Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CA249 was brought up because that fellow said it has a faulty mechbox, and I have yet to see info on where that is the case.

You must have a short memory. Weren't you the one posting on ASP about the poor quality of CA249 bearings and their propensity for failure?

Seriously though, comparing the CA & STAR is like comparing apples to oranges. They both fill a similar niche albeit in a different way. I own both and like them equally well though I use one or the other depending on my needs.

CA products have come a long way in the last few years. STAR, they've done well right from the start.

Edited by birddog
You must have a REALLY short memory. Weren't you the one posting on ASP about the poor quality of CA249 bearings and their propensity for failure?

That is the bearings, not the mechbo itself. Replace the bearings, and that metal mechbox will run circles around a plastic one. Note that while MY bearings failed, others have put a LOT of rounds through theirs (likely at a lower spring strength I hypothesize) without a problem. I have no qualms about putting a spring far, far beyond the allowable limits of this forum in the CA249, which I highly doubt the STAR mechbox could withstand.

I read that Airsoft GI were saying that CA parts would not fit but no one has said anything about TOP parts not fitting. If TOP and CA parts are interchangable then I guess not but if they aren't then dose anyone know if TOP parts will fit?

Most TOP stuff fits the CA249 perfectly, and vice versa... It's a big mistake if STAR is not compatible with all the M249 accessories out there.
CA products have come a long way in the last few years. STAR, they've done well right from the start.

Technically, this is STAR's Third AEG.

The first, thier UMP, wqas apparently a bit poo.

Your point is invalid.

Your point is invalid.

Why do people always say that? You point is also invalid, the first one was the M14 Sopmod. Check the Part No. UMP is AEG-002 M14 is AEG-001

:P

And BTW I just heard back from my friend that replaced the grip with the tapco RS grip. Said it fits perfectly!

Why is everyone downing the plastic gearbox as being uncapable of handling grossly powerful upgrades? Honestly, I would trust a high tensile plastic more than that ###### potmetal that most Asian companies use - TM included. There is nothing wrong with plastic - when I took my STARs mechbox apart, the gearbox seemed extremely solid and had no torque when I tried to flex it. Am I saying that it's unfallible? Of course not, but consider what's plastic in the real gun world:

Glock, H&K, and a whole other multitude of pistol lower frames. Yes, they are technically polymer, but when it comes down it to: plastic. And they handle a helluva lot more load than any airsoft spring can put out.

The entire reciever - upper and lower of the real H&K G36 family and the body of the FN P90 are both plastic. Does this mean if I put ten thousand rounds through them they're going to split? Nope. XM8, F2000, Steyr AUG - 75% of the gun is plastic.

What I'm trying to say is that, there's nothing wrong with plastic. Would STARs gearbox be able to take, say an M150? I doubt it myself, but it's a start to where one day airsoft gearbox CAN be made of plastic and reduce cost and improve reliability.

-Slo

PS: Went through another 4000 rounds today on the Para and no problems. This was the first day using an above forum discussion limits spring and there were absolutely no problems with the stock internals. Gun fed fine, and performed beautifully once again. Total amount of rounds fired: Nearly 13,000.

ABS? Sure I will: it's called a TM and CA G36 and a KSC Glock 17, 18C, 34.

But when you get down to it, on the real G36, the reciever is made of polymer ie: plastic. I think I just said that . . .

And to my knowledge, a Glock pistol does not have a "body" per se. . .it has a metal slide, metal barrel and a polymer lower grip assembly.

Any more brain busters?

-Slo

Ok Slo, show me a Glock or a G36 that has a body made out of ABS.

He only said that they were made out of a plastic material.

I've seen cracked metal gearboxes, but with Star's gearbox design, there aren't any noticable weak spots. Plastic will probably be just as good.

Yeah, the real G36 is carbon fiber polymer composite.

Now lets be clear, the Star M249 gearbox is NOT ABS. It's not just some whatever plastic either, it's POLYCARBONATE. Guess what Polycarbonate is? That's right, it's a POLYMER, like ABS (which is actually a copolymer). Polycarbonate is much stronger however, they make BULLETPROOF GLASS using polycatbonate FFS. It has a melting point around 250 degrees C. The gearbox is at least 1/8" wall all around. It's going to be more than durable for out purposes in airsoft. I would sure trust it over potmetal.

This is just silly to be discussing this though, both gearboxes are going to be plenty strong for our purposes.

Edited by staticzero

Indeed, both gearboxes are more than fine for airsoft. I'm not downing one or the other, nor was I trying to start some kind of flame war, but I think it's sad that when people see the word, "plastic" they automatically think junk. Sometimes yes (especially in the airsoft world)but in this case, no.

-Slo

Some people just can't grasp the fact that technology is moving forwards all the time. I mean what reason could Star possibly have for putting a weak gearbox into one of their guns? I think we have to credit them with some intelligence (even tho their pricing of the L85 definitely detracts from that!). I'm more than convinced anyway and I'll be ordering my para in January.

Why do people always say that? You point is also invalid, the first one was the M14 Sopmod. Check the Part No. UMP is AEG-002 M14 is AEG-001

:P

And BTW I just heard back from my friend that replaced the grip with the tapco RS grip. Said it fits perfectly!

But, the STAR UMP came out first. (at least in HK)

Your point is invalid.

Read my post. Then re-read it again and again until you understand it.

If you still don't get it, take a reading class.

I didn't say the M249 was their first release. I did say that for a company that recently started manufacturing AEG's, they're doing it right.

Regarding the UMG, they made an effort to rectify the problem with the gun by offering a new Tappet Plate to remedy the problem with the gun misfeeding. CA never released JACK to fix any of the numerous problems with their version 1 & 2 MP5's.h

The point was valid. Your intelligence (or lack of) was the cause of your inability to comprehend it.

Edited by birddog
Regarding the UMG, they made an effort to rectify the problem with the gun  by offering a new Tappet Plate to remedy the problem with the gun misfeeding. CA never released JACK to fix any of the numerous problems with their version 1 & 2 MP5's.h

That's the UMG, which is G&G, not Star.

I am not aware of any major issues with the Star UMP as fart as reliability goes. Anyone care to chime in with anything concrete on that front?

"plastic" is such a generic term. the gearbox is made of polycarbonate. which is actually pretty expensive material, alot more expensive than pot metal anyway.

Star didn't use it because its cheap, they used it because its BETTER.

I've dealt with polycarbonate windows, the stuff is strong as hell. i really dont see an AEG being able to produce enough torque to break the gearbox. We have'nt heard of any breaks yet have we?