ACU

TheLair

ACU works in all environments.  It's not meant for close engagment camouflage, but works extremely well at distances of 100 meters or more.

So does everything else at 100 meters that has a slight green tint too it...

The way wars are going these days, closer engagements are becoming the norm, and as this is Plastic Death, you will still not have 100 meters between you and your enemy. Simple fact is that ACU does not help out all that much and the intent is to break up your pattern, at which it fails miserably. Go for BDUs, they are getting really cheap these days.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and as this is Plastic Death, you will still not have 100 meters between you and your enemy.

If you're in firing range, no, but I'd be willing to bet that most woodland sites are bigger than 100m x 100m. If you can stay hidden 100m away, you're outside your opponents' ranges. Therefore you are not going to get shot, and you can hopefully close the gap so you can shoot them.

Think beyond basic engagement ranges and the UCP pattern works quite well, actually. Close up it may very well be terrible, but as people have said, it has its place.

The area I play in looks alot like the area in the pics above. The main reason for me choosing ACU was the availability of it. There are many different pouches and whatnot in ACU compared to woodland. Besides I also like how it looks. But if Im going to stick out then forget about it.

I do also like MARPAT, which is probably better for the area Im in. But my main gripe was finding a vest that would match well with it. If someone could link me to a plate carrier or LBV in a MARPAT pattern I would really appreciate it.

Multicam is what I was originally going for, but it is very difficult to find.

USMC dont use Marpat vests, they use a CB OTV, it works with both woodland and desert marpat, i use a CIRAS with my marpat gear, but in gonna get another OTV, however many us marines have complained about the OTV

you can get decent OTV replicas on Ebay, i got my ACU one from there.

Yep, I have ACUs...I play in a urban desert area, and they work well for me.

I'm also in the process of painting my M4 so it looks good with ACUs.

The U.S. Military is trying to get away from black rifles and gear. One reason is, is that with Nightvision, I have heard that it lights up like white would under a black light. (Correct me if I'm wrong...)

-Vic

If you're in firing range, no, but I'd be willing to bet that most woodland sites are bigger than 100m x 100m. If you can stay hidden 100m away, you're outside your opponents' ranges. Therefore you are not going to get shot, and you can hopefully close the gap so you can shoot them.

Think beyond basic engagement ranges and the UCP pattern works quite well, actually. Close up it may very well be terrible, but as people have said, it has its place.

Im thinking beyond those engagements really, the thing is that I can easily assertain the pattern in a fully wooded enviroment. Already checked the effectiveness out with BDUs, MC and ACUs on a range and got to as best we could without spotting them. Took about 150yds to see the ACUs, 75 to see BDUs and 45 to get a good picture on MC. So, being that as it is, Ive only tried it in Wooded areas. Worked this out using an ACOG and an M3 scope as well as my Swarovski Spotters scope and one binocular pair. We did some work, and as we can tell, ACUs arent all that "Whoopdydo" for wooded enviroments.

the acu style bdus are Raid bdus

Yes and no, RAID MOD BDU's have features that the ACU's don't have. Like the D rings on the waist, the hidden velcro pocket in the waist line, alot fo the RAID mods I have see have doubled up pockets on the sleeves as well as velcro spots for Cords etc. Same basic design I guess though. I would venture to say that the ACU cut is RAID inspired.

Just to point something out. STOP SAYING BDU LIKE ITS A PATTERN!!

If by BDU you mean U.S. Woodland. Then say U.S. Woodland, or woodland, or usw or something. BDU stands for battle dress uniform. Not the pattern. This also applies to ACU, but saying ACU in regards to the pattern is not near as annoying as constantly saying "BDU".

/end rant.

Im thinking beyond those engagements really, the thing is that I can easily assertain the pattern in a fully wooded enviroment.  Already checked the effectiveness out with BDUs, MC and ACUs on a range and got to as best we could without spotting them.  Took about 150yds to see the ACUs, 75 to see BDUs and 45 to get a good picture on MC.  So, being that as it is, Ive only tried it in Wooded areas.  Worked this out using an ACOG and an M3 scope as well as my Swarovski Spotters scope and one binocular pair.  We did some work, and as we can tell, ACUs arent all that "Whoopdydo" for wooded enviroments.

Not saying it's amazing, just that it DOES work to some degree. Remember that it is a universal pattern, rather than something like MARPAT which has 2 versions. It's gonna fall down in some areas and not in others, and I can only guess that the US Army assumes that most future combat will not be in green areas.

Actually, when in the Army, we say BDU when refering to your "US Woodland" and DCU when refering to "US Tri-color Desert" and ACU when we refer to our new uniforms.

So, you're wrong.  Siddown and be quiet.

If you'd finished that with 'GTFO' I would be on the floor right now. So close.

Whew, that's good - becuase all my airsoft combat takes place at distances greater than 100 metres.  :P

I take it you play on a small field also. I never said anything about engament distances. Just that it works better at farther ranges, everyone else assumes the obvious.

Once a shot is taken camo is no longer needed. Good players can home in on the sound and search for the player. I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter what color the color of the uniform is for a regular player. You will still be hit on the field, during the game. The range distance is just to close, and no-one can hide for ever.

ok. so i just went out and managed to pick up an ACU issue top in my size. its pretty good cond, just one area where stitchings coming away (hence why its been sold on) easily fixable.

i LOVE it. ok i wasn't sure on the colour scheme at first but i really really love it. lucky find as its perfect size (Large-X-long) and it still has the IFF patches sewn on its comfy as hell. regular bdu's go right out the window (i usually get issue stuff tbh)

i've got a couple of questions tho. getting issue stuff is hard. and although i've got a top i need another and i'd like to get some trousers, helmet covers etc. i've heard that Propper are the actuall military contractor who make the ACU and sell it on the market also (as they're licenced)

i'm a geardo so ideally issue stuff or near as for me, can anyone confirm this? and if so does anyone know where i can get acu from that will ship to the uk?

also anyone know if anyone is willing to ship the IFF patches to the uk?

i'm impressed by it. useless in woodland but it makes you look the bomb.

pete

Actually, when in the Army, we say BDU when refering to your "US Woodland" and DCU when refering to "US Tri-color Desert" and ACU when we refer to our new uniforms.

Yes, but that's still just referring to the type of uniform, not the camouflage pattern. So he's not wrong.

Show me where in the US Army Regulations it says "US Woodland". It doesn't. It says "BDU" or "DCU" or (more recently) "ACU".

Even though BDU and DCU were both in the same cut (ie, they looked the same), they are still different uniforms. They were the only two uniforms. ACU is the only authorized uniform now, and so is only referred to as ACU.

Airsofters are the only ones who get confused about this it seems. GTFO me uniformz.

(See Havoc? I learn!)

Show me where in the US Army Regulations it says "US Woodland".  It doesn't.  It says "BDU" or "DCU" or (more recently) "ACU".

Yes because AR-670-1 is all about the appropriate usage and wearing of the UNIFORM - not the designation of the camouflage pattern.

However, if you check you will find that it is M83 Woodland Pattern camouflage used for the BDU and Universal Digital Camouflage Pattern used for the ACU - I can't remember off the cuff what the proper designation of the 3-colour desert pattern used for the DCU is.

:D

Aren't you both saying the same thing now? You've both said that the BDU is a four color woodland camoflauge pattern more or less. Wraith is correct, no one in the Army will refer to the BDU/DCU/ACU as anything else, why, because that's what it's called. Why is it called that, because like you said Maple, due to it's assigned camoflauge pattern.

Also, the wear out date for the BDU isn't until 08'. Don't try to take it away any sooner Wraith, I'm still wearing it every now and then for sentimental purposes!

AR 670-1

Check out Chapter 3 in reference to the BDU

Archived