed). However, it does fit and if the bullet feeder were removed I suspect it would sit flush.

Very nice. I'm a huge fan of the P90TR (sold mine for an SG551 and that went for an AK47, but I'm probably gonna try for another P90TR...) and I've recently been drooling over pictures of GIGN with P90s.

Out of curiousity, have you considered the BHI P90 sling? Mine took forever to arrive from, oh, five miles away, but it was pretty decent (I live in Norfolk, VA, home of BHI). Also, is your department equipped with silencer units for the P90? If so, how cumbersome are they?

Is it legal to own 5.7 ammunition? I'd love to buy a few rounds for my little collection.

AFAIK, yes, but if not you _can_ still buy it online or mail-order, as there are PLENTY of unscrupulous sellers who sell various forms of 5.7mm ammo, ncluding training, HP, FMJ, and tracer (not sure if the last is OEM, but I know I've seen it sold). I had some 5.7mm Training ammo I purchased to use as a photo prop to go with the P90, but it never arrived... :angry: Damn UPS.

Very nice. I'm a huge fan of the P90TR (sold mine for an SG551 and that went for an AK47, but I'm probably gonna try for another P90TR...) and I've recently been drooling over pictures of GIGN with P90s.

Out of curiousity, have you considered the BHI P90 sling? Mine took forever to arrive from, oh, five miles away, but it was pretty decent (I live in Norfolk, VA, home of BHI). Also, is your department equipped with silencer units for the P90? If so, how cumbersome are they?

Guys can pretty much setup their equipment as they see fit, within reason. On my M4 I use a singlepoint "bungee" sling that mounts to a sling plate right where the folding stock joins the receiver. It is pretty close to COG, and works well with tht longer gun.

On the P90s, some guys use the Blackhawk P90 special sling, some use the factory sling (made by Sling Systems), some really like the "Chalker" slings and one guy...believe it or not...uses one made by a fan of Stargate SG1 and is a replica of the ones used on that show. The Blackhawk (aka BHI) sling tends to let the nose heavy P90 ride nose down which is an advantage to some, but for me I like the gun to be closer to horizontal when I want it, and still be able to nose it down when I want to. All personal preference I guess.

If I could find a proper way to mount my "bungee" single point sling from the M4 onto my P90, I probably would.

We call our silencers "suppressors" as they really don't silence real guns, they merely suppress the noise. I even have a suppressor attachement for my duty pistol which is an HK USP .45 with a tactical, threaded barrel. I find anytime you add something to a gun, real or airsoft, you increase size and weight.

If there is any interest in my doing comparisons of real and airsoft guns, I can do the M4, HK MP5 series, etc.

eltee, very informative posts and nice pictures!

While I'm not really into P90s because I just don't like the look of them. I am interested in some comparisons for mp5s and m4s. I have the ICS MP5A4, and a CA (Classic Army, not Canada :P) M15A4 Carbine on the way. Have you ran into either of those in the training exercises you mentioned? How do they compare to the real things? For MP5 real steels, is A4 more popular or A5 just from your experience?

Had I not spent all the money on airsoft, I could've bought a real P90. Haha, but then I wouldn't have all the fun that only airsoft can provide. ;)

eltee, very informative posts and nice pictures! 

While I'm not really into P90s because I just don't like the look of them.  I am interested in some comparisons for mp5s and m4s.  I have the ICS MP5A4, and a CA (Classic Army, not Canada :P) M15A4 Carbine on the way.  Have you ran into either of those in the training exercises you mentioned?  How do they compare to the real things?  For MP5 real steels, is A4 more popular or A5 just from your experience?

Had I not spent all the money on airsoft, I could've bought a real P90.  Haha, but then I wouldn't have all the fun that only airsoft can provide. ;)

In training, we use real M4's and M16's and MP5's to shoot at each other. We use an ammo called "simunitions" (made in Canada) that allows you to use the real guns (inc. the Beretta 92 9mm) but with a modified drop-in barrel. We wear airsoft/paintball type protection, inc. a throat guard. The simunitions allow the gun to fire and cycle as if it were live ammo, and there is no 300 round high-cap mag :lol: The simunition round marks you, and stings. It is very accurate.

They do not make simunitions in 5.7 or a barrel adaptor for the P90, so to train the airsoft was the only alternative. That is how I got hooked on this sport. I was totally amazed at how close the airsofts look compared to the real guns. I have seen numbers of guys now with airsoft guns that far exceed the price of the real guns...but I am beginning to understand it all.

On the variants of the M16 and the MP's...it is pretty much individual taste. Some guys like folders, some like solid stocks, some interchange based on the job. If/when I do a side by side on an airsoft v. my real M4, you'll see what I mean. For real M16's, the most common are the M4's, followed by the A2's. This may be based largely on logistics, getting overstocks from federal/state government (military/reserves), grants, etc. and in some cases the guns are seizure guns.

eltee, Can't see any reason why a comparison between the civilian realsteel AUG and the TM AUG would be a problem- as we obviously aren't going to be comparing rates of fire, range, accuracy and all that jazz (what would be the point ;) ) then the discussion can focus on the same areas you have with you p90 comparison- looks, feel, build, weight etc- all the things that a true airsofter is concerned with!

oh, and if that m134 is the real deal, remind me never to go looking for trouble around your beat (not that, of course, you'd ever use it on duty...though with old "girly man" arnold as governor of california, I'm sure he'd not mind too much :) )

he'd probably want a go, thinking about it... and who could blame him :)

Shazam!  Nice.  That is a prop right?  does it do anything?

I have three miniguns in inventory. The one shown (Predator model), one with popup sights on a tripod (Matrix model as used in helo scene) and one unmodified. These were made by a Japanese company that also made an airsoft version, the company is Toytec. The miniguns are all metal, and use an RC car motor and battery to spin the barrels. The gun itself weighs approx. 30-40 pounds plus the metal ammo chute and ammo can/backpack. For realism I add real 7.62 linked ammo (no powder/no primers) with the bullet tips in the correct 1-5 FMJ-Tracer colors.

If you need to simulate firing, there are propane/oxy gas devices that do that, or you can electronically insert the firing post production. The real steel minigun used in Predator and later (after minor cosmetic changes) in Terminator 2 is valued at $300,000.00 and was in the possession of the Allegheny Weapons Museum.

Here's a photo of the tripod mounted minigun and some photos of the live fire one used in the movie.

FYI, there is a company that takes these and converts them to full auto airsoft with some incredible rate of fire. It is probably the most expensive airsoft gun out there, but you have a full size, all metal airsoft minigun capable of laying down an unimaginable amount of cover fire.

Do a web search for Monty's Miniguns. There is a link to a movie file showing that airsoft minigun blasting away!

I was totally amazed at how close the airsofts look compared to the real guns.

Yea, my only complaint about airsoft MP5 is that the ejection port can not be opened. I think it'd be a lot better had it built a moving ejection port cover(though there's nothing to eject. :P) as the one on the G36C. By the way, eltee, you got any of those in your armory? It's said to be used by some US police nowadays, and it was featured in Bad Boys 2. :P

On a side note, eltee, on your job, have you ever encountered stupid kids or adults brandishing an airsoft gun in public? It seems to be more problematic in California than other states. I'd think all police (at least in the US) hate airsoft for this reason.

Archived