the UKASC migration thread

Rack

Im not sure that the current message on ASCUK is actually set by the moderators. I noted the line about multi-million pound mansion and thought "that sounds like major sarcasm on the part of the hacker".

Not for a second do I believe that is a genuine message by the ASCUK mods.

It is confirmed by the owners, Fluffy confirmed it on UKAN. theres a right slagging match going on at the moment, I think UKAN will be following soon:

FLUFFY (OWNER)

"Confirmed.

tata."

I dont know why they went all haxxor on it though, not the way I'd choose to go.

(edit: just seen your post marlowe, know this ain't welcoming but just wanted to have everyone in the clear, cheers)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No the message is genuine.

View the source to read between the lines. ASCUK has, was and always will of been privately funded.

Im reading the UKAN thread about it now. Looks like I was wrong (wont be the first time!).

Oh, and a warm welcome to all the new members!

I have to wonder how many ASCUK sycophantic regulars who were all "Arnies am teh loo5erz" will now pop up on here...

Im reading the UKAN thread about it now.  Looks like I was wrong (wont be the first time!).

In which case no doubt you are witnessing me getting a little stressed and using blue language. ;)

Arnies is a younger audience which is my main reason for prefering ASCUK as well as it's more British bent and larger userbase.

All the personal ###### whilst I'm closer to the ASCUK admin team than Arnies passed me by in a little confusion. Besides it doesn't look like theres much else anymore.

I'm afraid you'll be dissapointed though - usual response I get off people who meet me for the first time is 'oh...you're shorter than I thought...'  <_<

I was gonna say that..

But with the exception of Ubar, everyone is short :P

Personally if ASCUK dies (which I think is unlikely) I quite liked having all my skirmish sites in one place to do bookings and stuff.

The tech support forums were occasionally helpful, and had some very smart people on there.

I stayed away from the main discussion tho, didnt seem as light hearted as this place :)

I had more posts on ASCUK because of the booking/organising. But not that many more. I think both sites are/were great:)

Arnies is a younger audience which is my main reason for prefering ASCUK as well as it's more British bent and larger userbase.

All the personal ###### whilst I'm closer to the ASCUK admin team than Arnies passed me by in a little confusion. Besides it doesn't look like theres much else anymore.

Can't say I've ever understood it either - wasn't really active at the time though. Was having a chat with 'Dude' at LFU last weekend and he seemed right as rain with me. I think, especially with what's happened, it's best to try and bury the hatchet as I've always asked people to, as in the current situation such old issues won't achieve anything. :)

It's fairly fair to say that Arnies does have a lot of younger members, as well as more of an international feel to it. I think the younger side is because we try to be friendly in our approach (as much as we can at least - there's always some obnoxious brats who'll push our buttons), but I've no idea how we've managed to get the international aspect going. I must say I quite like it as it means I regularly have the opportunity to deal with folks from around the world, including Chinese, Israelis, and so on.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses I guess. I use several airsoft forums, one of which was ASCUK, but I posted mainly here as the atmosphere suited me. Everyone has their preferences, and everyone's welcome here - well, so long a they follow the rules that is. :)

I think the international feel is brought about by the news service and lack of UK Site Forums.

The company I work for has 11 nationalities spanning the globe working there so I get my fill of internationalness everyday. :)

Hiya. Distant Thunder checking in here.

We're just looking around at the moment at somewhere to pop our forum, at the moment I'm leaning towards popping a forum on the Distant Thunder Website, but would be good to have somewhere to put announcements out.

Arnies seems pretty friendly to me though.

FWIW I think fluffy just got a bit fed up with being hacked and whacked and finally chose to throw in the towl, just like I suspect most people would. ASCUK were good to Distant Thunder over the last 2 years though, and I'm sure looking back we can agree that they played a valuable role in keeping the Airsoft community together.

Hiya. Distant Thunder checking in here.

We're just looking around at the moment at somewhere to pop our forum, at the moment I'm leaning towards popping a forum on the Distant Thunder Website, but would be good to have somewhere to put announcements out.

Arnies seems pretty friendly to me though.

Welcome to all the new folks who've posted. :)

Big K: If you want a backup / duplicate forum here BigK, feel free to get in touch with Arnie or R22master. Can't see it hurting - at least raises awareness of the event a bit. :)

ok i have been here for a good while now but was at ASCUK for a little longer and did most trades there!

i had the same user name there as here and UKAN .

P.S Dude was at LFU bugger i would have like to have caught up with him again , hopefully he will be there when we go back up but it's a long journey for us (160 miles+ each way)

ok i have been here for a good while now but was at ASCUK for a little longer and did most trades there!

i had the same user name there as here and UKAN .

P.S Dude was at LFU bugger i would have like to have caught up with him again , hopefully he will be there when we go back up but it's a long journey for us (160 miles+ each way)

Shame to see ASCUK go. I've been a member of Arnies since i've been a member of ASCUK. I'm not an arnies hater, however in my opinion ASCUK was far the better site. More popular, more discussion, better forum sections, more contact with the people that matter in airsoft - sites, retailers, event organisers etc. - Not that I dislike arnies, that's just the way it was..

Hopefully we can incorporate what we'll miss from ASCUK into arnies now.

Not true on both counts :) .

It contained the team and site forums for most of the teams, sites and large events in the UK that alone made the traffic much higher. Not to mention the burdgeoning sales section.

It's a shame to see those two bits disappear.

The General Discussion and Non-Airsoft bits were a tiny fraction of the ASCUK forums whereas they make a significant majority of Arnies. I enjoy Arnies, some of the political threads whilst they can get heated are at least interesting. Reminds me of UKAN in its heyday.

Whilst I'm not trying to start a them versus us style argument if you are going to say something that isn't true please stick to something believable. :)

I agree that it is a shame to see ASCUK go. That does not mean it is a shame to see the ASCUK moderating team go.

It really does show just how rubbish they really were, closing the forum with no notice, sales falling through. They should have at least given people notice so they can arrange alternate contact details for sales (that happened here when we were going down for about 3 days), or even offered to let someone else take over the running of the site.

Id call it a draw Sales section on ASC is (was) definately far larger tech and general airsoft chat far smaller

it really comes down to what sections of each folks use(d) - anyone just in for a bit of general banter and tech threads would probably see arnies as being the larger more active of the two with more ongoing threads etc, whereas foks using the site specific forums sales forums etc on ASC would view ASC as being the daddy with stuff constanty on the go in those sections

all academic now though i suppose

I agree that it is a shame to see ASCUK go. That does not mean it is a shame to see the ASCUK moderating team go.

It really does show just how rubbish they really were, closing the forum with no notice, sales falling through. They should have at least given people notice so they can arrange alternate contact details for sales (that happened here when we were going down for about 3 days), or even offered to let someone else take over the running of the site.

Unfortunately it would of helped if any of the moderating team actually knew it was going to happen. It also left them in the same boat regarding sales with at least one of the Admin team being left mid-sale. The moderation was definately 'no frills' but it worked well unless you repeatedly got on the wrong side of it.

If you have an unresolved deal I suggest you post the information on the relevant forum here and on UKAN.

Archived