the UKASC migration thread

Rack

Unfortunately it would of helped if any of the moderating team actually knew it was going to happen. It also left them in the same boat regarding sales with at least one of the Admin team being left mid-sale. The moderation was definately 'no frills' but it worked well unless you repeatedly got on the wrong side of it.

If you have an unresolved deal I suggest you post the information on the relevant forum here and on UKAN.

I personally wasn't using ASCUK but I know that sales would have been *fruitcage*ed up. Also I'm sorry if it sounded like I was having a go at the whole moderating team it was meant to be just a select few.

Was it fluffy who decided to close the site or someone else?

Also, just out of interest, would and of you have been interested in taking over the site?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again, I'll put out the polite requests for folks to not slip into slagging off individuals, especially when they're not here to speak for themselves.

Also, I think that comparisons are fair enough but if possible, I'd like to ask that people don't start world war three over it, as that's the sort of thing that forces the mod team here to have to close threads etc.

So far everything's been fairly amicable, but it's obviously going to be sore spot, especially for the chaps who've just lost their online home, so I'd just like to ask that everyone respect the views of one another and not attempt to argue the toss over it.

All of the forums serve (or served) a purpose and catered to the different preference of each member. There'll always be aspects of one forum that anyindividual finds better than another, but as long as we all accept that's the case and just get on with things everyone should get along swimmingly. :)

Also, just out of interest, would any of you have been interested in taking over the site?

I don't think any of us were particularly happy to see ASCUK go.

BTW I'm not part of the ASCUK mod team, just UKAN.

Marlowe - As a member and active user on all three forums I can see their respective advantages. My personal opinion is that ASCUK provided the heavyweight services to the British Airsofter (sales, retailers, sites and team forums) something that will be sorely missed right now.

Sad to see a chunk of British airsoft online dropp off the radar.. but when you think abou tit: the data and input that made the forum what it was came from ordinary people who are now looking for somewhere new to provide that information. So it'll still be around, if we're lucky it'll come here, even if not, just means going to one of the other big airsoft forums.

Of the other 'big three' forums one had moderators that went into closed threads to insult people where others couldn't fight back, made me not want to use anything but arnie's.

Welcome to all the new people, I don't really care where you're from - it's all new blood and can't complain about that (plus it'll boost the number of Brits here, not that I'm Xenophobic, but just menas more relevent information to me).

Hope you settle in nicely (just read and understand the rules, best possible start and all that)

Marlowe - As a member and active user on all three forums I can see their respective advantages. My personal opinion is that ASCUK provided the heavyweight services to the British Airsofter (sales, retailers, sites and team forums) something that will be sorely missed right now.

Chimpy, wasn't directed at you mate - sorry if you got that impression. I'm not going to pick out members but it was more aimed at the ones trying to strike up a debate over what forum has / had the best content, etc etc. :)

Very immature way to close it. Pretending it was hacked and then just closing it without warning. So many deals were part way through and now people are left with no goods and payment sent or vice versa. Even if they did stick it back up I wouldn't cross the road to ###### on them if they were on fire.

I'm taking my ball and going home.

while i don't agree with the way it was closed, or for that matter some of the "well if you don't like it stick it in your f#ing tailpipe" god complex modding by some, i will miss ASC because its where i first found to get into airsofting and it was a valuable resource. tbph the fact that they got hacked i figured was because they'd pee'd someone off with the god complex issues. it was bound to happen sooner or later and if i was the owner i'd prolly have jacked it in too. who knows it may be back, lets hope eh?

thing is the mods were like rotwielers if you were nicey nicey to em they were fine, but spill your tea in their basket and you were suddenly missing your arm. and i'll make a note of saying not all the mods were like this some of them were exceptionally friendly and helpfull. just like arnies is.

i also never got the rivalry thing, i never understood it. i just guess arnie spilled his tea or sommat... (you can shoot one handed can't you arn?)

to any who've come to arnies from ASC we do miss it, its a shame its closed but we'd like to welcome you to a new home, stay enjoy, keep airsoft alive.

btw i'm a geardo and i need feeding.

pete

Welcome to all you ASCUK people :D

I used to post on there from time to time (but still prefered Arnies due to the evilness of the ASC mods ;))

The great thing about this is that now our For Sale section is going to increase in size dramatically, which is nice as I can now get hold of even more cheap gear in one place :D.

Hopefully the skirmish sites will migrate over here (instead of UKAN)...nothing against UKAN, I'm just not registered on there yet ;)

Ill miss ASCUK because quite simply, it WAS the best site as far as booking games was concerned. This made it the easiest to use for a new player like me. And I remember the brill 10+ page thread where lots of people were helping me get into the hobby and we were having a great laugh as well. Im indebted to everyone who took part in that :)

On the other hand...well, there was the time I was trying to help a friend of mine who runs a security company in the US and was starting to sell airsoft stuff. I had direct contact with Ranger Supply Co and was helping to answer queries because Ranger's website 'contact us' code wasnt working. And I was threatened with a ban. WHAT????

And the time I was threatened for using the Coke Can Test because I was scared one of my guns was firing over 1J. Oh, and when a player at Unreal (not a staff member, or even a team member) mouthed off on Unreals PRIVATE forum...and got Unreal's ASCUK sub-forum kicked off and ALL posters within threatened with a ban. (for anyone who wants to know, there were rumours spread by persons unknown but suspected...that Unreal had shut down. This is untrue...they have just opened their 3rd site).

Even at gaming sites, people would speak in hushed tones about ASCUK mods, not knowing whether what they said would be reported back. Well, just like what the dog said to the neutered cat..."I call a Spayed a Spayed" :P

I wonder how many ASCUK sycophants will shuffle over here, probably changing their usernames and loyalties in the process.

Nuts, UKAN, me old home from way back in yesteryear, when the forum was blue and the people happy and helpful...

Hey ho, it's only a bleedin' forum on the Internet! It's the people that make this sport / hobby / obsession what it is, and the people are still around even if the forums aren't.

oh well, a shame to be sure.

I was a user of both ASCUK and Arnies and to be honest, both had their good and bad.

ASCUK was the springboard for me getting into airsofting and I shall always have fond memories for that (I shall damn it forever for the subsequent amount of money airsofting has cost me though).

I had my fair share of 'run ins' with the characters of ASCUK, but then I have always said my mind and stuck to my word. It didnt go down too well, but I stuck to my guns and eventually the smell went away.

I am sad about the loss of the Sniper Haven, because IMPO it was a much better layout than the 'Perch'. There was much more definition to the realm of Bolt Actions and Sniper Tactics which meant less random questions, easier to find the relevant information you require and a much more directed approach to it.

If you ask me, the Perch could do with being expanded to become more like it, rather than being one massive thread with repeats of the same information.

Welcome to all those who slink over, good to see you. For those that had a chip on thier shoulder and have slinked over anyway....

Here's some Humble Pie.

Archived