Which do you prefer?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• XBOX 360
    • PS3

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DoctorG, well said. Honestly I agree with a lot of your points. It is funny to see the PS2 fanboys now trying to justify the size of the George Foreman Grill...err. I mean PS3. The 360 is awesome in that it's like 15-20 percent smaller than the XBOX, too bad almost all that mass went into the power supply.

That said, the PS3 has lost almost all of it's original killer titles, I wouldn't be surprised to see Square and Konami start jumping ship, remember we DID get MGS2 on the xbox, so Konami isn't Sony's bed buddy completely.

Now the only bone I have to pick with you is 1080P, frankly 1080P is worth it. As a guy who shoots HD, has edited it, and is now being certified to master HDDVDs I can say this, 1080P is king. Especially for scenes of lots of movements the motion fidelity is much better. Right now almost all decent tvs are moving towards or have 1080P resolutions. Keep in mind 1080i is where the industry sets the bar as needing to achieve as far as resolutions. However to achieve 1080P is simply as hard as having a tv and a high definition content delivery system working together that are capable of 1080P. My Pioneer plasma can't do 1080P so frankly no biggy, but if I could I'd hit 1080P as fast as possible. Ultimately it's a future proof standard, so I'm glad Sony is going with that, too bad about blu-ray sucking.

Here's what sucks for the consumer, Blu-Ray certainly is schnazzy, but ultimately HD DVD is going to win because it was out first, cheaper, and there are already HDDVD recorders on the horizon. Those factors are the same reason why VHS killed beta. Frankly sony shot themselves in the foot, and keep doing it with blu-ray. Hell, the HD DVD consortium even tried to work with sony to make a unified technology standard to avoid a pissing match like what we see now, but nooooooo...sony had to go on a their ego trip. btw, who actually associates sony with quality electronics these days anyways? They're like the bose of the electronics world, used to be hot, now just coasting on brand recognition.

Okay, end of rant.

Surely everyone answering this question HAS to have the same answer?

X-Box 360. My reason is that it's the only one that is out yet, and therefore there is nothing to prefer it to.

If your real question was "Which one will you buy when they're both out?" my answer would still be X-Box 360.

My reason? I'm not a console fanboy, I'm a game fanboy - the Halo series. It's the only thing I play at home on my X-Box, so assuming that Halo 3 will be as good as Halo 2, I'm there.

CC

Titleist (or anyone), does Sony require all PS3 games to be 1080p? How about for 360?

Also, if I have a TV with a native resolution of 1080p, and some game only displays at a lower resolution (like 720p), will the game look messed up (like how playing on 800x600 on a 1280x1024 LCD screen looks all jagged)?

What do you mean?

So far other companies are using Blu-ray, toshiba, etc...but the problem is that the US market isn't that interested in Blu-Ray. And not to sound elitist but if you go back and track DVD and VHS you can clearly see that the US has decided which format wins because the studios ultimately put out their material on a given format and the strength of those sales and format then affect other markets, in this case Japan or the UK/EU.

So right now where you want to look is the US and see which format is doing as the sales of HD DVD or blu ray even in japan are a drop in the bucket compared to potential US sales.

Titleist (or anyone), does Sony require all PS3 games to be 1080p? How about for 360?

Also, if I have a TV with a native resolution of 1080p, and some game only displays at a lower resolution (like 720p), will the game look messed up (like how playing on 800x600 on a 1280x1024 LCD screen looks all jagged)?

Currently yes they're saying 1080P as standard, will it look worse, no not really. The best way to test this out is to put on some broadcast HD, which by default is 720p.

Again what will determine your quality is the quality and ability of your tv's internal scaler. I.e it's electronics bits and bobs that can take a 480i/p image or 720 or whatever and scale it to your tv's internal operating resolution. That's why when you go into a store that has cheap o plasma's and it looks too good to be true and it turns out it usually is. A good tv can flex it's resolution, i.e it can take images bigger or smaller than it's resolution and scale them down or up accordingly. Till we're all on 1920x1080p tvs this is an important thing.

Keep in mind that the PS3 SHOULD be able to do that work for you, i.e take a 720p native game and up res it to 1080p, but again we'll see. At this point it's all conjecture.

Still, I'm sticking with the 360, don't get me wrong, I'm gonna get a PS3, not on launch day though. And definitely not for blu-ray playback. I'm banking on HDDVD, but that said I'm waiting till the price drops and the quality of titles improve, which it most definitely will. If you remember DVD players used to cost 2-3,000 dollars, now a really high end one at most is 3-400 bucks, and anything below that is still great quality. HDDVD and Blu-ray are insanely expensive because right now the consumer only has 1-2 HDDVD players to chose from and 1, count 'em ONE, 1k dollar bluray player to chose from.

Forza > Gran Turismo :D

Hell yes, GT used to be cool until it umm...got boring. Forza took the best parts of GT and made if more fun, better looking, and more customizable. And frankly it plays a lot better.

So far besides Final Fantasy (oooh that's a beacon of originality, same game 30 versions later) and Metal Gear Solid, of which I would NOT be surprised if Konami jumps ship from Sony.

Sorry I just hate the logic of "this ONE game is on this system so I'm buying that system" Okay so when you buy a TV do you buy it just to watch ONE show? Seems ridiculous logic to me frankly.

When I plunk down the money for a system it's for the promise of great games. Okay show me ONE launch title that looks like it's worth spending 600 dollars for on the PS3? Seriously, go ahead. I'll play MGS4 (i.e Kojima is cool, but goddamn boy, make some goddamn sense in your games) but that comes out well into 2007.

Archived