SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darkchild, would it be possible for you to get a few pictures of the Acog scope mount for me?

Just a thought :).

Sorry bud, i dont readily have access to issued ACOGS, as they are not on trial and as they are UOR kit, they are in theatre or with operational units (ITDU only has 2 of them). My personal weapon at ITDU has a SUSAT on it.

@Panoptes: looking good there! I'm still waiting for mine <_<

Darkchild

Just so i am not spaming this picture thread with questions;

familyphoto.jpg

From the left in each photo:

MMC classic L85a1, fitted with what I think are STAR iron sights (either that or RS.)

Internally stock, and i am not sure if i can bring myself to upgrade a gun that should be in an airsoft museum! :P.

Academy L85a1. Fitted with a custom cut RIS, china'soft ACOG TA01 and a real steel saty maglite. Lots of internal upgrades, running perfectly at 310FPS for at least 100k rounds. Need to sort the hop unit out (TM MP5 type hop) cus it has no range currently.

ICS L86a2, standard OOTB exept for a spring change to lower the power a touch.

I'll put this here so people stop PM'ing me about it.

The British ACOG was supplied as you see it in pictures. The "mount" is fixed and is not removable, and was bought from Trijicon exactly how you see it. If you want a source on the mount, your only option is to ask trijicon themselves as we in the trials world dont care, as long as the kit meets its requirements.

Darkchild

I'll put this here so people stop PM'ing me about it.

The British ACOG was supplied as you see it in pictures. The "mount" is fixed and is not removable, and was bought from Trijicon exactly how you see it. If you want a source on the mount, your only option is to ask trijicon themselves as we in the trials world dont care, as long as the kit meets its requirements.

Darkchild

I posted a few pics of the new top rail (not the one in the above pic) that sit's flush with the DD handguard, According to some guy on arrse.co.uk qm bit, said that these would be in theater sometime soon. Any weight to that? Too much time on my hands an all that..

Edited by piesoft

I posted a few pics of the new top rail (not the one in the above pic) that sit's flush the DD handguard, According to some guy on arrse.co.uk qm bit, said that these would be in theater sometime soon. Any weight to that? Too much time on my hands an all that..

spam post.

Edited by piesoft

You missed my point, but you're right.

However many soldiers are to be issued with scope/redot units, trijicon supplied a small fraction of that number, the SUSAT still needs replacing(I'll take one from you MOD:D) so the rest have to come from somewhere else. UOR is as the name sujests a "panic buy" of a few hundred units to fill the gap until a proper procurment is ironed out.

Fair enough, I guess.

Although, personally, I'd stick with the ACOG since that's what some people are already using. You don't really need different sights in use together, and you really want to replace the expensive UOR sights you only just got with new ones that are probably no real improvement.

Then give all the SUSATs to "second line" units and junk as many iron sights as possible. Everyone should have an optical sight.

For example, I know first hand from a very reliable source working in procurement for the Dutch Armed Forces, that every man or woman in their forces is getting a new rifle, very similar to the HK416, with a red dot sight, removable 3x magnifier and gripod as standard. Everyone. Clerks, cooks, mechanics, drivers, everyone. The infantry get the same weapon with the same sights but also a taclight, laser and a NV scope. The basic package costs fifteen hundred Euros per unit.

The British Armed Forces, however, apparently aren't worth that much... <_< Last time I checked, I believe the basic L85A2 costs £800, a SUSAT about £200 on top of that - but I'm sure there are people here who know *exactly* what the MoD is paying for them. I have no idea how much the rail systems and things they're using out in Afghan cost.

you people dont understand kit procurement. A UOR is a one of contract negotiated to sate a particular need, ie the need for better optics ala the ACOG. this was purchased with no doctrine in place, no pamphlet being written, no training package, no spare parts, no spare sights to train troops outside of theatre and no promise to Trijicon to purchase anything more.

the Elcan is the replacement for the SUSAT, it is a MUCH bigger contract, being developed with full support to completely replace SUSAT. (FYI, the Specters are more expensive than the ACOGs) The MOD have not spared expense in this case. It is a gleaming weapon sight, i wish i could get my hands on one.

As for the Picatinny top rail adaptor, i has an issue one that will be part of my L85 build when it finally arrives...

Darkchild

On another note; IW sights really must be standardised. There's little point giving the SUSAT to "second line" units while so-called 'front line' ones race ahead into the distance.

If your weapon malfunctions and you have to grab, say a casualty's weapon with a sight system you've never trained on, you'll be deep in the brown stuff, both tactically and possibly legally.

Shooting (or missing) someone with a weapon that's not zeroed to the firer could land you in hot water but firing a weapon when you're not even trained in it's use (including the sight system) would be foolhardy at best.

What's a 'second-line' unit anyway these days? Chefs, drivers, posties and Sigs all end up on patrol at some point.

Edited by Panoptes

And how is it any different from the way it is now? - front line units have optical sights, everyone else has to make do with iron sights. Replacing SUSATs with Elcans or ACOGs or whatever and then replacing the iron sights with SUSATs would just make an improvement to the weapons of people already using iron sights.

I'm fairly sure that out on Ops in Afghan, everyone has an optical sight.