Post Office/ Royal Mail beware!

slacky

Hey, to mods i thought this would be suitable here but move if appropriate.

Warning with using Royal Mail

After doing quite abit of trading on these forums Over the past 2 weeks, Three items have gone walkies

Its a disgrace, that the only way to ensure delivery of your item using Royal mail is to send packets via recorded delivery - And whats that min £1 per time?

So incase any sellers are unaware, you are legally entitled to obtain a Proof of postage for Every Item you send. It doesnt matter if thier is a huge queue behind you and the post worker gets annoyed due to them having to do more work, it is your Legal Right. Dont be stupid like me, take the time to ask and recieve a proof of postage everytime you post something, what takes a couple of minutes will save you money in the long run.

A proof of postage is on the bottom of your reciept. The post clerk will fill in the building name/number and postcode of every item you send and then stamp and date it. they dont do this automatically so you have to ask

/Rant over

It might be a complete conincidence but I've been posting airsoft items for about 8 years using Royal Mail now, and I "lost" two items in the post as well over the last week.. it's the first time it's ever happened. One was even sent recorded and has "gone missing" from the referencing system. Normally Royal Mail is excellent. I've sent hundreds of items without a problem.

i sent a parcel abroad via international signed for with £150 insurance, strangely enough it went walkies at heathrow on the same day, even though it was lost in this country, Royal Mail will take 3 months to reimburse me because it was an international order.

I will never send valuable items abroad using Royal Mail ever again.

I work in a post office and you are covered upto £32 1st class. Had a parcel go missing few months ago and it turn up a month later on my door step. I always use recorded or special to make sure the person has had it and isnt pulling a fast one (mainly on my ebay items, Not blaming any of you guys). Because i know my postman he sometimes signs for me. If you get postage labels instead of stamps the print outs from the computer also count as Proof of posting.

Any thing of value I will only send special delivery. I have never had a Special go missing.

A friend of mine sent a MGC cap firing M4 and deactivated Colt 1911 to Scotland from Wales via Special delivery, and it went missing. He then had to go through the laborious process of making a claim. The post office would not accept an eBay receipt for the value of the M4, they insisted on a shop valuation. Anyway 6 weeks later they were just about ready to send him a cheque for £900.00 when he was arrested on suspicion of sending a section 5 firearm through the post.

Apparently the parcel was going through Bristol airport when it set alarms off, and the police armour at that airport inspected the 1911 and decided that although it had a deactivation proof mark, and had the barrel cut away and the breach milled away. It was still a live firearm (I know this because he wrote a report to my mate’s local police force, stating that parts of this gun could be removed and used on another gun. I.e.: The grips and trigger.). Anyway the short version is that the gun had to be sent up to the forensics laboratory in Manchester (Apparently they have some considerable experience with firearms.). Eventually they took one look at the proof mark and sent it back asking what all the fuss was about?

And my mate had the police come to his shop and hand both guns over the counter to him. The next day a cheque arrived for £900.00 from the post office. My mate didn’t deposit it though, he sent it back with a brief letter, and then packaged the guns up and sent them via private courier to the original buyer (Who was lived with the police.).

Elliot.

Ah yes....got a rather funny story.

I sold a UHC plastic revolver, the chap wasnt in a hurry so I shoved it 2nd class in the post. A week later it has not arrived and I was not pleased. a few days after that it turned up at the buyers house in a sealed forensics bag.....it seems that it got picked up at an airport and siaezed until the relaised it was plastic! :D Apart from that never lost anything except something that ghost_rider sent me that went missing.

• 1 month later...

YES! I've just received a cheque from Royal Mail.

Keep phoning them, and rather than trawling through the customer service menu (there isn't a queue system, if there aren't any advisers available the phone just hangs up) just dial a random number at the beginning (or use a pulse phone) and they put you straight through to an adviser.

All recently?

Hmm, not wishing to point fingers, but it's the christmas run-up. Lots of temporary RM staff, and lots more percieved value floating around the system. Might be why it's started happening recently...

But as McMadKat says. Recorded or special. Cuts down on lots of room for scamming...

• 2 weeks later...

ok sorry to necro post but at this time of year what is the expected delivery time of a 1st class parcel posted on the 1st december as it hasnt arrived and the SODS at the post office didnt give me POP (my screw up i know)

thing is they used ther computer system to do the postage so havnt they got a POP on there systems and all i need to do is give the name and addy of they person

Carrrion - Well it should have been delivered by now, however they are very busy so there's still hope of it being delivered or returned to sender if you put your address on it as well.

If it gives you any hope I just had a packet arrive a week after posting.

Unfortunately they don't log address's for first class services so I doubt there's any chance of them verifying it in place of a POP.

Did you get a reciept for the transaction? If so there used to be a space at the bottom where you could write in the addresse information, which you may be able to use as a POP.

They're getting on my tits to

14-12-2006    00:59  Milton Keynes Depot  Out for delivery

13-12-2006  05:50  Milton Keynes Depot  Out for delivery

13-12-2006  05:49  Milton Keynes Depot  Arrived at delivery depot

12-12-2006  22:14  National Hub  Sorted in hub

12-12-2006  17:46  International Hub  En route to delivery depot

12-12-2006  17:39  International Hub  Arrived in destination country

05-12-2006  21:06  Delivery Agent - HONG KONG - PTT  Left origin country

05-12-2006  15:31  Delivery Agent - HONG KONG  Collected from customer

First it disappeared for 7 days then they've failed to deliver 2 days running, no 'you weren't in..' cards or anything and i waited in all day wednesday.

Dont use royal mail unless its worth less then a tenner now and then I send recorded.

Anything big I use parcel2go.com

Just sent rifle, mags, scope ect on a next day service aof less then £15. They even collect it from your door so no need to walk to the post office with a bit hefty box.

Sam

I'm in a similar position to most of you , in that I have 6 or 7 parcels outstanding all posted in the last couple of weeks (both domestic and international) the last 2 days I have had 1 parcel a day and the postie says there are massive piles of parcels stacked up in the sorting office they are trying to get through !

his way of summing it up was "the parcels are in *beep* state and are taking some time to sort"

hopefully they all arrive in the next few days

Archived