Standard Rifle to Replace M4's/M16's

Fuser

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should use that rifle from the film Deep Rising (I think that's the right film, it's got Famke Janssen in it). Rotary barrel, *fruitcage* awesome rate of fire. Imagine a platoon of soldiers coming at you with one of those each. I'd cack meself.

goddamn I need pics of that gun... been looking for it for years...

No, I don't think it's a Calico, Doc. That's assuming you're talking about the one with the 50/100 round rotary magazine with the rear sight on the mag, and the shells drop down.

I'm gonna go see if I can find a pic of it

EDIT: here's a half decent pic of it

e6_1.JPG

Somehow, it also turned up this image...

119068393_cb5671bd32_m.jpg

The follower is operated by the spiral spring, located at the rear of the cylinder. Magazine is equipped with winding handle, so it can be stored loaded and with unwound spring, to avoid loss of spring tension during the storage time. When required, magazine spring could be quickly wound up by rotating the handle to prepare magazine for fire.

And who said hi-caps are unrealistic?

Graham

Ok - well i didn't read the thread. Don't hate me for it, but it looked a bit long and drawn out...

To the point. Why would they replace the M16/M4? What problems does it have?

The M16A1 was actually a very potent rifle which the only drawbacks where constant cleaning and it didnt shoot out to 600 yards. The US Army Marksmanship Unit refused to use the M16 for their target shooting due to its inaccuracy at 600 yards. So the military made the M16A2 which is basically a target shooting rifle. They changed the rifling in the barrel from 1:9 to 1:7 due to the worry of having to go through bodyarmor. Thus ruined the M16's advantage, bullet failure. The early M16s when fired with the old ammo, would break apart in the target. The new ammo when not hitting body armor first goes through like a needle through cloth. If the military just updated the rifle but kept the old ammo and rifling all of these reports of targets not going down when shot. So basically making the M16 into a target rifle messed up its abilty to bring someone down in one or two shots.

Well with any major military change there is one thing: Money.

The cost to REPLACE All/some M16/M4s currently in service would be astronomical.

However the cost to UPGRADE would be significantly less.

So the simplest thing to do would be either to upgrade the internals (Rifleing/whatever is inside the gun that makes it shoot) or maby Replace the barrels and adopt a new higher caliber (While still being able to fit in STANAG Magazines) AFAIK either 6.5 or 6.8 could do this.

I see the M16 being in service for many more years.

I also see people being deployed, unloading a full mag into some dude then taking their AK and using it for the rest of their deployment.

I mean if it meant trading accuracy/range for power I'd stow my M16 and use that AK as much as I could.

(That would be cool if the military let you use whatever gun you want/could buy with your own money. I'd definately be rollin with the Famas. Maby it would be possible to up the calibur on that puppy too.

7.62 and a drum mag. :))

7.62x51mm NATO rounds will punch clean through 3 breeze-blocks.  There were complaints in NI/Ulster because they would go through houses of innocents during firefights. 

I guess the whole One Shot One Kill thing is out.

Any one catch that USMC video demonstrating how the AK could shoot through a whole freakin house.

It seems like our militarys are using the wrong tactics for entry/drug raids.

Just roll up in a HMMWV and dump on the building till the walls crumble. Then send a robot in with a gun to shoot anything that dosen't have a bullet already in it.

Archived