customs charges

screamin_weasel

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a rumour, and it was only a rumour, that Customs noticed that packages coming from HK could be undervalued, especially from WGC and it was said that they just take any order from WGC and tax it at £200 unless of course the amount is mroe than that. But seeing as you ordered from the States then I'm not sure what it is.

I've been caught all 4 times I've ordered from WGC, which sucks a bit, but still worked out cheaper so not too bad, although they were all rather large orders, coming in large packaging.

Thanks for the info i really hope that they dont charge me alot because i was going to order from wolf armouries but i thought that it would be cheeper to order from HK. Now im starting to think it wasnt such a good idea.

The delivery companies usally have a secret fee, i don´t remember if it was DHL or UPS who had the most.

It has happened me to i ordered an red dot sight fore 30US$ + Shipping 12US$ the customs wanted + a little to the delivery company even though i have payed shipment 23US$. <_< .

It ###### me of, could mind as well buy it here home and get an 2year warranty, instead i got an lemon dot sight, wasn´t good.

40 quid on an HK order valued at 250-ish suggests all they applied was the VAT and that they zero rated the duty and the courier didnt bother charging a fee. Not great but for an order thats been assessed by customs not too bad :)

One thing thats always puzzled me is generally imports valued under 32 quid get let thru regardless. If so then why isnt 32 quid always deducted from the chargeable value as a basic allowance :) ?

heres a real killer (and probably explians the higher than average total for SW's order)

quote from some us clothing site or another warning its UK customers

CLOTHING IMPORT DUTIES

1) Customs Duty. - Customs duty is calculated by Customs on the TOTAL cost of the clothing. They add together the purchase price, + any insurance, + freight costs. This gives the TOTAL. They then look at the material the clothing is made from. On the TOTAL figure they charge Customs duties of 12% for "fabric" clothing made from cotton, silk, nylon, polyester etc.. If the clothes are leather the duty charge is 4%

OUCH!!!!

so unlike an import of guns (duty of 3% then VAT on the total of 17.5%) a clothing order (of non leather goods) will get duty of 12% applied then VAT of 17.5%

£107 + 12pcnt = £120

£120 + VAT @17.5 percent = £141

£141 plus handling fee by courier of £13 = £154 :no:

stevie

I got stung, today of all times aswell. I ordered a G36c long foregrip and bipod, plus a 550mm inner barrel from WGC, However I've been stung for 30 bloody pounds!

It was around 60-70 pounds for the Foregrip+barrel, and another 40-ish for shipping. However, if they havn't charged for shipping, it means they've stuck on a 30%-ish charge!

Ok.. here is the history... From Russia with love...

Preface - at the start of december i've ordered WA Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II from redwolf. 182USD + 70USD shipping. Package went thru EMS (SpeedPost) which have 10000 roubles (340USD) untaxed window. The overall travel time was 7 days from payment to door-bell delivery.

Encouraged by this operation i've ordered WA Kimber Stainless TLE SV. 196$ + 70$ shipping - from Redwolf.... And these...hmm...kind people...send it via D-H-L...

Step aside - DHL is a carrier... EMS is a carrier... but EMS agent in Russia is Russian Post - so for EMS delivery the post rules are been applied (it's important)...

And...ta-da...DHL is a carrier... so untaxed window is 5000 roubles (170$) - so the package went over the tax limit... and these MF at customs made the following:

196$ - gun...30% customs charge - plus 59$... and (196$+58$)*18% VAT=46$...and the total sum is 196$(gun)+58$(customs)+46$(VAT)+70$(shipping)=370$

and D-H-L added 32$ for 'warehouse registration fee' and... the total price is 402$ for 196$ gun.

And it's only because Redwolf have chosen DHL over EMS.

So i think this Silver TLE would stay for long time in my collection - i don't expect i would be able to sell it for adequate price...

P.S. Of course i wrote the letter to Redwolf...i think i didn't used the 'F' word so many times in any letter in my life. But it won't make my money back.

Obviously with hindsight it would be easy to say you could have asked Redwolf if they could send your parcel by EMS if you had no problems, most companies are pretty accomodating of requests. I do feel for you though mate, thats a really painful amount of money considering the original price and actual value of the item + shipping :( .

Obviously with hindsight it would be easy to say you could have asked Redwolf if they could send your parcel by EMS if you had no problems, most companies are pretty accomodating of requests. I do feel for you though mate, thats a really painful amount of money considering the original price and actual value of the item + shipping :( .

If there would be an option at web site (to choose the carrier) of course i would choose EMS. But there is no such option during the ordering+credit card payment process

Ordered somthing which ended up being £410 including delivery

didnt get it undervalued or anything

got charged £90, like I worked it out to be. I don't understand why some people get annoyed over this kind of thing. We all know it will happen, we all take the risk.

If there would be an option at web site (to choose the carrier) of course i would choose EMS. But there is no such option during the ordering+credit card payment process

What I do with all my orders from WGC is in the little 'additional information' bit, I put 'Please send quote for EMS Speedpost shipping' or something like that, and I expect there's something like that on the Redwolf website, as they usually say something about American customers should advise them on how they want the trades covered on their guns (if the trades are illegal), or at least I think I've seen that on Redwolf's website.

I've ordered accessories from WGC (I'm in NJ, USA) but never any airsoft guns and didn't notice any US customs charges - gotta check the bill again :huh: . However, I'm planning on ordering a Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S. from an HK vendor very soon.

So, any fellow Americans out there have any custom charges for airsoft guns ordered from HK or Japan?

E.T.

Parcel Force stuck a £70 charge on my Glock from RedWolf and didn't even bother to tell me! They just kept the parcel there for a few days so when I rung saying where the hell is my parcel the man kindly informed me I had to pay £67 for it's release. When I asked how they calculated the charges so that I could take this into account before my next overseas order the man said its something along the lines of "I don't know". When I asked him further he said it's 17.5% UK VAT. So I asked why I had been charged around 30% and he said "I don't know". He didn't seem to know much. He then said he was guessing at 17.5% and actually had no idea. My next overseas order will be an open tube of anthrax so they can hold that back in their office for 3 days waiting for me to pay it's clearance.

Get used to it, as they seem to be hitting more and more parcels as they go along.

I have been stung on numerous occasions, mainly due to my parcels being delivered on a flat bed truck.

My best estimate on how to work out the charges is add up your total including any shipping costs the add 24%

works fine for me. I am expecting my next customs bill to be about £250.

On this very subject, does anyone know what would be needed to satisfy American customs?? I may need to send a Rifle over the pond. I know about the Red-Tip, was just wondering if there is anything else?

yeah cover the trades up with was or removable resin or something. ask the guy you're sedning it to. if it doesn't ahve an orange tip or covered/no trades, it will be crushed.

billymak - the jacket and top cost me about 50 quid, and the boonie i think about 2, cant remember. seemed good prices until i got hit by customs. oh well.

www.mooremilitaria.com is the site. they have some god stuff, and AWESOME service.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived