Star SL-9

Carson

Ok, fair point. But surely you could replace the major components with far better ones, such as gears, motor, piston, piston head, spring, barrel, etc. It way me a little costly, but surely you'd get some thing awsome at the end of it.

You can say that about every AEG, in that case you can buy ANY gun cos your gonna replace the entire insides anyway, doesn't matter about the stock performance at all.

But that the thing, we want RELIABLE models at stock performance, I want something to work straight off, knowing it will work fine and won't give me any hassle, if i want to upgrade will that's my choice, i don't want to upgrade because I HAVE to.

<_<

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stuntman posted a picture of a REAL SL9 in his IWA thread:

Except its not an "SL9" - its the German/European version of the SL8, with the option of bipod and carrying handle.

Here's a picture from the official H&K Hunting and Sport Weapons website:

sl8_mitklappbein.jpg

Heckler & Koch Jagd- und Sportwaffen GmbH

The only "SL9" that exists for real is the SL9SD.

http://www.hkpro.com/contents.htm

You can say that about every AEG, in that case you can buy ANY gun cos your gonna replace the entire insides anyway, doesn't matter about the stock performance at all.

But that the thing, we want RELIABLE models at stock performance, I want something to work straight off, knowing it will work fine and won't give me any hassle, if i want to upgrade will that's my choice, i don't want to upgrade because I HAVE to.

<_<

Well said. +1 on you sir.

<_<

And thats the reason why I'm not buying a Star L85. I'd love to have one, but I'm not about to do a total internal upgrade immediately after buying it.

And thats the reason why I'm not buying a Star L85. I'd love to have one, but I'm not about to do a total internal upgrade immediately after buying it.

That's the reason I'm not buying any STAR AEG yet, as I have yet to see proof that they have ironed out the bugs.

Except its not an "SL9" - its the German/European version of the SL8, with the option of bipod and carrying handle.

Here's a picture from the official H&K Hunting and Sport Weapons website:

http://www.heckler-kochjs.de/media/Produkt...itklappbein.jpg

Heckler & Koch Jagd- und Sportwaffen GmbH

The only "SL9" that exists for real is the SL9SD.

http://www.hkpro.com/contents.htm

Beat me to it. There is zero evidence of a non-SD SL9 out there. It's not mentioned on any Hk site worldwide, or any Hk fan sites or other prominent weapons sites out there.

It's important to understand that the SL9SD is chambered for .300 whisper, a round is designed to be subsonic from the muzzle. This round is great for suppressed applications but not really a good choice for other applications. Though supersonic versions of the round exist (they perform like the russian 7.62x39 round), it was expressly designed with suppressed applications in mind.

Presumably a non-SD SL9 would also be chambered for this same round, but this would be against the design intent of .300 whisper and the SL9SD. The whole point of the thing is to be quiet. Considering the PSG1 and MSG90 exist in Hk's current line up there's really little reason for an non-SD SL9. Both of these guns would be more effective than an SL9 firing supersonic loads of .300 whisper.

So while a non-SD SL9 could potentially exist in a lab somewhere deep inside Hk's volcano lair, there's little point in them offering it for sale. Combine that with the fact that there is no evidence to support it's existence, it is easy so see the Star SL9 is pretty much just an SL8 with the wrong name and some cosmetic differences.

I'm just hoping they release that SL9 stock as a separate aftermarket part. I already have the whole CA36 lineup, and putting that stock on the bottom gun in this pic, with some STAR short mags would give me the same gun essentially, for probably 1/5 the price:

Not going to happen. The body itself is different too, you couldn't just put the thumbhole stock on the G36 body.

Beat me to it. There is zero evidence of a non-SD SL9 out there. It's not mentioned on any Hk site worldwide, or any Hk fan sites or other prominent weapons sites out there.

It's important to understand that the SL9SD is chambered for .300 whisper, a round is designed to be subsonic from the muzzle. This round is great for suppressed applications but not really a good choice for other applications. Though supersonic versions of the round exist (they perform like the russian 7.62x39 round), it was expressly designed with suppressed applications in mind.

Presumably a non-SD SL9 would also be chambered for this same round, but this would be against the design intent of .300 whisper and the SL9SD. The whole point of the thing is to be quiet. Considering the PSG1 and MSG90 exist in Hk's current line up there's really little reason for an non-SD SL9. Both of these guns would be more effective than an SL9 firing supersonic loads of .300 whisper.

So while a non-SD SL9 could potentially exist in a lab somewhere deep inside Hk's volcano lair, there's little point in them offering it for sale. Combine that with the fact that there is no evidence to support it's existence, it is easy so see the Star SL9 is pretty much just an SL8 with the wrong name and some cosmetic differences.

Bingo, managed to put it much more effectively then I did earlier. :D

I'm just hoping they release that SL9 stock as a separate aftermarket part. I already have the whole CA36 lineup, and putting that stock on the bottom gun in this pic, with some STAR short mags would give me the same gun essentially, for probably 1/5 the price:

http://www.mojji.com/en/pick-up/sl8.htm, not made by star, but you could mod your g36 to a SL-8 with this kit. Comes with everything but a TM g36. But then again, this is pretty much the same as buying a sl-9 conversion kit. So I guess this is kinda pointless.

Come to think if it I don't even know why I posted that, it isn't what you were looking for, and this thing costs like 450bucks. Ignore everything I wrote.

Not going to happen. The body itself is different too, you couldn't just put the thumbhole stock on the G36 body.

In that case, how do the conversion kits work? Do they include an entire change of reciever to fit the keyhole stock? other than some choice internals, what remains of the TM G36c after you've put on a kit?

In that case, how do the conversion kits work? Do they include an entire change of reciever to fit the keyhole stock? other than some choice internals, what remains of the TM G36c after you've put on a kit?

I guess you haven't even looked at the kit if you're asking that. Of course it comes with a receiver. Have a look at the kit and see for yourself what it comes with: http://starairsoft.com/S_Kit_04.htm

The TM parts required are listed in the instructions:

http://starairsoft.com/S_KIT_04_4A.HTM

http://starairsoft.com/S_KIT_04_4B.HTM

http://starairsoft.com/S_KIT_04_4C.HTM

What remains? The hanguard, the receiver, the stock, the carry handle with iron sights, an few other bits.

The kit was always way too expensive for my blood, so no, didn't look too closely at it.

That's really disappointing if that keyhole stock won't make for a possible aftermarket part :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
The SL9 is in fact a real gun; it's a civified version of the G36 meant for the US market. Or am I thinking of the SL8?

That would be the SL8, not the SL9. While calling it a civified G36 is accurate, SL8s actually have a few notable advantages and disadvantages over the G36. Everything on the SL8 is match grade, which is superior to the milspec stuff used in the G36(Match grade barrels for example typically have a tighter twist and more accuracty than their milspec counterparts). The SL8 has a couple of iterations. The Euro SL8 is compatible with the G36 magazines, while the US SL8 is not(because of that lame assault weapons ban).

Actually posted pics of my RS SL8 in the H&K picture thread. It's my 3-gun match rifle, hence the snazzy dual optic setup I've got on it(which is far superior imho to the G36 carry handle.).

Thanks for the info. That's a pretty long inner barrel.

That would be the SL8, not the SL9. While calling it a civified G36 is accurate, SL8s actually have a few notable advantages and disadvantages over the G36. Everything on the SL8 is match grade, which is superior to the milspec stuff used in the G36(Match grade barrels for example typically have a tighter twist and more accuracty than their milspec counterparts). The SL8 has a couple of iterations. The Euro SL8 is compatible with the G36 magazines, while the US SL8 is not(because of that lame assault weapons ban).

Actually posted pics of my RS SL8 in the H&K picture thread. It's my 3-gun match rifle, hence the snazzy dual optic setup I've got on it(which is far superior imho to the G36 carry handle.).

I believe that there is no SL9, the only version is the SL9SD which is a silenced version. The SL8 uses the 5.56mm round which is the same as the G36 where as SL9SD is a 7.62mm round gun.

Archived