USA Banning of Airsoft

EverReadyEverWil

With states starting to pop up with anti-airsoft bills I figured we should start to do something.

The ban of airsoft isn't a big problem, at least not right now but it will eventually more states will try to ban it.

What if we try to do something to help stop the idea of a ban from becoming a reality. What if we where to try to help in someway limit who can get an airsoft gun? Or make communities more aware about the subject. I know America is on a "OMG TERRORISM" ran but we really should do something.

I really haven't though much about this, so this will seem short. I figure if I can share ideas with people maybe we can help stop the idea of bans.

I'll continue to post here if I think of anything else.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you want to take a lesson from the far more advanced state of things in the UK, my advice would be...

1. Set up a national Airsoft Players / Owners Association,

2. Get Airsoft in to the public eye as a safe, fun, exciting, and character-building SPORT,

3. Advertise the sport as if it were the most important thing since anti-biotics. :)

I think you get the idea.

A quick browse of the VCR Bill sub-dorum should give you more ideas, but in the UK at least, keeping a low-profile has done nothing but make us an easier target for vote-winning legislation by a government that despirately needs votes :(

Hope that helps ;)

Wait, which states have banned it?!? I immediately assume California is on the list, although I don't think so...

None, FL\MA are trying to. I just want to do somthing before somthing happens (in my state) and on a Federal Level. Thanks for the help R22 ill have to look into the VCR fourm.

Edit: I'm toying with the idea of creating a National Airsoft Players / Owners Association, if anyone can\would like to help then contact me, or just post here.

Edit: If anyone wants to instantly talk directly to me Aim: EverReadyEverWil

. Set up a national Airsoft Players / Owners Association,

2. Get Airsoft in to the public eye as a safe, fun, exciting, and character-building SPORT,

3. Advertise the sport as if it were the most important thing since anti-biotics.

That's all well and good, but to be honest I don't think is would do a bit of good. You see the big stumbling block is the US media. The press here in the states has a decided left wing slant and is very anti-gun. They are never going to accept, let alone potray in a positive and acceptable light a game in which players are shot (especially those under 18) with replica firearms. paintball was able to get grudging acceptance by the US media through getting away from the milsim aspect, and hiding the fact they are playing a wargame with PC terms like "marker" and "tagged out". The fact that their guns look like non-threatening water faucets does not hurt.

Sadly, the portrayals and attitudes expressed by the media will largely shape the opinions of the public for better or for worse.

I don;t know if the eventual banning of airsoftin the US can be staved off, but I know it will not be acomplished via the media.

On a related note, I know you think selling the game as a "port" is a positive thing. However I disagree. Looking back at what happend to paintball when it became a "sport", I realy would nto like to see that happen to airsoft. Thus I resist any temptation to call it a "sport" or otherwise mainstream it.

"Trench Raider"

I only play with about 10 friends, and I would be devastated if they banned it in my state. I will help out if I can, but I think a public aproach is a good idea, to advertise it as a sport, and let people know that we are there and what we do is just good fun and very safe.

EDIT: I agree with the dude above me, and the fact that they are real looking replicas doesn't exactly help. But we can't just stand by and let them label us, we have to do something - not all the media is left wing.

Thus I resist any temptation to call it a "sport" or otherwise mainstream it.

"Trench Raider"

We already know this is failing to help us, look at the UK, look at what is happening in MA, FL. I do see your point, I forgot when I posted this about the media, but I really don't know what else we can do. We can wait and we will see a more total ban than the UK did. Then again im talking through my *albatross* so.

I think that they should ban low end guns from the u.s., i.e., those which can be bought from wal-mart and such. Then you would have many less problems involving airsoft because those who create the problems would not be willing to drop the money which real airsoft provides. The key to letting airsoft survive is education.

Airsoft isn't considered a firearm, we wouldn't be able to use that. :(

Ah yeah I forgot. Damn! :(

If we fired metal projectiles, at a certian velocity from them they would be IIRC, thats why pellet and BB guns dont have orange tips. I could be wrong, but I doubt that would be pratical ;)

I'll complain to my State powers (Legislaters, Senate, Governer) and push the topic of banning replica weapons. When people have the right to bear real firearms over replica's. Won't happen in my state, atleast better not! <_<

I think that they should ban low end guns from the u.s., i.e., those which can be bought from wal-mart and such.

I agree with that statement, the kids who buy the cheapo's at walmart are the ones who cause problems.

And also i dont see how they can ban replicas when it is legal to own real firearms

I was thinking of somehow limiting the sale of airsoft, somthing like a license to own one. This probubly wouldnt fly. Maby have a fee so Fed\State makes money off it.

Edit: Ok, I have a chance to make a community. With domain and fourm software costs covered, I just would like to see what people thing the domain should be. Also I would need to have a team of members to help with, moderation, layout, if my application is accepted.

Alright the application im filling out requires me to make a team to help me keep the place up. What I really need is people to help me with layout, and I think I I might need somone that is fluid with coding.

Moderators will not even be considered right now, as I might not be accepted.

If you think you can help send me a PM or Aim:EverReadyEverWil

I was thinking about somthing along the lines of NSA, Nation Airsoft Association, basiclly stealing NRA. But still open to a specific domain name.

We could request a subforum on Arnies for the Asso. (AAA, NSA, etc...)

It would help.

I'm up for it. I've PM'd you wil

Im filling out a Zoints Community request, they give me my own domain, and fourm software. But if I dont get accpeted Ill need to find some other place.

Another thing we could do is to contact the NRA and ask for their support. They will hop on anything that is pro gun, and is trying to protect our rights.

We can tell them why Airsoft is important such as:

1)Teaches gun safety

2)Keeps kids fit

3)Teachs team work

4)Teaches leadership

5)Teaches monetary responsibility :D

~P

www.SORTRASPW"T"G.org

Save Our Right To Run Around Shooting People With "Toy" Guns

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On a serious note, it would be nice if a lawyer or someone that knows a lawyer could tell us if it is unconstitutional to ban airsoft guns in the first place(can it legally be done).

I think we need to slow down, and take this one step at a time. Airsoft won't be banned overnight, so let's go slowly and make sure we don't do anything stupid, or overlook a major aspect.

EDIT: I agree with Prometheus, it would be very beneficial to get support from an existing organization.

You can set up as many organisations and implement regulation. But take a note of what happened in the uk. Everyone started organisations and talked about licensing, and the government did exactly what they wanted. The act of talking about licensing indicates to the government that even the people who take part in the sport acknowledge that legislation is needed. You are just proving them right in their eyes.

Good luck anyway.....

I think that they should ban low end guns from the u.s., i.e., those which can be bought from wal-mart and such. Then you would have many less problems involving airsoft because those who create the problems would not be willing to drop the money which real airsoft provides. The key to letting airsoft survive is education.

good point, but most walmart guns are cybergun, own by soft air USA, so it's US business, the government won't ban them.

One thing I don't get is why they wanna ban airsoft, airsofter never do any harm, only those stupid ppl like that kid in FL

Archived