Airsoft knife kills?

TheRighteousBrothers

Gotta say, if anybody grabbed me around the neck and tried to use me as a human shield I'd ask them to let go, then I'd force em to let go.

That kind of thing can ruin both people's day.

I've had that done to me - wasn't best pleased. Grabbed by my webbing, thrown about, pushed onto my knees when the shooting started and pushed infront as a human shield. I would have quite happily walked as a prisoner...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had that done to me - wasn't best pleased. Grabbed by my webbing, thrown about, pushed onto my knees when the shooting started and pushed infront as a human shield. I would have quite happily walked as a prisoner...

And I'd imagine you'd be quite rightly annoyed. The situation I was in was nothing like as brutal. My arm was there simply to indicate pretty much where I wanted him to stand; I wasn't really 'holding him' with any strength. It's the difference between semi contact, and full contact in my opinion.

I don't have any rubber or fake knives, but I did tag someone out with a speedloader once.

I got into a situation where my opponent and I were right on top of each other and both out of ammo. I went for a spare mag but came up with my speedloader, so I clicked the plunger out and tagged him with it from about a foot away.

Agreed, that would be good…

So far I only have credit with:

1- Knife Kills

2- Shovel Kill (Think DOD Shovel :P )

3- Masonry Trowel Kill

A bb loader and a dildo may be a nice addition to my collection, though I also think a light saber kill may be well worth it too... rr perhaps something like one of those inflatable battleaxes?

I have been doing a lot of thinking about knife kills...

I still don't know what to make of them.

AFAIK, police (USA) are ordered to consider people within 10' of them with knives lethal threats and shoot at them, because if they have any kind of speed, they usually win.

I am hosting an airsoft game in the near future, and still cannot for the life of me choose what to do with knives.

This thread has helped a lot, but its mostly just a brag fest.

I am thinking since it is mostly inexperienced players, I will disallow them.

Brag fest, heh, thats why a knife kill is usualy used for.

Good idea with the new players. Though I honestly doubt that they would get that close to use them on one another, its better left for people who know each other and have some experiance use knives. Conflicts are usualy between green vs. experianced players or strangers.

Here in Finland, in most scenarios and events "knifekills" are accepted, but you have to do it by tapping the victim twice with your knuckle on the shoulder or somewhere near it. Yes tapping, not hitting in the face.

Using the tip of your barrel is forbidden, as said, in case someone just don't know how to do it properly. Rules for fake knives usually vary, but mostly plastic ones are forbidden, but liveroleplaying-style wrapped around sticks will do, aswell rubber training knives.

For me? Knifing someone is always something special to happen as it causes extreme humiliation to the victim and proves me god when I manage to knife someone.

Over knives, sticks and dildos I still prefer the coolest-ever-close combat weapon: The rear stock of my weapon. Man I'd love to run up to a surprised guy and smack him into the face with the rear of my M249. Yeehaa.

Too bad it is usually forbidden.

As it might hurt.

I must ask though - how does a person respond to a knife kill?  Like.. I'd probably end up firing before they were to touch me or I'd resist physical touching.  It would just be awkward to try and resist naturally like when someone comes at you to hit them, no?

Knife kills - at least for me - are only ever attempted at times when I have complete and total suprise and defense isn't a consideration.

If it wasn't the case, then I'd just put a round into their torso.

If you're expecting a knife kill by running screaming at the enemy with a ruber bayonet, you'll get cut down in a hail of fire and rightly so.

The repeated use of the word 'humiliation' kinda makes that obvious.

So, based upon what has gone before: We have the 'bang'/surrender rule for safety and the knife rule for genital comparison. Use one if you want to get a kill without hurting someone, use the other if you want to show off and make another player feel like crude.

If anyone who has used the term 'humiliation' in this conversation can prove me wrong on this assumption I'll give them a cookie.

The repeated use of the word 'humiliation' kinda makes that obvious.

So, based upon what has gone before: We have the 'bang'/surrender rule for safety and the knife rule for genital comparison. Use one if you want to get a kill without hurting someone, use the other if you want to show off and make another player feel like crude.

If anyone who has used the term 'humiliation' in this conversation can prove me wrong on this assumption I'll give them a cookie.

At electrowerkz there is a certain feeling that stylish kills should be rewarded. We know this is a game etc; but there is something very cool about a knife kill, very splinter cell-esque, that just adds to the enjoyment for all. And I do think it adds to the enjoyment, I have been knifed killed before and it's a much more satisfying death than a bang kill. It makes you want to get your own back; it is something that you can use to fuel yourself to sprint to the respawn and back, and TAKE HIM DOWN! So the 'humilliation' aspect is, for me, part of the fun; and I would say it is for almost all our beloved regulars.

Is that a reasonable enough expenation?

I could have used many words but I chose humiliation because I thought the boys and girls on these forums could take a big word like that in the right context. Please read through the larger posts here if you have not figured out what context we are trying to use. But I admit I was a bit vague myself.

If you do not like to “put down”, “humiliate”, or “make people feel bad” then you should not be playing any sports whatsoever since the person who looses is put down, does feel bad about it, and is humiliated in their own way. That is what I mean by humiliation, its a part of every sport and when someone other team beats you by extraordinarily difficult means, you fell worse.

A knife kill is no different except it is amusing and a challenge for the person doing it. That is why you use the knife. Usually it is only experienced players that do it… why? Take a game like Halo or Counterstrike (yes, bad analogy, but work with me here)… which players are running around and knifing people or using weird tactics to kill people? Its not the new players- new players are trying to just learn the game and survive- instead it’s the veteran players who are just finding some new way to make the game more fun and amusing.

When you pull out that knife and go for the knife kill you don’t really care if you die. If you did care you would have already shot the other player. Instead you are purposely making it more difficult on yourself to make it more challenging, different, and more entertaining. If you get shot to pieces because the guy turned around or you stepped on a twig you didn’t see… its ok, because you already accepted this fate and were given the opportunity to do something different and took it. By this you have taken a situation and made it more difficult on yourself so naturally your peers will count the action as harder to achieve and praise you more for it…

God, its happened again! I have written on these forums for a while, and this is another case of:

“Why is it that every airsoft discussion turns into a debate about the fundamentals of physics, economics, and stipulations about the market trends in 30 years?”

This argument is about why people chose to use knifes instead of safety shots or bangs. The object is not to humiliate the other person (thought in a way it is and it does since they two are connected) but rather to make it an entertaining challenge for the player doing it. If to you this means I am doing it because I want bigger balls… well then all the other show offs in the art of making things more difficult: think circus entertainers, triathlon athletes, or people who just challenge themselves and then expect some recognition in the end- must all be in it to have larger testicles.

Even the women.

Kov

Airsoft in its very being is a sport of the most extreme "one-upmanship." Players are always trying to outdo each other in the accuracy of their impressions, the quality of their loadouts, the amount of ###### they can attach to their gun, the experience they have in the real world, their knowledge about others' experience in the real world, their rep on a forum, the sites they play at, the people they play with, the teams they're a part of, the tactics they use, how many kills they get, and how they get them. Surely knifekills are only another achievement to be made? And unlike other aspects of airsoft, they have nothing to do with how much money you can throw at the sport, nor how long you've been playing, nor how old you are, etc... yet it has everything to do with good fieldcraft, sneaky tactics, or quickly taking advantage of good fortune. Whichever way you go about it, knifekills make for great anecdotes.

And as for those on the receiving end? Well, if you're walking around armed to the teeth with the latest optics, automatic weapons, cutting edge gear, thousands of rounds, and a team of baddasses backing you up, and some guy manages to b*tch-slap you with smelly fish, then clearly you deserved to die in a most humiliating way. Replace smelly fish with a held/thrown flexible rubber melee weapon, and you have a successful knifekill.

Just for the record, the only time i've ever been knifekilled was whilst heading down a stairwell as a VIP in a corporate event. I had half the CP team in front, and half behind, with a PPO at my shoulder. Perfect formation. As luck would have it, an assassin managed to place himself in enough shadow (with no cover whatsoever) to hide himself so well that 4 members of the CP team passed him, and just as i turned to speak to the PPO, he jumped out and tagged my big dumb *albatross*. It was a most humbling experience, but i was more than happy to give cudos to the guy that earned it.

I am hosting an airsoft game in the near future, and still cannot for the life of me choose what to do with knives.

I am thinking since it is mostly inexperienced players, I will disallow them.

As others have said, it'll largely depend on your marshals.

If you trust your marshals (and have enough of them) to keep an eye on every engagement and they have enough wits to keep things sensible then I'd suggest telling people to try for a kinfe kill IF they are sure of it but remind them that a definate shot in the back from 5m is more use to your team than a failed knife-kill.

As a deent half-way measure you might consider enforcing some sort of no moving or running with knives rule. At least that'd allow people to hide behind doorways/trees and get knife kills.

Your last resort, if the players have that frenzied mad-puppy look about them, is simply no knife kills.

Oh, another option, if people REALLY want to try it out, might be to script something into the game. Set it up so that a bunch of people are guarding a camp then tell them that they need to post sentries to guard the camp and if they are taken out they aren't allowed to alert their team members.

Then set it up so the defending force is facing one way. Tell the attacking force to split in two and mount a main offence while having a second unit actually sneak into the camp from behind.

People WANT to have a good time so they do tend to immerse themselves in the scenarios pretty well. They'll assume it;s a set-up but probably play along anyway.

At electrowerkz there is a certain feeling that stylish kills should be rewarded. We know this is a game etc; but there is something very cool about a knife kill, very splinter cell-esque, that just adds to the enjoyment for all. And I do think it adds to the enjoyment, I have been knifed killed before and it's a much more satisfying death than a bang kill. It makes you want to get your own back; it is something that you can use to fuel yourself to sprint to the respawn and back, and TAKE HIM DOWN! So the 'humilliation' aspect is, for me, part of the fun; and I would say it is for almost all our beloved regulars.

Is that a reasonable enough expenation?

I accept that it looks cooler in a splinter cell manner but I don't see why the 'get humiliated, want to seek revenge for the humiliation' element that your describing is a good thing. If I get taken out by a classy kill it normally just encourages me to be impressed with the other player rather than to want to 'TAKE THEM DOWN' as you have described.

maybe I just play the game in a different manner to yourself, (which does not mean that either of us are playing it wrong).

Airsoft in its very being is a sport of the most extreme "one-upmanship." Players are always trying to outdo each other in the accuracy of their impressions, the quality of their loadouts, the amount of ###### they can attach to their gun, the experience they have in the real world, their knowledge about others' experience in the real world, their rep on a forum, the sites they play at, the people they play with, the teams they're a part of, the tactics they use, how many kills they get, and how they get them. Surely knifekills are only another achievement to be made? And unlike other aspects of airsoft, they have nothing to do with how much money you can throw at the sport, nor how long you've been playing, nor how old you are, etc... yet it has everything to do with good fieldcraft, sneaky tactics, or quickly taking advantage of good fortune. Whichever way you go about it, knifekills make for great anecdotes.

okay: not sure that the one-upmanship is the core element of the game but I will agree that competitiveness is a big part of it and that knife kills (assuming that they can be done safely) could make up a part of it, just like any other kill

And as for those on the receiving end? Well, if you're walking around armed to the teeth with the latest optics, automatic weapons, cutting edge gear, thousands of rounds, and a team of baddasses backing you up, and some guy manages to b*tch-slap you with smelly fish, then clearly you deserved to die in a most humiliating way. Replace smelly fish with a held/thrown flexible rubber melee weapon, and you have a successful knifekill.

'deserved to die in a most humiliating way'? so anyone with good kit and a good team should be made to suffer if they get taken out by a knife attack? your not talking about taking out on a one off incident a jerkoff player to show them their not a god, your talking about lording it over everyone on the field.

sorry but that dosen't cut with me. Are you trying to play a game or show someone up / make a point about your leet ninjs skills? If the knife is such a better kill why do we even bother with such expensive nonsense as an AEG? What you have described isn't the essentially friendly and all around enjoyable game I'm used to playing.

It was a most humbling experience, but i was more than happy to give cudos to the guy that earned it.

you got taken out by a good attack, the fact it was a knife makes no difference to me. But as for the giving cudos bit: heck yeah! Someone does a good take then give them props for it :-) I just don't see the need for one to win by the other losing so bad as to be humiliated.

Raggedyman, no insult intended, but it seems that you are the only person here that does not really understand what we are trying to say in this thread. Again, please go through our posts and wade through the muk and vagueness.

To address what you said about l337 ninja skills, I have my total respect and defense to Janno’s post. Again, we are in the realm of:

“Why is it that every airsoft discussion turns into a debate about the fundamentals of physics, economics, and stipulations about the market trends in 30 years?”

So anything I am about to say can be ripped apart relatively, so please don’t because we all drive cars without worrying about the .1% chance something bad will happen.

Very few players in actually airsoft as a sport. People play airsoft to get gratification of playing a sport where their team wins, where they “kill” an enemy player, and they can show off by getting the latest gear, strap a ton of it to their bodies, and then brag about the five years they spent in the army peeling potatoes. Not everyone is like this, but in my many years of airsoft and many other peoples shared experiences this is the sad reality. So when Jenno says that someone “armed to the teeth with the latest optics, automatic weapons, cutting edge gear, thousands of rounds, and a team of badass backing you up” gets knifed by someone, they honestly deserve it. Again, please read my explanation of humiliation before the use it out of context again. It was my mistake to call it that and I have been trying to change it for several posts already.

Why do they deserve it? Because other than (again you can argue relativistic here, but please don’t since that’s all that people do on these forums) the fraction of a percent where an experienced player was knifed in a very well created setup, the person clearly does not have the experience and skill to carry those weapons and play on that badass team AND brag about it. It is easy to get the best gear and play on a good team and brag about it, but it takes skill and experience to actually get someone with a knife. That’s why experienced players do not get knifed (again I don’t want to hear the relativistic “well someone I knew said that someone they know…” since statistically an experienced player will get killed and knifed a heck of a lot less than someone without that experaince).

So, I hope I have clarified why we think that show offs deserve to get a humiliating defeat. Because we are showing that they are actually just dress-up-soldiers with plastic guns on a field with a bunch of teenagers and middleaged men. If it hasn’t happened to you yet, I am sure one day one of these people will ruin your entire airsoft day simply because he thinks he is god on earth and his two years in the marine core make him vastly superior to you and your ilk.

Archived