USA Banning of Airsoft

EverReadyEverWil

does anyone know any law enforcement officers or military who participate in our activities? perhaps have them promote the image that perhaps airsoft is a viable development tool for creating future law enforcement agents or "patriots" amongst the community.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three words guys:

National Rifle Association...

I wouldn't worry about airsoft being banned as long as the NRA continues to be one of the most powerful lobbying groups in Washington DC. Currently their position is that banning airsoft would pave the way for banning real firearms, so they support our right to play and own them... hell even some of the mainstream gun magazines have done stories on airsoft recently (as has Time magazine and it was positive... shock of shockers :) ).

I'm of the opinion that if we can destroy the market for really cheap springers and LPEGs than half our problems will be solved. As long as getting into this sport / hobby costs a couple hundred bucks we should be fine. As for a national airsoft registry, call me paranoid, but are you making a list for the govt. to follow if they ever did pass a ban? count me out... ;)

I have up to 7 days to see if my application is accepted so until then I'm gonna start planing for if I don't get accepted.

Now if I do not get accepted I can buy the domain without any problems, hosting may be a smaller problem do to my income. And fourm software is the biggest problem, would anyone think that if I where to use a free forum that would make every thing look less professional?

Just because we can get real steal in the USA doesn't mean that airsoft will never be banned...

About the NRA helping us because that it would be the beggining of banning real steal, are there any articles about this, I cannot find a thing.

Neoshi "does anyone know any law enforcement officers or military who participate in our activities?"

Actually one person who provided help, his father's company has contracts with the Navy I believe to supply upgraded airsoft guns for training and also does some stuff with local law enforcement.

maybe it would be a good idea getting all of the sites on board along with the retailers as the majority of good airsofters deal with them ie buy from them and play there.

This is much easier than doing players with to begin with due to the sheer numbers of them, though there must be a huge amounts of sites in the USA. If the sites club together they can normally get insurance deals etc-maybe contact our guys and ask them.

*edit for spelling* :unsure:

maybe it would be a good idea getting all of the sites on board along with the retailers as the majority of good airsofters deal with them ie buy from them and play there. 

Well if I get accepted to a Zoints Community I get 40% of advertising space, to advertise what I want. Hopefully I can get in contact with some retailers, I seriously doubt they will help us but its worth a try.

*Edit*

But then theres another question, should we directly depict weapons on the main page. I don't want non-airsofters who visit to automatically thing where a bunch of gun toting terrorists.

1st off- I would challenge respondents here to not get side-tracked with overly-political bullsh*t. No one cares what you think about Iraq. It's not the issue at hand.

Now that that's said...

I've always been a proponent of keeping airsoft "underground". I've known about the concept of airsoft since I was in early junior high school. I was probably the first person in my town to have ever heard about airsoft, and I would bet I was among the first 20 people in my state to ever hear about it. I'm a college student now, and quite a bit has changed since those early days. Back then, you could search for "airsoft" on eBay and get under 100 hits.

We all know it's grown EXPONENTIALLY in popularity since then. And while the growth has brought SOME positive things, it's also brought terrible things. There are individuals who don't even deserve to breathe, yet they somehow have discovered airsoft. These are the types who see an airsoft gun for the first time and say "LOL that's HELLA TIGHT, you could rob a bank with that" or similar. They're usually suburbanite white trash, but they come in other flavors too.

But I digress. Over the years we've all come to the common conclusion that it is not the average player that will get us bad attention, but rather the wannabe-gangster fool or the idiot teenager with the $30 KWC springer. These are the ones who draw the negative attention and cause bans to occur (as evidenced by the recent Florida incident).

Hence I've always advocated keeping airsoft "underground": the policy of "Tell no one about it, and actively discourage undesirable people from taking up the hobby." Unfortunately, this tactic is becoming less and less effective, since the hobby has just grown TOO much. Elitism alone doesn't work anymore. New methodology must be used to be proactive and prevent bans.

I would warn people to keep the tone of these proceedings PROACTIVE instead of spouting "doomsday" rants and panicked bickering. We are NOT Great Britain, and on the whole we have much better weapons laws than they could ever have hoped for in the first place. We are CITIZENS and not subjects. Most of us, excluding felons, have the right to own real weapons of many varieties. Some of us have the right to carry concealed handguns. These liberties are part of the American tradition, and we shouldn't forget that we have them. The Brits have to deal with *beep* like bans on long straight-blade kitchen knives and other frivolous BS. We haven't gotten nearly to that point yet, so don't go panicking. Just think proactively.

There are many ways to align ourselves under this common cause of preventing airsoft bans. My ideas of the most important ways to do this:

1) The Retailers- US Retailers are growing in both size and number. They have the biggest stake in this since their livelihood depends on selling airsoft. Many of them are experienced with PR and have access to more funds than the average person by himself. There are some loose alliances of them, like AirsoftNetwork, but a nationwide airsoft retailers association would be a great step forward. Also there's the "international airsoft retailers association" but I'm unsure of their status. Their website was down as of today.

2) Regional Airsoft Associations- It's essential to have players associations and event organizers on local and regional levels. These types of groups typically organize safe, structured games and events (usually milsim) and provide a place to discuss airsoft. For example, in my general area, MilSim games are conducted by the Kansas City Airsoft Association and there is also a larger quasi-formal regional association called the Midwest Regional Airsoft Association which encompasses multiple states. Obviously the structure will differ depending how popular airsoft is in a given region of the country. In a state like California, airsoft is so big/popular that a state-association might be more appropriate than a regional one.

3) Government- I'm not saying you should alter who you vote for based solely on their gun rights stance, but consider at least exercising some political efficacy and contacting your state Senator or Governor about the issue. If you're below voting age, find someone of age to write for you. Obviously there are some key "battleground states" in which this petitioning should be happening right now--namely Florida, Illinois, and Massachusetts--and every letter a politician gets helps. Make your elected officials accountable so they don't try and sneak legislation past.

4) Proactivity- Boycott CyberGun. If we're to gain any ground, this company must be bankrupted, and quickly. Also people must take steps to actively discourage 10 year olds (and irresponsible adults alike) from buying cheapo springers for a "war" in their yard or driveway. I have physically stood near a Walmart airsoft display and flat-out told parents with their kids that "this may not be the best idea for your 8-year-old to play with unsupervised". If you aren't willing to do that too, think good and hard about the consequences for EVERY AIRSOFTER if said kid decides to do something stupid with the spring pistol. Be elitist, and remind parents that airsoft aren't toys for any random idiot to screw around with, especially kids, and especially in public.

---

Granted, it's hard to get everyone to fight under the same banner- Just look at all the dissent that the ABA generated among British players. A truly-representative National Airsoft Association might be a far-off goal, but it's still a good goal to have in the long run. Once strong regional organizations have taken root throughout the entire nation, these smaller groups could be the basis of a national delegation dedicated to the preservation of airsoft.

I'd love to help in anyway that I can. I think there is a SouthEast Pennsylvania Airsoft Association - which I'm going to do some reseach on and then join if I can.

I think one idea might be to get all U.S. retailers on board with some kind of national association and then have them sell a membership packet. Maybe it could include some sort of shipping discount when buying online, a patch to put on your BDUs or whatever, some literature, etc... it would cost 15$ or 20$ and then a 5$ a year dues or something.

I don't know - just throwing ideas out there. All I know is, organization could be a great thing if its done professionally and properly to let officials know that there are a lot of us out there, and we'll vote accordingly if anyone starts talking about a ban.

Wait, why would they ban airsoft in the states?

In a country were I can get a hold of a real gun I don't think they really give a sh#t about people with toy guns.

Because every week theres another story about some stupid kid bringing a "replica fire arm that shoots plastic pellets" to school or some other public place. The cops will end up shooting some some stupid little kid with a $10 springer, and no one wants that. Thats what's going to get our sport banned, dumb kids brandishing cheap walmart/jungle toy springers like they're real weapons.

I think the only real way to get things done is to get the american retailers (aex, etc) behind this cause.

Just a quick informational thing, does anyone here ever buy things from walmart\*rickrolls*\sports authority?(airosft related) Because if anyone is supplying 10$ springers to kids it would be them... Maybe not just boycott Cybergun but stores like these, I doubt that it wold make them do anything as there such large companys.

None, FL\MA are trying to. I just want to do somthing before somthing happens (in my state) and on a Federal Level. Thanks for the help R22 ill have to look into the VCR fourm.

Edit: I'm toying with the idea of creating a National Airsoft Players / Owners Association, if anyone can\would like to help then contact me, or just post here.

Edit: If anyone wants to instantly talk directly to me Aim: EverReadyEverWil

Not true, in Michigan airsoft guns are banned (but alot of my friends there have them and none enforces it)

Not true, in Michigan airsoft guns are banned (but alot of my friends there have them and none enforces it)

Yea sorry I wasn't thinking straight I believe NYC has a ban, not just on airsoft though.

Mabye write letters to WalMart explaining our proposition

Yes, ask walmart to stop selling a product, IE loose sales. I don't think they will go for it.

does anyone know any law enforcement officers or military who participate in our activities? perhaps have them promote the image that perhaps airsoft is a viable development tool for creating future law enforcement agents or "patriots" amongst the community.

I am active duty military, and while airsoft is a great tool for me being military as well as law enforcement, haveing a "Spokesman" that has the credintials and background as myself and I am sure numerous others on this board may not be the best idea. At that point you begin to spin a "militia" type impression of airsoft...then terms like para-military start getting thrown around and that is way bad ju-ju. It could have positives but I am sure that it would need to really be looked at in depth. As far as people wanting to "Ban" Crossman Softair guns and cheap cyma, etc..that would be thw worst thing. If you are looking to get this more mainstream or at least accepted then you really need that outlet. If it's at Wal-Mart then it's not that bad accorsding to the masses.

Education is your best bet.

Everreadyeverwil and I are drafting a letter to the NRA to create a daughter organization called the NAA, or National Airsoft Association. It would be regulated by the NRA and would have its lawyers and such defend us in court should our sport be threatend.

We have an application for a forum thing (I guess) in the process of being approved.

~P

EverReadyEverWil, its me, "theblackjew2" from aol

NAA is already an organazation, National Archery Association... (Bows, and arrows, an olympic style FITA archery....

I think that a bunch of us US airsofters should get together in different regions of the country and have demonstrations, trials, and free skirmishes at sights that are televised by local news channels. This would be an excellent way to get the word out. Anyone interested?

about the news thing, my father ownes a retail store, and we have been trying to get the news people to come and do a thing on one of our games, and tour our manufacturing facility, and there all interested , willing, and think that airsoft is the coolest thing, since.... cereal in a bag, instead of a box! lol but our area news, and head people seem to love it (Yakima Washington)

even though our govener is a liberal "CUN" with a "T" at the end, our town seems to like, we have many law inforcement officers involved, from our town, to surrounding areas... even my high school officer in involved with the whole airsoft thing, loves it...

so getting it out into the public eye might be a good thing... but a bad thing also... there are always anti gun people.. (75% of all layers in the world reside in the U.S., and 75% of that 75% reside in Cali.. fun sheitte huh???)

It would really hurt alot of people to TOTALY 100% ban airsoft, like AEX, spartan imports (CA) and many other places... including me, as we manufacture airsoft replicas.... so there is one thing to consider also...

i got an idea!!! if they ban airsoft, so we cant shoot at eachother, with less that lethal velocity bb's, we should all go out and buy real guns, and start shooting at eachother, and then they will see what a bad idea it was to ban such a fun thing.... (but then they will think we were a bunch of stupid a$$'s for doing such a thing... but whatever)

another idea: all airsofters, but lots of land, and we can make our own country, where airsoft is all we do, and the goverment cant tell us what to do!, but that would be verry expensive... (sometimes, dont u all wish you were billy gates??)

but if they do ban airsoft, alot of companies, and manufacturing plants will be hurt, because airsoft in the US is a pretty big chunk of money for TM, CA, ICS, G&G, and many more......

if it comes to ban, god, kill me, while im holding my AEG......

Yea sorry I wasn't thinking straight I believe NYC has a ban, not just on airsoft though.

Yes, ask walmart to stop selling a product, IE loose sales. I don't think they will go for it.

<--- works at a Walmart and knows that will not happen, In all truth this is going to be an uphill battle and major corporations do not care about us its all about the money is money and that is the goal.

If they ban airsoft, we should all build costom guns that shoot 6mm plastic pellets using compressed air, put them into shells resembling real guns, call them "decreased velocity airguns", and run around shooting each other. That would be quite harder for the government to ban. :P

Archived