Tokyo Marui MP7A1 stripping guide

gunner-airsoft

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you really wanted full size AEG performance out of this thing you probably could using brushless motor technology and a controller.  I fly RC helicopters and brushless motors are far superior.  The problem would be finding the right one.

Yes I have brushless in my r/c helis and cars as well. It would be a great idea even for larger AEG's. However, it needs a brushless motor controller that would work like an on off switch and fit in such a small space. A brushless controller would increase rof and runtime.

Im sure there is a controller out there that fits the bill its just finding it I suppose.

You'd also have to find a brushless motor that likes to start up with a lot of load on, most brushless dont like starting up fast like a brushed motor, you get an effect called cogging

You'd also have to find a brushless motor that likes to start up with a lot of load on, most brushless dont like starting up fast like a brushed motor, you get an effect called cogging

if the motor has enough torque, you won't get this cogging effect. The cogging effect usually occurs at low throttle from a stand still. What you're looking for in an airsoft application would be full throttle on or off. But yes with a motor this small, it is possible for a cogging effect and a longer trigger delay than with a dc motor.

The main body is ABS plastic, the real steel may be fibre??

the rails and muzzel brake are all metal. and also the magazine.

+1 just for buying an MP7! Exellent pics too!

GA,

Could you tell me what the guns main body parts are made of? ie ABS, plastic, metal etc.

Does anyone know what teh real one is made to compare?

this is an extremely stupid question to ask, but which way do I want to unscrew the plastic OJ birdcage redwolf put on mine? and will the pro silencer work with this gun?

Edit: The Real Mp7 is made of some kind of polymer, everything that should be metal on this gun is metal :flamed:

And why should people bother trying to go 'over 300' fps on this?

It is nicely sized PDW, intended as a last ditch resort, (or only ditch resort).

The English community should be embracing it with open arms, being well below the 1J limit. Fine, I can understand people wanting to tweak it and all, but if they tweak it and break it, they should do so if there are parts available for it, otherwise it would end up having to be used as a 'spares $$$$'.

Well, on the 'low' fps of the G18c, I was still able to get hits on people approximately 20m away. Admitedly, it was not going terribly fast, and it was a still day (outside too).. but I was still getting hits on them. Why people cannot do that with something firing about20% faster I do not know.

ANYWAY, ... I just hope that the longevity will prove this design as well, and we can go back to crying out for the 'next best thing' along :)

Well, the AEP is an accurate and practical close range backup or indoors pistol, but no where nearing the performance required for field use. I find that there was a huge ballistic difference between 270fps and 310fps when I changed out hammer spring and recoil spring on my SIG, from being not able to hit *beep*, to hitting people through foliage.

The MP7 is classed as a PDW, which is a step up from a SMG. In airsoft with its low FPS, while in close range it would have an advantage (speaking on experience with weapons of its similar class), it is no way an assault rifle, does not carry enough rounds with sufficent FPS to provide effective suppressing fire over distance. It would also not be sufficient as a defensive weapon.

For your role, Wege, you are often an offensive flanker and all you need is for the other people to provide cover fire/distraction so that you can approach the target and hence your engagment distances are lower. MP7 would be perfect for your role.

However, on a large patrol, your low FPS/ROF weapons you carry cannot provide sufficient security for the guys in your section. You will bog the section and be bogged down by the weapon.

*prods 3vi1-D4n*

Ehm, not quite right on all of that, mate.

A PDW and SMG are totaly different, neither one is a step up OR down from the other - In fact, AFAIK all PDW's are SMG's. See, SMG stands for Sub Machine Gun (as far as I know), and is basicaly an assault riffle that fires a pistol round. PDW is Personal Defence Weapon, and is ridiculously tiny for aircrew and the likes - I mean, compare an MP5A5 to the MP5k, and then the MP7 - big size differences, even though they;re based n the same gun.

PDW's are designed to be compact, so that they can easily be stored and used by people with no space to store other weapons.

In airsoft, of course, this is all bunk - it's just a different look and size. The MP7, as you did quite rightly say, can't realy handle long range engagements, due to lack of ammo - but then, it's not designed for long range engagements, is it now? ^_^ Mauri made it because:

1] People wanted it

2] It was tiny enough to be used as a backup or a kick-*albartroth* primary in CQB/CQC.

How many of you bashing this gun own it?

I can hit a man sized target at 110 ft with my mp-7. Past 130 your probally not "aiming" as much as youre "arking" your gun anyways, that is if you do obey the UK feild limits over there :P .

I think the difference between smg and pdw is the ammo firstly.

PDW have high penetrating power in small size guns, for people whose role is too complicated to carry a big gun (panzer driver etc...)

*prods 3vi1-D4n*

In airsoft, of course, this is all bunk - it's just a different look and size. The MP7, as you did quite rightly say, can't realy handle long range engagements, due to lack of ammo - but then, it's not designed for long range engagements, is it now? ^_^ Mauri made it because:

1] People wanted it

2] It was tiny enough to be used as a backup or a kick-*albartroth* primary in CQB/CQC.

Actually the real MP7 is good out to 200m. And it can penetrate some body armour in like 100m range. The PDW was designed to be compact for carry but still provide enough fire power to penetrate body armour and out range pistols. It's designed almost like a rifle in pistol form so tht support staff can have a compact firearm that can almost do the job of a rifle, somthing that performs better than the average SMG. (althou in real life the MP7 is no match to the rifle)

The design of the 4.6mm round like a sized down 5.56 rd also means that it would out range guns like the MP5 due to it's high muzzle velocity, better projectile shape and smaller diameter. So if someone can use a MP5 in woodland, the MP7 should be able to do tht too if you want it to be realistic...

FUmiYAsu describes it well. The RS MP7 IS designed to go all the way out to 200m with decent accuracy. Else there would be no deployment difference between a normal SMG and an MP7. Hence I said that a PDW is one up from an SMG.

However, as MDK_Marshal pointed out, Marui made it because of those reasons not because it is actually gonna be used as a PDW.

Just the fact that my initial post goes to answering "Why people cannot do that with something firing about20% faster I do not know." in support of increasing the MP7's FPS, not keeping it stock. From 240fps to 300fps is a big difference in ballistics and increases the types of roles it can be used on the field.

Sorry to through my hat into the ring, but on the RS side:

My understanding is that modern PDW's were designed to provide support troops with defensive weapons which could defeat modern body armor, be easier to shoot well than pistols, and be compact enough to carry while mounted in vehicles. While all of them are SMG like, there are key performance differences. SMGs usually have a much higher ROF, making them difficult to control without a great deal of training and use the standard pistol ammo which can't penetrate body armor at ranges over 40 m. This means that in the hands of a non-skilled support trooper, they don't provide an adequate defensive weapon. Pistols have similar problems, only exacerbated by lower ammo capacity and less stability. Modern PDWs like the P90 and MP7 using the new intermediate calibers (not quite battle rifle, not quite pistol) have been specially designed to fulfil this role... that's why in spite of its odd design most people find the P90 so "pointable" and easy to shoot well. Interestingly enough, the PDW idea is far from new... just look at the good old M1 carbine of WW2.

Sorry for the OT :)

BTW I don't consider the Mp5k-pdw a true modern pdw as its just another 9mm smg with a cool stock, so lets not argue about it ;)

Sorry to through my hat into the ring, but on the RS side:

My understanding is that modern PDW's were designed to provide support troops with defensive weapons which could defeat modern body armor, be easier to shoot well than pistols, and be compact enough to carry while mounted in vehicles. While all of them are SMG like, there are key performance differences. SMGs usually have a much higher ROF, making them difficult to control without a great deal of training and use the standard pistol ammo which can't penetrate body armor at ranges over 40 m. This means that in the hands of a non-skilled support trooper, they don't provide an adequate defensive weapon. Pistols have similar problems, only exacerbated by lower ammo capacity and less stability. Modern PDWs like the P90 and MP7 using the new intermediate calibers (not quite battle rifle, not quite pistol) have been specially designed to fulfil this role... that's why in spite of its odd design most people find the P90 so "pointable" and easy to shoot well. Interestingly enough, the PDW idea is far from new... just look at the good old M1 carbine of WW2.

Sorry for the OT :)

BTW I don't consider the Mp5k-pdw a true modern pdw as its just another 9mm smg with a cool stock, so lets not argue about it ;)

yea, I think tht's right... but with the MP7, one of the selling points were also the ability for out range pistol calibers... which might or might not be in the design requirements.. It doesn't specifically say about it but the bit about being a soldiers defensive weapon sorta implies tht since soldiers need greater range to do it as most attacks in the battle field uses rifles... So they need better range to meet their fire power... :)

• 2 weeks later...
So as to avoid "barrel suck?"

I have a quick trick (ok maybe not so quick as it requires taking everything apart) i learned about how to test if your cylinder has enough volume for the barrel:

Fill the barrel (only the barrel) with water (cover one end with your finger, duh  :P ) till its full, then cover the nozzle on the cylinder head and pour the water from the barrel into the cylinder and see how much of it fills up.

If the cylinder gets filled up/overflows and there is still water left in the barrel, then the volume of the cylinder is too small.

If it ends up even or the cylinder doesnt get completely full, then you're good.

If it is too small i think you're SOL because i dont know where you'd be able to find a bigger small cylinder for that.  But if i had to guess; since it is a TM i would assume that they would have thought about that (hopefully) and made the cylinder big enough.

If you do this let us know how they measure up...

P.S. I dont remember who i learned this from, so i cant give proper credit....

I think you could go slightly over on the barrel length without losing any fps. The mass of air in the barrel propelling the BB (even the small amount we're talking about here) moving at the speed it is, has momentum (kinetic energy). So when the BB reaches the point at which the air behind it should theoretically stop pushing, it will still have a little bit more useful power to give.

• 1 month later...

systema recommends 2.5 x the barrel volume for a compatible cylinder. the air in the cylinder needs of greater volume than the barrel because the air in the cylinder is coming out compressed (higher pressure, lower volume). this probably depends on temp as well. in cold weather the air in the cylinder will not compress as easily (denser air) so you could probably get away with less than the 2.5 cylinder/barrel volume ratio.

the topic is old, but a 1:1 ratio discussed here is far lower than what i've read recommended by manufactures.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived