Hunting

Butter18c

I deer hunt when its well... hunting season, duh. But I constantly squirl and ground hog hunt, being that I live on a farm, they eat our vegtables, annoying little....

And a shoot to the lungs is exactly where you want to shoot them.

And wasnotgood: we eat all that we kill (exept the varmit's), it's a real money saver if you think about it. ;)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait...Fishing counts? Count me in then.

I fish, salmon tastes better fresh caught.

Honestly I'm all for hunting...in moderation. Alot of communities subsist on hunting (Inuits still hunt whales up north).

Hunting is an actual skill worth learning, and it's not the shooting part I am talking about. It's the stalking, tracking and wilderness identification part. Really taking a shot is only 50% of the job. You know they have paintball hunting for those who would have deep regrets about killing. Hell, they have picture safari hunts that I hear are actually quite fun, instead of shooting with a gun you do it with a camera. All the skills still apply.

really?! then why isn't the hunting camo done in shades of bright shiney glow in the dark orange? ok hunters might look a bit vomit-inducing, but surely if your prey can't pick up the colour, its in everyones best interests (obviously not the deer, but who asked it?) to stand out as much as possible while remaining hidden?

just seems strange, is all.

maybe I should go into business...

It's required to wear blaze orange in only some states, not all, and really depends on the season you are hunting in as well.

This is a requirement out of safety for hunters them selves. For example, lets say you were dressed in soild camo, and where in a bush. But, a deer ran by you and another hunter, in camo, was in another bush. And takes a shot at the deer with out knowing your in the bush on the other side of him. Basiclly, it's a lack of identification - thusly, you can get shot at. The Blaze orange is there so you stick out through any thing, and thusly when a situation like above comes up - hunters don't shoot at each other by accident.

But, for example Turkey hunting, you are not required to wear blaze orange - and its actually highly advised against since turkeys will pick up any differences in color changing. Which is why when you go to get a turkey shot gun - many of them come painted in camo already.

Along with bow season, since bows do not have the power, of such a gun, you wait for the deer to come to you, not you go to the deer. Thusly, you sit in camo and wait.

Jointly, anymore it's the only time I get to spend time with my father. Who has taken me every year since I was 9 and got my hunters saftey liceanse. Though, I went with him before - just minus the gun. Hunting in it's truest form is not something that's easily taught by watching a movie, or reading a book. But something that only experiances passed on (I.e. Father son, etc.) can teach. There have been many years where I've sat in the cold, wind, and snow in my tree stand, with it being -5 degrees with the windchill, and not get anything. Why do I do it? Because its an act of conservation. I will not, nor in ANYWAY condon over hunting, or out of season hunt. On that note, I've busted quiet the number of people in the woods behind my house for poaching when I was riding around on my 4 wheeler.

So its more then 'Oh he's going out to kill something' Because that doesn't always happen. The best 2 weeks of my life were spent out in the middle of no-where colorado hunting with my dad. On the last day I was out, I got my elk. But thats after 2 weeks of walking up and down mountains, busting my *albatross* every day only to see Spiked bulls and Cow elks that I couldn't shoot.

The tracking you learn is phonomial as well. Over time, you can Id each different kind of track, and by knowing the weather conditions you can tell how fresh, or how old it is nearly down to the hours -if not closer.

I just can't wait till I graduate from college to go back to Colorado, and possibly go up to Alaska.

I love fishing, and the stuff i catch is always eaten (or if its too small they are put gently back into the river, after being read a nice bedtime story :D ). Wouldnt personally ever go hunting big game at all dont really see the point personally, but to each thier own :D. Nice guns though, im sure we all agree on that :P

To anyone who thinks deer never hurt anybody: Have you ever seen what a deer does to a car? (often with an entire family in it) Have you ever seen what a 40 ton logging truck going freeway speed does to a deer? I rest my case

I like deer hunting, it puts meat on the table, and it gives me a reason to go out into the woods... I like bird hunting more though, as I get to do a lot of walking, see the fall colors, and I generally don't freeze my *albatross* off... It's a good time to do some thinking by yourself or spending time with your parents...

I also do pest control around the yard with either a pellet rifle or a .22, usually chipmunks, squrrels, and rabbits...

And I'm really curious as to how many of you who are posting have actually seen deer in the wild more than once or twice?

Fishing isn't pointless if you eat fish, I've heard that fresh fish taste much better than any kind of store bought fish.

I love fishing, and yes frech fish tastes alot (see 10x better) better then store bought, but I'm lucky living on the east coast of Canada so the store bought stuff is almost as good as fresh.

I personaly have never hunted but would love to try pheasant/grouse hunting sometime.

Also I have an amazing story about fish/fishing. One day we were going for a paddle up this little river that is near wear I have a cottage, so were paddling up the river , and eventually it gets too shallow to go any further, so we decide to head back.

Anyways me and my dad start talking about how this pool below the canoe would be a perfect place for fish to live, I take a look over the side just to see how deep it was, and I saw this flash.

I looked a bit closer and suddenly I noticed all these shapes moving around in the water, and then i realized there must have been something like 50, 18" long fish swimming around below us, my mouth just dropped.

After harrassing the most likley spawning fish (we came to the conclusion, due to there size they were either Brown trout or salmon) we started to paddle a bit further and all of this other group of fish just shot under us, and the school was about the same size.

Definitly going back next year with a rod to see if I can catch something.

Maybe people should just keep their eyes open and not hit deer?

Uhh, well I've hit 1 or 2 deer, and all the times its happened the deer is completely invisible on the side of the road, and then it decided to bolt, and they always seem to do it during the darkest of nights

Well, my cousin and her family are like the most "christian" people I know, and by that, i mean they follow their religion very seriously. Pretty much against killing pretty little animals, yet I still find it a bit funny that over the past 2 years, they've managed to hit 3 deer with their car :blink:

For the Orange camo, billymak's right, the camo breaks up the outline, and deer are colorblind.

I still cant believe the limitations on the elk tag though. I go tomorrow, and the only thing I can get is a Spike, which is pretty much like a unicorn over here... Plus you have to make sure that the horn is the right length, make sure their the right number, etc... Or else its a major fine.

One last thing, I'm pretty sure in the states at least, its illeagal to shoot squirrels

OOH! OOH! pick me Pick me. I hunt. I have bagged a 14 point Fallow....and two red fox. And a few quail.....That is all. For rifle i bring out either a ruger mini 30 or a Remington M700 short action in .270. for shotguns I sport a Remington M1100 12 gauge or my m1187 in 20 gauge. For those trips when i want a challenge. The trusty FNH 5-7 makes a lovely gun when the 10 rd mag is in.....Also the ruger 10/22 is such a lovely sporting gun. of course at the range my dad had to show off and buy a new M1100 in 10 gauge...LOL he bought a elephant gun not to long ago....though we have never been elephant hunting....478 winchester. it makes a 50 BMG look like pistol caliber. I guess because this is such a small rifle. it is the same caliber that the guys shot in the "why Iraqies throw stones" video. I love it tho.

on the topic tho. Squirls are in season year round in Georgia if I am correct. and tag limit last year was unlimited on does. I guess we were at a all time high or something.

I guess we were at a all time high or something.

Well we certainly are over here in Britain. So much so that the grey squirrels have all but wiped out the native reds. Then the greys continued spreading so now DEFRA and some archbishop are encouraging us to control them.

What is annoying though is that all the squirrels did a runner from my backgarden the minute my new air rifle arrived :(

really?! then why isn't the hunting camo done in shades of bright shiney glow in the dark orange? ok hunters might look a bit vomit-inducing, but surely if your prey can't pick up the colour, its in everyones best interests (obviously not the deer, but who asked it?) to stand out as much as possible while remaining hidden?

just seems strange, is all.

maybe I should go into business...

Hunting camo (greens/browns) is used for hunting lots of things such as bunnies who aren't colour blind so would see a bright orange vest. Flourescents are only worn when hunting deer as 1. The deer can't see it, so why not ? :P 2. People may mistake a human sized person for a deer when hunting, where as it would take a real fool for someone to mistake a human for a bunnie :D I think that kind of explains it...It sounded better in my head though :P

To anyone who thinks deer never hurt anybody: Have you ever seen what a deer does to a car? (often with an entire family in it) Have you ever seen what a 40 ton logging truck going freeway speed does to a deer? I rest my case

I like deer hunting, it puts meat on the table, and it gives me a reason to go out into the woods... I like bird hunting more though, as I get to do a lot of walking, see the fall colors, and I generally don't freeze my *albatross* off... It's a good time to do some thinking by yourself or spending time with your parents...

I also do pest control around the yard with either a pellet rifle or a .22, usually chipmunks, squrrels, and rabbits...

And I'm really curious as to how many of you who are posting have actually seen deer in the wild more than once or twice?

I haven't seen many deer where I live, and when I do they're usually standing at the side of the highway, with no apparant fear of the cars zooming past them. But when I went on vacation in arizona this summer there where deer everywhere. There where probably a lot more deer than my family could see, because we only saw them at night while driving. I've never been in a deer related car accident but it's easy to imagine.

The problem with the "have you seen what deer do to a car" argument, is: what gives us more right to exist than the deer? Maybe people should just keep their eyes open and not hit deer?

:zorro:

Are you saying they should train deer to shoot people because nobody gave us the "right" to exist? No one gave the deer the right to exist either. Besides, if a deer gets hit by a car, it's less than likely that either the people or the deer will keep existing.

It's not a question of keeping your eyes open. Deer move very quickly, and they don't look where they're going.

Um, this post sounded more rude than I wanted it to, so just pretend it doesn't.

One last thing, I'm pretty sure in the states at least, its illeagal to shoot squirrels

Last time I checked it wasnt, Im pretty sure you dont even need a liscense to go huntign for squirrel.

I'm saying that killing deer because sometimes they get hit by cars seems like a flawed argument. Besides, what are these people doing driving next to forests? Can you not put a fence by the road?

:zorro:

Deer can easily clear fences and that would cost alot of money to put fences up.

Archived